New Ice/Snow vehicle law

CACH had snow removal devices installed back when it open and they have never been used. We've seen stuff come in and go out with huge amounts of snow on top. Once it becomes law around here they'll have to address it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

CACH had snow removal devices installed back when it open and they have never been used. We've seen stuff come in and go out with huge amounts of snow on top. Once it becomes law around here they'll have to address it.

We have one of these at my center.

As oldngray said, there is nothing more scary than to see a chunk of ice come off of the roof of the car in front of you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From the article:
•In New Jersey, drivers can be fined $25-$75 for failing to remove accumulated ice and $200-$1,000 if the ice flies off and causes injury or property damage.

•In Pennsylvania, drivers can be fined $200-$1,000 if snow or ice flies from their vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian, causing death or serious bodily injury.

Not coincidentally, the only places I've seen snow removal devices for tractor-trailers is at hubs in PA and NJ.

over9five

Staff member
We got a brand spanking new one maybe two years ago. The problem is you can not use it unless there's a plow working with you. Without a plow truck, bobcat whatever, the snow piles up under them so you just can't use them. And do you think UPS is going to pay some plow driver to clear this for several days as trucks get cleared??? No way.

I've seen it used twice.

I've seen drivers on ladders with snow rakes clearing the tops of their trailers. Aint no way you'll ever see me on a ladder with a snow rake. Talk about insanely dangerous...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We have one of these at my center.

As oldngray said, there is nothing more scary than to see a chunk of ice come off of the roof of the car in front of you.
Until you see an entire wheel coming your way complete with tie rod ends still attached... Then snow and ice doesn't seem so bad.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

This law is nothing but another revenue generator.

Good. Anyone too lazy to clean at least the windows and lights/taillights off on their cars deserves to have their wallet lightened.

As far as trucks it doesn't take too much ice to cause damage so this is something that needs to be addressed.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Good. Anyone too lazy to clean at least the windows and lights/taillights off on their cars deserves to have their wallet lightened.

As far as trucks it doesn't take too much ice to cause damage so this is something that needs to be addressed.

How about the guys that don't have a TA at a hub and are sitting for 30 minutes waiting? The snows going to pile up.

oldngray

nowhere special
Until you see an entire wheel coming your way complete with tie rod ends still attached... Then snow and ice doesn't seem so bad.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

Once when I was in my private car a semi in front of me clipped a guardrail and tore off about a 6 foot section of it. It flew over the car in front of me that was between me and him , hit the road, and bounced over my car without touching it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Once when I was in my private car a semi in front of me clipped a guardrail and tore off about a 6 foot section of it. It flew over the car in front of me that was between me and him , hit the road, and bounced over my car without touching it.

And you were very glad you had an extra pair of shorts with you that day!

My son was riding with me last summer and as I was moving over into the left lane, he yelled "tire"! A recap came apart two or three trucks ahead of us, and he saw it just as I was moving over. About a hundred feet through the median later, we missed it.

Damn near ruined golf for us.:surprised:

Until recently not much. But some vehicle damage has occurred in the last few years and they have directed us to get ahold of mgmt. if we find a large amount of snow of ice on the trailer roofs. For the most part they send us to the shop to get it removed as drivers refuse to tackle that issue of removing it.