New hub being built

Mr.nobody

I've currently been with ups for 6.5 years and working towards a combo bid. I recently found confirmation that we are in the process of building a new hub that will be completed by the end of 2018. It's also going to be very automated and twice the size of our current hub. My FT sup says there will be no sorters, no pick offs, and no smalls due to this automated system that they will install. My question is will this affect new combo bids or my wait time to win a bid. The current wait time for a combo bid at my hub is 9 years. So hopefully I can win one before all this confusion happens.

Also, what they will do to the old hub is make it only for the use of preload and service drivers. "Package drivers". they plan to transfer everyone else to this new hub.

New to this site** so any knowledge thrown to me will be greatly appreciated.

Box Ox

Inquiring mimes want to know where??

"Well?"

inquiring_20mime.jpg

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I've currently been with ups for 6.5 years and working towards a combo bid. I recently found confirmation that we are in the process of building a new hub that will be completed by the end of 2018. It's also going to be very automated and twice the size of our current hub. My FT sup says there will be no sorters, no pick offs, and no smalls due to this automated system that they will install. My question is will this affect new combo bids or my wait time to win a bid. The current wait time for a combo bid at my hub is 9 years. So hopefully I can win one before all this confusion happens.

Also, what they will do to the old hub is make it only for the use of preload and service drivers. "Package drivers". they plan to transfer everyone else to this new hub.

You'll be almost retired before they work the bugs out of an automated anything...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You may very well be affected.
The elimination of jobs via automation reduces the need for jobs overall.
With 6.5 years in and a 9 year seniority expectation for the desired jobs, you may be waiting longer.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of an automated smalls.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You may very well be affected.
The elimination of jobs via automation reduces the need for jobs overall.
With 6.5 years in and a 9 year seniority expectation for the desired jobs, you may be waiting longer.
I heard through the grapevine UPS bought a whole mess of land up off 575, some kind of superhub going in there as well in the near future to service around Cherokee County.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I heard through the grapevine UPS bought a whole mess of land up off 575, some kind of superhub going in there as well in the near future to service around Cherokee County.
If true, that will be interesting to see the changes in hub flows and feeder networking away from PLEGA and ATLGA.

Mr.nobody

Yeah, automated smalls is what they said. I don't think it will be 100% automated though. I'm hoping since the hub will be twice the size as our current, it will create new jobs while also eliminating others... that's looking at it in an optimistic stand point.