New Hire Question?

BBrett

I just started on Tuesday, on the pre load shift loading package cars. Ive been starting at around 2:30 or 3:00 and getting home at about 9:45 everyday and its not even peak season. I start class at 10:15 and its about a 20min drive to get there. The times dont really work because Im getting about 30hrs a week and Im a full time student. If I were to quit whats the best way of doing it? I dont even have the supervisors number, or anything.

CHALLY9TX

You should probably talk to your supervisor first and see if he can let you go early so you can go to school.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AndUPSER

Maybe talk to them about getting off 20 minutes earlier or something? Last semester I worked 35-39 hours a week, double shifting, and went to school. Now I'm on preload and the schedule is much better for me. I get off around 9:00 then got to school about noon.

You should at least have HR 's number, who should have your supervisor's number.

BBrett

Alright, Ill talk to my supervisor on Monday and see if they can let me change the times. If not unfortunately I will have to quit.

TheFigurehead

I just started on Tuesday, on the pre load shift loading package cars. Ive been starting at around 2:30 or 3:00 and getting home at about 9:45 everyday and its not even peak season. I start class at 10:15 and its about a 20min drive to get there. The times dont really work because Im getting about 30hrs a week and Im a full time student. If I were to quit whats the best way of doing it? I dont even have the supervisors number, or anything.

Let me guess, when you applied for the job they told you you'd be working 4-8, 20 hours max, right? They love to do that at my hub. I feel bad for the new hires. I started as a loader in the overnight shift. They told be I'd see a max of 18 hours a week, and work 11 - 2:30. The reality is that Those guys are typically there until 4-:430 in the morning. I get up at 8 for another job. I had to switch to the unload, as, at least I get out at 3, at the latest.

Seriously, if they'd just be honest with new hires, most of them wouldn't quit in the first three weeks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
9:45 is really late though. That shouldn't be happening unless its peak. They should be able to get you out earlier.

BBrett

Let me guess, when you applied for the job they told you you'd be working 4-8, 20 hours max, right? They love to do that at my hub. I feel bad for the new hires. I started as a loader in the overnight shift. They told be I'd see a max of 18 hours a week, and work 11 - 2:30. The reality is that Those guys are typically there until 4-:430 in the morning. I get up at 8 for another job. I had to switch to the unload, as, at least I get out at 3, at the latest.

Seriously, if they'd just be honest with new hires, most of them wouldn't quit in the first three weeks.

Actually when I applied they said I would be on Midnight shift and home by 5AM. Then the day before I started HR called and said be there at 3AM for work.

BBrett

Talk to HR about working the sort you applied for. Otherwise I agree with you, your education is a lot more important then a $10.00 an hour job.

When I called HR they said the only way for me to even be able to switch shifts or to a different location in the building I would have to have 6Months in already.