New hire to UPS for preloader, need some tips!!!!

Today was my first day, and I loved it, till the driver came onto the truck and went off (to her self) that I didn't load the truck right and said to herself the loader should be fired. I was told to put the boxes where they go like the 1000,2000,3000 and so forth and I did, however I didn't know that the big boxes could go on the floor that they really didn't have to go on their number as long as they are on the correct side? I'm really nervous to load the truck (car) again. Is there any tips on what I can do to make the loading better? she was moving the packages from where I put them, but there wasn't any room to put them where they should exactly go, so I tried to put them as close to the number as I could. the truck was so full.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just do what the sup tells you. Don't worry about the driver. Nobody's perfect, so give yourself some slack.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Worry about the driver and not your sup. Ask the driver how he wants his truck loaded or you'll forever be bashed in the morning.
The loader has to make book. Any driver that starts going off on the loader, in their first day of work, is a maroon.

Driver bashes me and their load will not be too pleasant.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Today was my first day, and I loved it, till the driver came onto the truck and went off (to her self) that I didn't load the truck right and said to herself the loader should be fired. I was told to put the boxes where they go like the 1000,2000,3000 and so forth and I did, however I didn't know that the big boxes could go on the floor that they really didn't have to go on their number as long as they are on the correct side? I'm really nervous to load the truck (car) again. Is there any tips on what I can do to make the loading better? she was moving the packages from where I put them, but there wasn't any room to put them where they should exactly go, so I tried to put them as close to the number as I could. the truck was so full.
Don't worry about it and don't be nervous you will get better hell it was only your first day and see you did learn something from that driver on where she wants her stuff.So come Monday you should be a little bit better.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
IMG_1149.JPG

Over 70

If you are putting the right packages on the truck on day one you're probably ahead of the game lol

I just started preloading cause things are slow after nothing but driving the first few months and I have some respect. The belt goes too fast to have time to really put things in perfectly neat and orderly. Even 10 year vets had piles outside their car.

Brisket

Were you with a trainer for at least the first hour? Don't be afraid to ask your neighbor for a couple hints before the shift, unless they are crabby, they usually will be able to help with pointers.

As Wally said, don't worry about the driver too much , worry about making book FIRST, then you will get the hang of where you can put bulk stops in the truck.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
load quality is broken into several pieces:

1. marking the packages: it's important to mark the floor and aisle-facing shelf packages with the HIN # so you can make sure you're putting everything in the correct order, which helps the driver find stuff faster

2. snake the load: if you run out of space in the 2000 section, and the 6000 section has room, USE IT; half way through the day you can easily see where the shelves are going to be light, so feel free to move stuff around, just be consistent and COMMUNICATE with the driver with what you did

3. load size appropriately: big stuff (larger than torso) on the floor, medium stuff on shelf, small stuff behind medium stuff

talk to your supervisor for more tips

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

load quality is broken into several pieces:

1. marking the packages: it's important to mark the floor and aisle-facing shelf packages with the HIN # so you can make sure you're putting everything in the correct order, which helps the driver find stuff faster

2. snake the load: if you run out of space in the 2000 section, and the 6000 section has room, USE IT; half way through the day you can easily see where the shelves are going to be light, so feel free to move stuff around, just be consistent and COMMUNICATE with the driver with what you did

3. load size appropriately: big stuff (larger than torso) on the floor, medium stuff on shelf, small stuff behind medium stuff

talk to your supervisor for more tips

1. Writing on the packages is a waste of time.

2. DO NOT snake the load!

3. Yuppers.

The driver was a :censored2: for going off on you.

DriverNerd

Any driver who goes off on a preloader for load quality is just a prick. If the driver really has issues with you, talking directly but kind and straight forward always gets better results. If that doesn't work, then there's always the loaders supervisor to talk to. You will get better as you learn and do the job. As was said before, worry about loading correctly and not misloading. After you get the hang of it, if you want to cater to your drivers then go ahead. But don't cater to the ones that are not nice to you; ever. My preloader will put my next day air envelopes in a separate tote, and my RDL envelopes in a separate tote. Certain deliveries he will move around the shelf to fit better with daily up and down volume changes - and he will let me know. He doesn't have to do this, but me not being a dick is probably the reason he does. You won't please everyone, so don't try.