New on road sup salary

Injury Prone

I was just offered a new position as ft on road sup. I am meeting with the honchos tomorrow to finalize and I am curious as to what to expect for a salary offer? I have a number in mind and don't want to be disappointed or unrealistic but also don't want to be taken advantage of since this is my first ft promotion opportunity. I am well aware of the hard work and long hours that lie ahead. To add a few details which might help, I have been with UPS for 5 years, 1yr as a loader and the last 4yrs as a PT Dispatch Sup (a pretty good one if I must say), and I work in a smaller center in a pretty rural area. Also wondering if the offer is negotiable at all or is it a take it or leave it kind of situation? Appreciate any help with this!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Wow no driving experience! You'll be great!

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1410776117.442516.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our newest on-car was a preload sup in Houston before being offered the job here. He had zero driving experience and when he first got here some of the older guys were able to take advantage of him. He will be starting his 4th Peak and has become a more than adequate on-car.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Three out of five of our on roads have zero driving experience. Two suck. One finally pulled his part time head out of his full time butt after he was sent to DFW to help last peak. Must have received some lessons from real on roads because he is "adequate" now as well.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I was just offered a new position as ft on road sup. I am meeting with the honchos tomorrow to finalize and I am curious as to what to expect for a salary offer? I have a number in mind and don't want to be disappointed or unrealistic but also don't want to be taken advantage of since this is my first ft promotion opportunity. I am well aware of the hard work and long hours that lie ahead. To add a few details which might help, I have been with UPS for 5 years, 1yr as a loader and the last 4yrs as a PT Dispatch Sup (a pretty good one if I must say), and I work in a smaller center in a pretty rural area. Also wondering if the offer is negotiable at all or is it a take it or leave it kind of situation? Appreciate any help with this!
I wish you luck and hope you get everything you deserve.

You are PT so any offer will seem like a significant improvement, but just remember you will be supervising drivers that make anywhere from 70-110k (depending on OT, days off, bonus...etc). You have to put a value on your time because you are going to have to work many more hours than you are used to working. Since you already pay some for your healthcare, that won't be a big adjustment. If you ask me, the ORS job ain't really appealing and I've done it for some time now. Unfortunately for you, I'm sure you won't be given the opportunity to drive, which is sad, because you would be a much better sup (initially) if you have driven and have a good understanding of the job. I guess it will be more trial by fire. That being said, depending on where you are located, I'd say you will get an offer in the 6-7 k a month range. If not, don't take it. Remember, your raise will be 1-4% annually, unless someone can accuse you of screwing up bad enough and then you get your raise or stock taken from you. Think a few years down the road and project how much you will make then...may not be worth it...and remember, no pension for new mgmt anymore. Weigh it all and good luck...God knows we need good sups, hope you'll be one of them.

FreeAtLast13

I would be hard pressed to recommend UPS as a career choice for someone just starting out. If you have an education and skills you are better off elsewhere. At UPS you'll be working for old timers who don't have either and who resent that you do. If you plan to just stay a while for some resume filler before moving on to greener pastures you should be ok. But all the things that made UPS a special place to be have been gone for many years now and they aren't coming back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Hroller

Last year's raise for supes was 1%. So make sure your initial salary is your best...because it won't go up much from there.

I'd do it for no less than 6500 a month.

some1else

I wonder how many employers pay the supervisors less than those they are supervising (aka running misloads to and parroting what they are told).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wonder how many employers pay the supervisors less than those they are supervising (aka running misloads to and parroting what they are told).

On an hourly or annual basis? If we are talking hourly it is quite common. It is much less common on an annual basis.

It is only during the first few years that a new supervisor makes less than those that they supervise.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would be hard pressed to recommend UPS as a career choice for someone just starting out. If you have an education and skills you are better off elsewhere.

I understand why you would say that. One thing I would add though is that UPS trains their people very well. From what I have seen, a UPS supe that takes the training seriously can take those skills and find a job with another company. It used to be that it would be a sideways move pay wise, but almost always fewer hours.

So, maybe not for a whole career, but as a stepping stone, still a good choice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
On an hourly or annual basis? If we are talking hourly it is quite common. It is much less common on an annual basis.

It is only during the first few years that a new supervisor makes less than those that they supervise.
Unless the economy tanks like it did in 2008-2010. I imagine many 10 year management people made less than the average friend/T driver.