New members should not be

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The job of package delivery is easier today than it was 25 years ago.

Today you actually know what stops are in your package car when you get into it in the morning. Today (most of us at least) have package cars that are bigger and have basic ergonomic features such as powert steering and low steps that yesterdays vehicles lacked. Today there is a basic level of accountability and transparency regarding the workload that was totally lacking in the years when packages werent tracked.

25 years ago this month, I was dispatched in a P-500 with over 500 stops in it. Half were brickloaded in the car, half under the belt. The entire focus was on getting the packages out of the building, so I had to go out on route, find a garage to empty the car into, and come back to reload. At 11:30 that night I brought something like 150 missed stops back, and there were still more sitting in the garage that didnt get delivered for days. None were recorded as missed. There was no tracking, there was no planning, there were no cellphones or text messages or timely communication of any kind. My route was known as the "abortion car" and my only purpose as a driver in the grand scheme of things was to "get the belt clean" and allow my management team to maintain the illusion that their "plan" was working. You dont see that sort of thing anymore in todays UPS, simply by virtue of the fact that missed packages can no longer be hidden in such a manner. If you took a driver of today, transported him 25 yrs back in time and gave him a brickloaded P-5 or P-6 car along with a map and and a clipboard full of paper 50-liner delivery records...he/she would FAIL big time.

Thats a good way to put it. I'm will be the first to admit that its a different UPS today than it was 11 years ago when I retired. I will also say that as I had no trouble going from working on paper to entering UPS's DIAD era I would have no problem learning the gizzmos of today. I will say that with the E911 rural address system and GPS this and cell phones that, learning a rural delivery route today has to be a cake walk compared to back when the only help you had was to stop at a farmhouse and ask questions (such as "do you know so and so?" and "where the hell am I"). Upstate tries to come off as a "super UPSman" who knows eveything but in the end we all know what a D-bag he is. Long story short- I would have NO problem adapting to the "new" UPS ---- but they would have a problem adapting to me because I never was one to roll over and play dead.. I also believe that a driver of today would be able to adapt to the way it was done years ago - but the first thing they would have to learn is the way the guys stuck together back then and fought for their rights.

After 34 years, I can only say that the job is different. Yeah, we have DIADS, lower steps and automatic transmissions, but we have Big Brother looking over our shoulders all day, every day. Could Rod do it the way the job is now? Absolutely. Could the new guys do the way it used to be? Some of them.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Wow, simmer down kids! Can you feel the love tonight?

First off, what might help, a little, is a sticky thread at the top of UPS discussion. The title should read... DRIVER HELPER or sesonal help, please read before posting. Hopefully, it will help slow the income mass of helper threads. Secondly, include 10-15-20 threads, in that original thread of top questions/ advice/ complaints asked or stated threw the years or recently. I am sorry to request this, to ask possible drivers or insiders on their weekend to do a little or a lot of work on their weekends.

Lastly, its going to happen if you like it or not, a lot like peak. My suggestion might help, it might not, but its an attempt at something. I dont mind reading more information for free, thats why the internet was created. ITS NOT A BIG TRUCK, ITS A SERIES OF TUBES!

over9five

Staff member
keep posting, rod * the history of any organization is a continuum * to appreciate where we are today, you need to know where we have been * to ignore or dismiss the past is a short-sighted position * every brick of the future will be laid upon courses established from the past

*Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it*
*The past asks only to be remembered*

gostillerz

So they can spam post to get to 20, just so they can post a thread anyways, seen it before and same outcome.

Funny, because I see a bunch of people who start a thread, then leave after their question or rant has been addressed never to return.

Cranky old lady isn't gonna spam just to be able to start a thread. By post 3, she already found her QVC box at rear door, right where we said it was. This isn't UPS's customer service site.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well, she balked on me; said she was done with this job. I just looked at her, shook my head and asked her, "What the friend do you think I was doing the last 15 years?!" But she was done. For two days, I ran all of the stops while she sat in the truck, in the heat. The way I figured it, I just got a $10 an hour raise for the work I'd always done. Oh yeah, and me, AND ONLY ME, paid for X-Mas that year. She looked to the floor when the kids opened their presents.

No job should you ever work unsafe, or be willing to take inhumane treatment.
And, no true marriage is worth being physiologically abused. I did think you were a person one might want to emulate. No more.

You are an ***.

Last edited by a moderator:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Helper....two months, at the very most....drivers, all year long....put it to you this way: when I was in package car, I had my wife as a helper for two years in a row. Here in the Midwest, you never know what kind of weather you might get in December. One day, it might be snowy and 15 degrees, and the following day, it could easily be 70 degrees and sunny. That is the Midwest.

The second peak she worked with me, it was cold, COLD AS friend&CK! 0 degrees and the wind was sideways and visible. Well, she balked on me; said she was done with this job. I just looked at her, shook my head and asked her, "What the friend do you think I was doing the last 15 years?!" But she was done. For two days, I ran all of the stops while she sat in the truck, in the heat. The way I figured it, I just got a $10 an hour raise for the work I'd always done. Oh yeah, and me, AND ONLY ME, paid for X-Mas that year. She looked to the floor when the kids opened their presents.

"""""""""
I can only say if you have a wife that stays home and raises the kids you are blessed. If you are a father that can provide, so she can do that, you are to be praised.
Other than that you shoulda said, honey it doesnt matter what I have done for 15 yrs, I am a man, and I can. Thanks for the help with these munchkins. It took both of us to do this. Merry Christmas.""""" sweetheart, I love you""""""""

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Funny, because I see a bunch of people who start a thread, then leave after their question or rant has been addressed never to return.

Cranky old lady isn't gonna spam just to be able to start a thread. By post 3, she already found her QVC box at rear door, right where we said it was. This isn't UPS's customer service site.

I can understand that we're not customer service, for sure. Yet, I've seen here probably better help with customers then CS can give people, because we all done the job in reality.

Last, the most people I've seen on here asking something usally gets the fourth degree from experienced drivers and insiders that have seen it all before. I'm sure those people wont come back to UPS nor to this forum in the long run. Most of them think they have the job for good now anyways, to only be let go after a few weeks of work.

Perhaps we can start a thread next year, around November, titled DRIVER HELPER THREADS ARE COMING TO TOWN AGAIN! I'll try to keep it in mind.

oldupsman

The job of package delivery is easier today than it was 25 years ago.

Today you actually know what stops are in your package car when you get into it in the morning. Today (most of us at least) have package cars that are bigger and have basic ergonomic features such as powert steering and low steps that yesterdays vehicles lacked. Today there is a basic level of accountability and transparency regarding the workload that was totally lacking in the years when packages werent tracked.

25 years ago this month, I was dispatched in a P-500 with over 500 stops in it. Half were brickloaded in the car, half under the belt. The entire focus was on getting the packages out of the building, so I had to go out on route, find a garage to empty the car into, and come back to reload. At 11:30 that night I brought something like 150 missed stops back, and there were still more sitting in the garage that didnt get delivered for days. None were recorded as missed. There was no tracking, there was no planning, there were no cellphones or text messages or timely communication of any kind. My route was known as the "abortion car" and my only purpose as a driver in the grand scheme of things was to "get the belt clean" and allow my management team to maintain the illusion that their "plan" was working. You dont see that sort of thing anymore in todays UPS, simply by virtue of the fact that missed packages can no longer be hidden in such a manner. If you took a driver of today, transported him 25 yrs back in time and gave him a brickloaded P-5 or P-6 car along with a map and and a clipboard full of paper 50-liner delivery records...he/she would FAIL big time.
I'll simply say thank you Sober.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dracula I would have let my wife have it had she been my helper and quit on me. If she wanted to not do it next year that's fine but don't quit. I was raised to always finish what I started. Honestly your much nicer than me. When she said she was done I would have clocked her out and told her she's no longer a ups employee and wasn't allowed on the truck and to find a way home. Sure she would be mad as hell but I bet she would of grabbed that package and delivered it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It would be much easier to allow no new members. Personally, I prefer reading posts that go on and on about UPS after being there all week than these "newbie" threads. Of course, nobody weighing in on this ever had a first thread, right?

MissedBusiness

NotReallyAMember
Dracula I would have let my wife have it had she been my helper and quit on me. .....

Would u also have:

1. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap?

2. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap in front of the kids?

3. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap in front of the kids on Christmas day?

4. Bragged about it on the interwebs afterwards?

Im sure u will say "no" because a MAN doesnt do that, specially to his wife.

I urge Dracula to get professional counseling. Do it for her, she deserves better.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dracula I would have let my wife have it had she been my helper and quit on me. .....

Would u also have:

1. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap?

2. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap in front of the kids?

3. Belittled her and made her feel like a piece of crap in front of the kids on Christmas day?

4. Bragged about it on the interwebs afterwards?

Im sure u will say "no" because a MAN doesnt do that, specially to his wife.

I urge Dracula to get professional counseling. Do it for her, she deserves better.

Every marriage is different and the way they treat each other is different. What one person finds appalling may work just fine for another couple. With that said sometimes adults act like children and when they do they should be treated as such.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Never try to shingle a roof as a couple. Couple rows in I was like off by a 1/4 inch. Whats the big deal? I got fired. Well heck if that was all it took I would screwed up sooner. Before my fingerprints were worn off. A few days later he put it on paper and showed me what the roof would have looked like when finished. Cool with me I didnt enjoy it anyway.

MissedBusiness

NotReallyAMember
Every marriage is different and the way they treat each other is different. What one person finds appalling may work just fine for another couple. With that said sometimes adults act like children and when they do they should be treated as such.
Nice job defending the abuser. That was NOT just fine for any couple. It went way beyond weird,and even cruel. It was dehumanizing and depraved. Psychological abuse is far worse than physical abuse.