New Hire - Honeymoon

Beatle85

I was just recently hired as a part time package handler for UPS. Two weeks after my start date I am scheduled to go to Jamaica for my honeymoon. I have not told them about it yet because I am afraid it will deter them from keeping me for the job. What is the best way to go about telling them. I cannot reschedule obviously and I just don't want to be fired because of this. Any suggestions?

UPSGUY72

I was just recently hired as a part time package handler for UPS. Two weeks after my start date I am scheduled to go to Jamaica for my honeymoon. I have not told them about it yet because I am afraid it will deter them from keeping me for the job. What is the best way to go about telling them. I cannot reschedule obviously and I just don't want to be fired because of this. Any suggestions?

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME when did you plan your honeymoon yesterday? You should have told them when they said you had the job that your getting married and have a honeymoon planned for such and such week.

Your screwwed becasue now when you say its for your honeymoon there going to think that your lying but anyways you need to call the person that hired you probably the HR rep and tell them if you haven't started working. If you started already you need to talk to your FT Sup for your shift not a PT sup and tell them that you where afriad to say anything before becaue you really needed the job.

Here is your dilemma you where hired during a free period meaning that you don't gain Pt senority until Jan 1 meaning that UPS can get rid of you for any reason between now and DEC 31 and the union isn't going to be able to help you. I don't see a future for you working at UPS if you take a week off 2 weeks after getting hired for a honeymoon that you planned long time ago and you just forgot to tell the person who said you got the job you need a week off becasue of prior plans.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

white lie. snowboarding accident, or something. Worst that can happen is that you get canned.....

How are you going to explain a snowboard accident if you are able to walk in the next week with nothing wrong and no DR note ?? Just tell them the truth and take your chances lying never pans out. They are only going tell you that your not need anymore.

Tell the truth it is what it is. It will get you ready for all the $hi+ your about to eat once you get married. Builds character

LOL +10

Actually maybe not. I`ve never met a member of management that can put the fear of God in you like a p.o`d wife.

Especially an Irish one.

clueless

... I don't see a future for you working at UPS if you take a week off 2 weeks after getting hired..

UPS or any other employer on the planet--this is ridiculous. OP should've been upfront from the start about his schedule. Taking a vacation after 2 weeks!?, c'mon, really now....

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I really think you screwed the pooch here. You should have been upfront with the HR person- they may have still hired you, only after you got back from your honeymoon. Now you have two choices- Quit and go on your honeymoon, or work, and forget the trip to Jamaica- Maybe the travel company will refund your money.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
ahh yeah, cool runnings mon.

"Some people say, you know they can't believe, Jamaica we have a bobslead team. We have the One darice, and the one Junior, Yul brenner and the man sanka. The fastest of the fastest of Jamaican sprinters, respect the man Irv Blitzer"

I love that damn movie.

Back on topic, I agree that you should have told them during your final interview, and made sure they made a note of it. When I applied 4 years ago it was in March, and my wedding and honeymoon were planned for August. I told HR when I interviewed, and even when I was called back I made sure to remind them and it was fine, so thats what I think you should have done. However, its a bit too late for that