New Hire, Keep asking me to go to a supervisor role!

As the name suggest I recently (still haven't made seniority) and the hub I am at is short staffed across the board (drivers preload and supervisors) so basically I was "thrown to the wolves" when I started preloading the second day and did 3 trucks with very little help, which is fine I prefer to learn that way. Personally I love the job and apparently I am good at it. I am around 180 pph and it is only increasing.

On my second day working I was approached by HR, and they asked if I was interested in going into a supervisor role which I said I would have to get back to them ( in all honesty I want to drive and that's all) well, my belt line supervisor also has asked me recently and now a pretty high up hub manager (I have no idea what his official title is, but I know all the supervisors wait on him hand and foot basically) and I were walking together and then he said "Hey Steve (not my real name), I want to promote you to a pt sup as soon as possible, I have heard nothing but good things from all your sups." I honestly didn't think he would remember me (he came in to introduce himself the first day) and I told him I would have to think about it. Just to be clear I want to drive eventually and that's about it. In time that might change but for now I am pretty solid on the idea to move to a driver role after I wreck my knees and back preloading for however long it takes to drive.

Which I why I come to hear and ask some fellow upsers. Any info or guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I wouldn't recommend becoming a pt sup. Talk to some of your drivers about the wait time for becoming a full time driver. If your hub is big enough, there might not be much of a wait.

SixSidedAnomaly

As the name suggest I recently (still haven't made seniority) and the hub I am at is short staffed across the board (drivers preload and supervisors) so basically I was "thrown to the wolves" when I started preloading the second day and did 3 trucks with very little help, which is fine I prefer to learn that way. Personally I love the job and apparently I am good at it. I am around 180 pph and it is only increasing.

On my second day working I was approached by HR, and they asked if I was interested in going into a supervisor role which I said I would have to get back to them ( in all honesty I want to drive and that's all) well, my belt line supervisor also has asked me recently and now a pretty high up hub manager (I have no idea what his official title is, but I know all the supervisors wait on him hand and foot basically) and I were walking together and then he said "Hey Steve (not my real name), I want to promote you to a pt sup as soon as possible, I have heard nothing but good things from all your sups." I honestly didn't think he would remember me (he came in to introduce himself the first day) and I told him I would have to think about it. Just to be clear I want to drive eventually and that's about it. In time that might change but for now I am pretty solid on the idea to move to a driver role after I wreck my knees and back preloading for however long it takes to drive.

Which I why I come to hear and ask some fellow upsers. Any info or guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.
New preloader as well, just finished my third week. Keep in mind that, as a driver, your knees will get wrecked as well (all those packages that go on the truck have to be taken off). As a previous poster said, lie low and work safe until you hit your 30. Utilize your union steward as well if they pressure you too hard.

@bob mcmuffin South of indy. How far south is left for you to decide.

It is weird though because I have heard horror stories of people waiting almost near a decade to get a CHANCE to drive and in my first day (the day where you watch all the safety videos from what feels like the 80's) someone came in and said if anyone is over 21 with a clean driving record we could use you to drive after 30 days. Like I said above is what I want to do eventually.

PT Car Washer

@bob mcmuffin South of indy. How far south is left for you to decide.

It is weird though because I have heard horror stories of people waiting almost near a decade to get a CHANCE to drive and in my first day (the day where you watch all the safety videos from what feels like the 80's) someone came in and said if anyone is over 21 with a clean driving record we could use you to drive after 30 days. Like I said above is what I want to do eventually.
Sounds like my building. Anyone 21 with a good driving record are being given a chance to qualify. You have answered your own question.

KOG72

I’m full of it
If you decide to be a pt sup,before your first day swing by the store and load up on Chapstick because you will be doing a lot of butt kissing

Box Ox

864.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
Unless you have a college degree or are a real champ at sucking the D, being a PT sup is a dead end position. They talk it up like you could own the company one day but it's all a ruse. And if you were to become a supervisor you can forget the chance of becoming a driver. Very few make the transition from a non-union position to a union position.

ManInBrown

PT sups are pond scum. There is nothing lower on the food chain at UPS. If you want to drive DO NOT BECOME A SUP

And on a side note. Do you know what loading 3 trucks with very little help gets you? 4 trucks

Zodlion

Show them all you can do and they will use it (that's not nesicarily a good thing), as for the sup position I warn all new hires they throw my way to think long and hard, I personally advise against it in general if you stay with the company any length of time you'll make more money with better benefeits being on the union side of things, and as its been said sup is a dead end position

budlight

hey friend* face
Unless you have a college degree or are a real champ at sucking the D, being a PT sup is a dead end position. They talk it up like you could own the company one day but it's all a ruse. And if you were to become a supervisor you can forget the chance of becoming a driver. Very few make the transition from a non-union position to a union position.

Well everyone, much appreciated. Would have gotten back to you earlier, but I have my night time job I and today was the first time I had more than 3 hours of sleep since sunday.