New hire. - preload shift

Miranda Sr.

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster. I just got hired on by ups on preload shift 11pm to 4am. I am wondering will I be issued a badge to get in the building, will they hold a week of pay and can you chose paper check if you don't want dd. Also I was told at the tour/interview the job wasn't temporary that it was permanent. I'm reading about coming bracts will I have to sign one and will I RECIEVE a contract book will all my information now that I am hired?

billerz

Those are all great questions for your HR rep. Some people here may give you answers, but things may be different at your building.
All I can say for sure is your HR rep will definitely not give you a contract book lol.

billerz

I don't know when you will get a badge, my building doesn't use them. You can get a live check, but why would you want to? You will need to join the union, but you need to qualify first. Normally it's 30 working days, but that varies as well. Just bust your butt until you qualify, good luck 8)

GenericUsername

Upstate, I was getting paper checks until like 2 months ago. My FT Preload Manager decided that he was going to be the only one who was going to give out checks. Half the time you couldn't find him, so I'd just take mine off his desk. Then he locked the door and forget about them. So I'd go in there Saturday morning and get my check then since I drive air on Saturdays. Then he wouldn't even bother dealing with them anymore and then they'd be on one of the 5 belts or in the OMS office... So I went with direct deposit finally after playing scavenger hunt.

GenericUsername

Now, to answer OP's question. My building doesn't deal with badges. If yours does, I'm sure you'll be given one pretty quickly. No, they don't hold pay. You'll work the first week M-friend and then receive your check the following Friday. Yes you can get a normal check if you don't want direct deposit. Not sure of the second to last question, but you will get a whole lot of stuff about the union in the mail, including a contract book.

snarts

Just note that although they say it's permanent, it really is not. If you're not working up to your supervisors standard they will get rid of you before 30 days

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster. I just got hired on by ups on preload shift 11pm to 4am. I am wondering will I be issued a badge to get in the building, will they hold a week of pay and can you chose paper check if you don't want dd. Also I was told at the tour/interview the job wasn't temporary that it was permanent. I'm reading about coming bracts will I have to sign one and will I RECIEVE a contract book will all my information now that I am hired?
No contract book until you qualify and get into the union.

km3

Sounds like you're on the Midnight shift, not Preload...They might just have you doing some of the Preload work. We have a skeleton crew of Preloaders on Midnight here.

Nobody knows when you'll get your badge. Just be patient. Make sure you have your supervisor or manager's number so they can come sign you in, though.

If you're not in a RTW (right-to-work) state, you'll automatically be in the union after you pass probation. The length of probation varies. In my local it's 34 working days, in others it's 30, and still in others I've heard 90. You'll need to ask somebody in your building.

You can get a union book once you're in the union, but if your stewards are as lazy as mine, you'll have to track them down and ask. Don't expect somebody to walk up to you and give you one.

By The Book

Now, to answer OP's question. My building doesn't deal with badges. If yours does, I'm sure you'll be given one pretty quickly. No, they don't hold pay. You'll work the first week M-friend and then receive your check the following Friday. Yes you can get a normal check if you don't want direct deposit. Not sure of the second to last question, but you will get a whole lot of stuff about the union in the mail, including a contract book.
Yes, they do hold pay. You said they didn't but explained very clearly how they do. By doing direct deposit you can still elect to receive a paper check....which will say void on it so you can't cash it but can use it to verify all your hours and such. Me personally, I would do it this way. You will probably sign papers once you've passed your probation and are a permanent employee. You may be handed a contract book after this point, but I would ask a steward for one when you are a permanent employee. Our local prints only so many and when an employee leaves, that book is usually gone as well. Most of the people hired after the contract books were passed out have to wait until the next contract books come out.