new p/c

raceanoncr

We do sell tractors now. That just started last year....

Been doing that off and on for a number of yrs here. Funny, last year, they got rid of a bunch of old ones. Had em all stacked up to transport, about 3, sometimes 4, to a set, with a couple of drivers. Of course, most good stuff was taken out, painted grey, the whole smear.

Coming back from my run one day a couple states away, they were all on side of road. Hmmm...could it be a break down? Hoods were pulled on all. Wonder who answers road call on THAT?:oops:

over9five

Staff member
Coming back from my run one day a couple states away, they were all on side of road. Hmmm...could it be a break down? Hoods were pulled on all. Wonder who answers road call on THAT?

We forgot to tell them that we sold them the vehicles...... but kept the oil.

BlackCat

Saw an automotive presentation that they are testing key FOBs for new PC. Starts PC remotely and open rear/bulkhead doors. They're justifying by saying it will going to save on average 5min per day.

Start PC remotely? That should look good on telematics

Big Babooba

Saw an automotive presentation that they are testing key FOBs for new PC. Starts PC remotely and open rear/bulkhead doors. They're justifying by saying it will going to save on average 5min per day.
Remote start will work with an automatic transmission but I would hesitate to install it in a manual transmission vehicle. Leave it in gear and you have the potential for a runaway. Leave it in neutral and you put all your faith in the hand brake.:anxious:

NHDRVR

Thank you SO much for your response and smart-ass remark. My day is now complete! Give me more information I didn't ask for oh great UPS sales guy! I already know the truck shuffle game.

Actually, as I understand it, the reason the 'boonie' routes get the new trucks is that as the miles pile on the vehicles depreciate quicker and that is less UPS has to pay on future registration and taxes etc.

upssup

The reason the tires come off of the old car is not because we are cheap it is because we have to control these tires from initial purchase to when they are scrapped. That type of comment is beyond a response.

slantnosechevy

Is this the same upssup who trolled Teamster.net for years? If it is welcome I've missed you. Everyone's gonna love this guy on the hourly side.

upssup

We just had 8 old tractors DRIVEN out the gate after we had sold them. I am sure they could not have made it 20 miles before thay all blew up!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Remote starting? We can't have our vehicles running when we're not in them.

Won't happen.

I think it is like FedEx's remote start system and you will have a key/transmitter of a sort that you would keep on your person and that transmitter has to be within x-amount feet of the truck in order to be able to put the vehicle in any gear other than "P". If you try and move the shifter the vehicle will shutoff without the transmitter.

What next??? Air Conditioning???????!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!

W

westsideworma

We got a couple new 14's in our building recently. They are zero-idle vehicles. No emissions I suppose. I just know i will never have one. way too big a vehicle for my area.

yeah I have a couple of those on my line, Clean idle or something to that effect? Seem like nice vehicles.

upssup

These new P57's have had their share of issues already but I think in the long run they will be pretty good cars. I have a bunch in some of my centers and once the bugs get worked out they have been pretty reliable.

upssup

I do not think the Automatic trans. issue is a union requirement. (Correct me if I am wrong) I think it was done because the automatics today are much more reliable than in the past and I also think in the long run it saves money. Clutch and tranny replacements can add huge to the cost of vehicle maint and possible road calls.

Dustyroads

I'm sure the opinion of a mechanic working on a vehicle is often different than a driver who is operating the truck every day. Here are three words that describe the inherent shortcoming of the new 500 series: solid front axle. We are driving these cars 200-300 miles a day, over a hundred miles a day of rough gravel and dirt roads. The trucks are road crazy, rough, and unstable. No amount of working out the bugs is going to change how they drive.