New hire question about hours.

NickD

Hi everyone, I’m seeking some guidance and hopefully reassurance that I haven’t been duped.

I’m about a month into my career with UPS. I’m coming from USPS and before that, FedEx. I was hired as a full time, permanent driver, based on my experience in the delivery service.

My concern is this: I’m now hearing that a bunch of drivers are just “stand in” guys or extras and have to ask senior drivers if they want the day off so they can work. Some of these guys have been waiting around for over five years to get their own route! Is this typical? I’m married with five kids, I can’t afford to work part time, especially when I left USPS to join UPS.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m afraid that I’ve been told I’m full time permanent just to get me in the door for peak season and then after peak, I won’t be able to get hours.
Is this typical? What do I do? Who do I talk to?
Thanks in advance, everyone.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi everyone, I’m seeking some guidance and hopefully reassurance that I haven’t been duped.

I’m about a month into my career with UPS. I’m coming from USPS and before that, FedEx. I was hired as a full time, permanent driver, based on my experience in the delivery service.

My concern is this: I’m now hearing that a bunch of drivers are just “stand in” guys or extras and have to ask senior drivers if they want the day off so they can work. Some of these guys have been waiting around for over five years to get their own route! Is this typical? I’m married with five kids, I can’t afford to work part time, especially when I left USPS to join UPS.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m afraid that I’ve been told I’m full time permanent just to get me in the door for peak season and then after peak, I won’t be able to get hours.

yes it’s true

I think I would have asked these questions before I quit another job
But that’s just me

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Be aggressive, go find the guys that like dead days...you’ll find work. Your goal should be to try and learn 5 routes that belong to guys who want to go home. If you do that you shouldn’t have any problem getting at least 4 days in

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Work is assigned on a seniority basis. Your regional supplement to the master contract will have language concerning your situation. Ours allows us to work in the building after a certain number of lay off days. This might be rough for a while, but before long you will have more work than you ever wanted.

NickD

In FedEx home and ground services, there is no union and no seniority. At USPS, I was in the union and there is seniority but it’s very clear cut. As you move up in seniority, your title changes, your pay rate changes. This doesn’t seem to be the case with UPS.

GenericUsername

You should learn at least 5 routes, maybe even 10 to 15 decently so you can go ask multiple people if they want a day off. Hell, I hate to say it but your best bet will be those routes that reeeaaaallly suck and are always heavy. Or your other option is to make an absolute boatload of money from October through January (I'm talking 14 hour days every day) and kick back and have it easy during the rest of the year.

Also, since you're FT, you could bump into the building and work preload/sort/etc to get your 8 hours.

In FedEx home and ground services, there is no union and no seniority. At USPS, I was in the union and there is seniority but it’s very clear cut. As you move up in seniority, your title changes, your pay rate changes. This doesn’t seem to be the case with UPS.
At UPS you go through a 4 year wage progression. Your seniority gives you the rights to pick routes and vacations.

over9five

Staff member
HERE, we are guaranteed 8 hours every day. I'm pretty sure it's not your job to find yourself a route every day.
Check with your steward.

Methods Man

If your really stressed about finding work just opt to work inside (if your laid of work a week straight in my supplement) at a lower wage than if you were driving, but hey you’ll at least get your 40hrs in. Talk to you steward to find out your options.

Ackerlin

If you made your 30 days, demand your 8 hours, if its allowed. But yea starting at the bottom of the totem pole you are basically "stand in" til you pay your dues and let ups bend you over a few times.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Most people live check to check and are in debt up to the elbows.
1599372074906.gif

Ups does not invest in human capital. They use you to deliver packages for them. Your pay is compensation. Sadly, your Family will not be a concern for them. Turnover is high for a reason. Somebody bailed so you could walk in the door. Find out why.