New hire Temporary cover driver, few questions??

mark39

I know these questions maybe hard to answer but if you all could share your experiences with me. I was hired off the street as a temporary cover driver, part time and have been working the AM shift for sorting preload and unloading the trailers. I'm a bit skeptical on all this. My question is and I would assume it depends what hub you are working at but am curious how many years could it take for myself to move into a full time driver position? I have read some say 3 years and that just seems like a long long time. I am single, no kids and am in my late 30's and I'm not getting any younger. Just debating if I should go back to my old job because I'm feeling this is more a job for someone who's 18 living with there parents for support. Thanks

Please share your experiences.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
All depends on where you are at. Here we've had nonstop emergency package car driver openings.

literally anyone around you should tell you how long the wait is.

Maybe you should do seasonal driving and see what you feel like then. Just know that regular routes are about 20 times worse than the cushy seasonal routes.

mark39

All depends on where you are at. Here we've had nonstop emergency package car driver openings.

literally anyone around you should tell you how long the wait is.

Maybe you should do seasonal driving and see what you feel like then. Just know that regular routes are about 20 times worse than the cushy seasonal routes.

Thanks, I was told which not sure I believe it that me and two others were hired before October and they claim after the holiday season is over we won't be let go but time will tell if thats true. Still feeling it out but there is one supervisor who seems pretty level headed and I will ask him about how long it will take. It's kinda a trip how big a turn around UPS is because I've had a part time sup ask me if I was quiting when I was clearly just going to take a leak. I take it they need people BAD at this hub or afraid of loosing good help. I don't really care what route they were to put me on honestly, I would still just do the best I can and thats it.
Thanks

JustDeliverIt

I worked preload 10.5 years before I got offered FT driving, and that was last year. Just depends on your area, some buildings are hiring off the street. Really just have to find out what's going on in your building.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I know these questions maybe hard to answer but if you all could share your experiences with me. I was hired off the street as a temporary cover driver, part time and have been working the AM shift for sorting preload and unloading the trailers. I'm a bit skeptical on all this. My question is and I would assume it depends what hub you are working at but am curious how many years could it take for myself to move into a full time driver position? I have read some say 3 years and that just seems like a long long time. I am single, no kids and am in my late 30's and I'm not getting any younger. Just debating if I should go back to my old job because I'm feeling this is more a job for someone who's 18 living with there parents for support. Thanks

Marry a gal with good hips for pumping out some puppies!

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
If are in a large center or large city, you will be driving all peak season. Just try to get your qualifying 30 days in before Nov. 1.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
It's kinda a trip how big a turn around UPS is because I've had a part time sup ask me if I was quiting when I was clearly just going to take a leak. I take it they need people BAD at this hub or afraid of loosing good help.
Your building probably has the same problem mine had, new hires saying they had to use the restroom, never to be heard from again. Kids afraid to use their words, would rather slink out the door, than have an adult conversation an tell the supe that they quit. What's the supe gonna do, yell at you? Tell him to friend off!

Last edited:

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!

WELCOME TO UPS SLAVE JOBS DRIVER POSITIONS AND PART TIMERS NO WHERE TO GO LAND.

THEY STILL HIRING TELL OTHER SLAVES TO WELCOME ABOARD THIS MAGNIFICENT NIGHTMARE (I MEANT EXPERIENCE). :gityasmiley:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Move back in with mom & dad buy an Xbox work 4 hours a day what’s not to like

mark39

Move back in with mom & dad buy an Xbox work 4 hours a day what’s not to like

HAHAHAHAHA not happening wouldn't have a clue how to turn an xbox on, damm 10.5 years on preload screw that, I maybe better off going back to pipe welding but may stay a while to get back in shape at least, it's a hell of a workout.
I don't really understand the 22.4 job i know i have seen that number before though. I'll have to read up on it. I know theres a bunch of part time sup around which seems kinda goofy because there never gonna make full time from what i can see. The full time sup is young and not retiring anytime soon. Guess I got a lot of question to ask the guys around me but if it's 4 hours a day for the next 3-5 years I'll go do something else. Thanks for sharing your experiences and smarta** remarks i've enjoyed them all lol

mark39

DAMMMIT LMFAO I got my answer today of how long it could take to be a full time driver lol I could be 60 before that happens lol nahhh I'll stay for the workout and get into shape and then I'll leave and go back to welding or look into something else.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and answering my questions.