New P/T Sup Salary Negotiation?

Hi everybody,

New to the forum so try and go easy on me. I'm a new potential P/T supe, but according to what I'm reading on these forums, the base salary offer I received from my HR rep seems pretty low compared to what other P/T supes are being paid. I've already been given the job but I don't start until it gets approved. But before I start the new position, does anyone know if you can negotiate a higher base salary? And if so, how and when would I try it? I'm hoping any current or former part-time supes would weigh in on this one. However feel free to bash me about how i shouldn't leave the union and how I should pack my knee pads and Vaseline for my journey into management. Its the weekend, I could use a good laugh :happy-very:

Thanks in advance,
Darth Manager

Shryp

I am an hourly, but rumor in my building has always been that PT supervisor pay is somehow based on what you were making as an hourly at the time.

I am an hourly, but rumor in my building has always been that PT supervisor pay is somehow based on what you were making as an hourly at the time.

Yeah thats what I hear too, but according to a lot of these post I would be making less than some managers that are new hires. I haven't been with UPS for ages or anything, only a year and a half, but I figure I should at least be making more than a damn new hire. So i figured I'd try to negotiate a higher base salary, good idea or bad?

yeaalabama1212

Being a former p/t sup, I don't think there is an oppertunity to negotiate. I was with the company the same amount of time with an hourly rate of 9.50 I think. After being promoted, my hourly rate increased to about 12.35 based on the 27.5 a week salary. One reason they are not willing to negotiate is they know someone else would be willing to take the position if you decline it.

Being a former p/t sup, I don't think there is an oppertunity to negotiate. I was with the company the same amount of time with an hourly rate of 9.50 I think. After being promoted, my hourly rate increased to about 12.35 based on the 27.5 a week salary. One reason they are not willing to negotiate is they know someone else would be willing to take the position if you decline it.

Yeah I was afraid of that... I was thinking worst case scenario is they just decline any raise in salary and I take the job as is anyway. I figure it's worth a shot :dissapointed: . But I appreciate the insight. Anyone else?

Yeah I was afraid of that... I was thinking worst case scenario is they just decline any raise in salary and I take the job as is anyway. I figure it's worth a shot :dissapointed: . But I appreciate the insight. Anyone else?

I wouldn't do it but if you do take what you can get and take advantage of the tuition assistance. Down the road you might be able to be a driver also.

nicky

My understanding was it was a percentage raise over your current salary. Something to the effect of about 25%

M

MenInBrown

I would say if you are going into management...especially at this time when management are being treated just as crappy as us it's probably bc you cant do the job physically??? but Im sure you will be able to tell someone how to do the impossible...am I right??? just saying, that's how it is at my center..all physical flunkies.

Andorian440

I don't think they will negotiate it. You should also know that your yearly raises will only be at most 3% of your salary (HR will tell you it is potentially 5%, but I know of nobody who has received that much). As time goes by, the union worker who has been with the company the same amount of time will quickly surpass your salary. Also, the tuition reimbursment isn't all that. They only reimbursed about a third of mine. And finally, your benefits will cost about twenty dollars a week, and will have a 500 dollar deductible.

I would say if you are going into management...especially at this time when management are being treated just as crappy as us it's probably bc you cant do the job physically??? but Im sure you will be able to tell someone how to do the impossible...am I right??? just saying, that's how it is at my center..all physical flunkies.

Physically the jobs never been a problem for me. Loading trucks isn't bad to me, I'm pretty active athletically playing basketball and other such sports. Plus I had recently become a sorter so my job had been kind of a breeze. I just know that a management postion at a Fortune 500 company looks a little bit better on the resume than a truck loader, even if its low level management. Besides, I really don't care if some higher up says something that hurts my "feelings" or treats me crappy for that matter. I'm just there to do a job to the best of my ability, and thats all I'll ask from my workers. Hopefully I'm not fired as a result... :laughing:

Nimnim

The Nim
If all you're doing this for is to look good on a resume, don't worry about the pay and submit your letter. It does look good on a resume.

If you're in for a career it'd almost certainly be in your benefit to stay an hourly without ridiculous luck you'll end up making more than a supervisor over time.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Physically the jobs never been a problem for me. Loading trucks isn't bad to me, I'm pretty active athletically playing basketball and other such sports. Plus I had recently become a sorter so my job had been kind of a breeze. I just know that a management postion at a Fortune 500 company looks a little bit better on the resume than a truck loader, even if its low level management. Besides, I really don't care if some higher up says something that hurts my "feelings" or treats me crappy for that matter.
I'm just there to do a job to the best of my ability, and thats all I'll ask from my workers.
Hopefully I'm not fired as a result... :laughing:
In two years come back here and tell me that.

I doubt you will be of the same opinion once you go to soul-sucking school, I mean management school. Sorry, if I sound like I don't believe you, but, in recent days, I have been astounded at the depths to which the management in my area has sunk. No honor.

In two years come back and tell me that, again.

Darth, I can tell you that in my personal experience, I've worked with P/T sups who received a higher salary based on certain circumstances such as: Years of service, education, and personal needs based on family. (Wife, Kids, etc.) If your goals in life are to pursue a career in Management somewhere, then by all means, the experience will help develop your skills and will look good on a resume. But I think you should know that, as a P/T Supervisor, you will not be treated as an important member of the Management team. The job is thankless to say the least. You'll get it from both sides all the time.(Management and Hourly)
If you wish to pursue a Full-Time Management job within UPS in the future, then I suggest you follow the natural progression through the ranks of P/T and into a Full-time hourly position such as delivery, feeders, 22.3, etc. After you achieve this level, then a whole lot of better paying more responsible Management jobs will be available for you.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have taken the road where I spent spent 5 years as a P/T supervisor. Because I was passed over for Hourly Full-time positions (P/T Sups. are considered outside hires), I essentially lost about 2-3 years of potential full-time seniority.
Just thought you should know.........

fr8dog

Find out exactly how much you'll pay for your health benefits. might be taking a pay cut going from paying zero to a certain amount each month.

Darth, I can tell you that in my personal experience, I've worked with P/T sups who received a higher salary based on certain circumstances such as: Years of service, education, and personal needs based on family. (Wife, Kids, etc.) If your goals in life are to pursue a career in Management somewhere, then by all means, the experience will help develop your skills and will look good on a resume. But I think you should know that, as a P/T Supervisor, you will not be treated as an important member of the Management team. The job is thankless to say the least. You'll get it from both sides all the time.(Management and Hourly)
If you wish to pursue a Full-Time Management job within UPS in the future, then I suggest you follow the natural progression through the ranks of P/T and into a Full-time hourly position such as delivery, feeders, 22.3, etc. After you achieve this level, then a whole lot of better paying more responsible Management jobs will be available for you.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have taken the road where I spent spent 5 years as a P/T supervisor. Because I was passed over for Hourly Full-time positions (P/T Sups. are considered outside hires), I essentially lost about 2-3 years of potential full-time seniority.
Just thought you should know.........

Thats a great post Indy, respect. Its something I have considered, and I don't really plan on entering full-time management. I only seek the tuition benefits, the resume boost, and as high of a salary as i can get :greedy:. If I COULD be a driver and then later move into management I would, believe me. I've driver helped quite a bit and driving is something I wouldn't mind doing. I just would struggle being a full-time student and a full-time driver at the same time, so I have to remain part-time. I have a question though, if I were to request any change in salary who would I ask? My HR Rep is who offered me the position and gave me the details about the job, so I figured maybe her...? Anyone know?

The Division Manager is responsible for all administrative staff in the buildings he/she oversees. Normally you (P/T Sups.) would speak with your Division Manager concerning pay issues. He/She would then take it up with the appropriate channels after that.
Unless you have a really good reason to justify a higher salary than what they've offered you, they're more than likely going to tell you to, "take it or leave it."

Like i said, if they do say no I'm still ok with taking the pay as is. I just figure its worth a shot you know? What would be considered a good reason though? My reason is that I'm being paid well below what supervisor typically get, even supervisors hired of the streets. I read many post on here and even checked out glassdoor.com and payscale.com to see what others sups were being paid. From everything I'm seeing I'm getting a low-ball offer. Not mention before i became a supervisor i was literally one of the best workers there. I could perform any job in the building and was excellent at every stage of the MAPP process and the interview. I really think I'm being undervalued as a potential manager. I'm gonna plead my case and see what they say, even if they raise it by a little bit that'll still be win IMO.