New Hire mania.

Code43

New hires aren't staying more than a few months at a time at my station. management is so hard of for bodies that they're hiring extra people just to stand around on deck and wait for people to quit. We don't even bother learning names anymore. anyone else experiencing this?

FedGT

Pretty much. Nobody wants to work anymore when they can get years worth of government assistance. Work ethic is a dying, almost dead characteristic in this "every one gets a medal for trying" mentality that has been established.

slowdriver

Pretty much. Nobody wants to work anymore when they can get years worth of government assistance. Work ethic is a dying, almost dead characteristic in this "every one gets a medal for trying" mentality that has been established.
No the problem is, nafta, gatt, the tpp, and the federal reserve, it has destroyed the middle class, and any chance for my kids... We are now competing with 3rd world labor, and the Fed is papering over it... /rant

FedGT

No the problem is, nafta, gatt, the tpp, and the federal reserve, it has destroyed the middle class, and any chance for my kids... We are now competing with 3rd world labor, and the Fed is papering over it... /rant

I agree with both. Middle class has been wrecked, employers have the opportunity with technological advancements to do much more with much less people. All in all though it still comes down to individuals wanting to put in as little as they possibly can for as short as they possibly can while trying to take advantage of the most they possibly can. Bring all those factors into the mentality of a 65:35-95:5 debt to income ratio because everyone needs to keep up or look better than their friends. Tell me how many $50,000-$100,000 cars you see driving on the road, how many people do you know that buy homes $200,000-$300,000 more than what they SHOULD buy.
The govt has crippled the nation but the mentality of entitlements and always consuming more and more has contributed about just as much.
Stop buying for now and start saving/investing for your future and everyone can start helping to bring this nation back to what it used to be.

Express Courier

As far as my station, we have a solid core of vets (probably 70% of the station) that have been there for 10+ years. I can't keep tabs on the pm crew though. It seems we promote handlers real quick to driver. I can't think of many that bail out after promotion though. I think we have about 100 couriers at my station and I think maybe 5 of them just really suck at the job. Many others are lazy but I digress.

fedex_rtd

I was talking with a ramp manager the other week about the revolving door at our ramp, his excuse and reasoning was that employees were getting "promoted" to DGO stations, I asked him if so many numbers of your employees are getting "promoted" to work at DGO stations, what is happening to the the drivers at the stations??? He didn't have an answer for that one.

This past week half, yes half of the ramp handlers just didn't show up in the morning...guess they found better paying jobs, we just can't seem to keep handlers, or new employees from leaving after a short time.

Slow driver is obviously a new member and has NO clue to this issue....non of the issues he stated have anything to do with crap pay and fedex greed.

Purplepackage

Out of 40 couriers at my station (yeah we are that small). There are only 2 people who have been there less than 10 years and they are 2 guys we hired last December.

They are both part time but one of them has a work ethic that reminds me of most of us when we started this job, just hungry for more he wants work and he will take whatever he just wants to work.

The other guy pretty much sums up today work ethic of people in their early 20s. Guy has 15 stops 2 saturdays ago and a very heavy route (on overtime becasue we all are except him) wants to give him 4 stops will take him 15 minutes tops. And he freaks out, says he's tired of being dumped on and he isn't taking that :censored2:. I was just in shock, it's 8:30 in the morning all of his stuff is a 12pm committ and he runs stuff 10 minutes from the building. I knew he was lazy but give me a break

overflowed

Same here, most pt drivers quit in a few weeks. The handlers aren't even given uniforms till about a month now. I think because they assume they won't stay anyway.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
New hires aren't staying more than a few months at a time at my station. management is so hard of for bodies that they're hiring extra people just to stand around on deck and wait for people to quit. We don't even bother learning names anymore. anyone else experiencing this?

Oh, yes. We have a "Now Hiring" sign in front of our station and "Hiring Events". Usually a handful of people show-up, and maybe one or two apply. Word is getting out there that this is a a shathole of a company. The few they actually hire are gone within a month or two.

MassWineGuy

New hires mostly stay with it at our station. We have lots of drivers with 20 years or more. I think it depends in part on management quality.

war daddy

i am one of those new guys waiting on deck right now to drive. guess what im pissed at the co. everyone know ups diver is a great paying job but no one knows the bull to get the job. in my center the trainees are used to cut ot from drivers. splits they are called. guess what if its slow, which it is. wait around to go home at 10 with no pay. can't imagine why there is high turn over

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
i am one of those new guys waiting on deck right now to drive. guess what im :censored2: at the co. everyone know ups diver is a great paying job but no one knows the bull to get the job. in my center the trainees are used to cut ot from drivers. splits they are called. guess what if its slow, which it is. wait around to go home at 10 with no pay. can't imagine why there is high turn over

You DO know you posted this in the FedEx forum, don't you?