New hire, package driver

GenericUsername

As everyone has stated, be there early and ready to work. Take more than you think you'll eat as you're going to want to keep yourself filled up with energy throughout the day. Not sure of your money situation, but an extra light of some sort would be very beneficial to you with the sun going down earlier now. Sure, the package car has a light in it but it sucks to look around in sometime. The DIAD does have a light on it, but still, you don't want to run that completely out and look like a fool. Get a good cooler on wheels eventually, bring a towel, fill a jug of water, and good luck!

As everyone has stated, be there early and ready to work. Take more than you think you'll eat as you're going to want to keep yourself filled up with energy throughout the day. Not sure of your money situation, but an extra light of some sort would be very beneficial to you with the sun going down earlier now. Sure, the package car has a light in it but it sucks to look around in sometime. The DIAD does have a light on it, but still, you don't want to run that completely out and look like a fool. Get a good cooler on wheels eventually, bring a towel, fill a jug of water, and good luck!

Flashlight, more than average lunchbag, jug of water, towel (for sweat?)...

I definitely appreciate everybody for the tips

GenericUsername

Yes, the towel is for sweat...or dirt. Or to wipe off if it rains. I live in Florida and my typical setup is a cooler to hold water + food, backpack with an extra undershirt/brown shirt, deodorant, A & D Cream in case chaffing occurs, map of the county/surrounding area, LED headlamp to put on my hat, wipes/TP, and a towel. You never know when nature calls some days while out on the road and in worst case scenario, having toiletries is a savior.

WorknLateHuh

Let us know how it goes. Be prepared to have an impatient on-road supervisor rushing you to the point where it feels ridiculous, but it will be worth it to hang in there. Stay focused and alert.

opey

you can pick up a great rechargeable LED spotlight from harbor freight for 10 bucks, you are going to be needing that to find house numbers since its pretty much dark by about 6:30 or so and just getting earlier... Sup will likely drive the whole first day so you can focus on the diad and delivery aspect... 2nd day you should drive for at least a portion, 3rd day you probably will drive the whole day. As long as you have progressed well enough, 4th day you should be on your own.... btw, JFK center?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
you can pick up a great rechargeable LED spotlight from harbor freight for 10 bucks, you are going to be needing that to find house numbers since its pretty much dark by about 6:30 or so and just getting earlier... Sup will likely drive the whole first day so you can focus on the diad and delivery aspect... 2nd day you should drive for at least a portion, 3rd day you probably will drive the whole day. As long as you have progressed well enough, 4th day you should be on your own.... btw, JFK center?
Great and harbor freight don't exactly go together. Lol

opey

Great and harbor freight don't exactly go together. Lol
I will have to disagree.. i have a ton of stuff from harbor freight, from basic hand tools to power tools, and pretty much everything has done the job and didnt fail. i did break one of their breaker bars once, brought it back and got a new one. but anyway, this is just a flashlight... it does work GREAT, and you cant beat the price. plus, no batteries

Brownslave688

I will have to disagree.. i have a ton of stuff from harbor freight, from basic hand tools to power tools, and pretty much everything has done the job and didnt fail. i did break one of their breaker bars once, brought it back and got a new one. but anyway, this is just a flashlight... it does work GREAT, and you cant beat the price. plus, no batteries
Virtually everything I've bought from there that electric has fried. Mostly I buy stuff for one time use because I know long term it will fail.

They have a few gems there like the Pittsburgh pro ratchets. If you know no different the stuff isn't bad. If you have used higher end stuff you know it's not that great.

opey

I agree the power tools arent pro quality and wont last if you expect to use them every day, but ive never had one fail. off the top, ive got a shop vac, sawzall, 2 sanders, a circular saw, d/a polisher, turbine sprayer, 2 angle grinders, a welder, couple of dremels and probably a couple of others im forgetting... never had one fail and theyve all been thru a moderate to high amount of use. one of the grinders is over 10 years old, from before they even had local stores near me and still works. and even if it does break, most of the stuff you can buy 5 of before getting to the cost of 1 of the brand names tools.

Brownslave688

I agree the power tools arent pro quality and wont last if you expect to use them every day, but ive never had one fail. off the top, ive got a shop vac, sawzall, 2 sanders, a circular saw, d/a polisher, turbine sprayer, 2 angle grinders, a welder, couple of dremels and probably a couple of others im forgetting... never had one fail and theyve all been thru a moderate to high amount of use. one of the grinders is over 10 years old, from before they even had local stores near me and still works. and even if it does break, most of the stuff you can buy 5 of before getting to the cost of 1 of the brand names tools.
There are other reasons to buy quality tools like we are paid good money and should use our money to support other good paying jobs. Not sweat factories in China.

So day 1 is in the books. We had 47 stops. Supervisor drove as i did the diad and deliveries. He taught me the other stuff, organizing, prepping for the next stop...

It was a good day...he said ill drive tomorrow.