New package car driver here! Have a few questions!

Upsman92

Hey guys, first post here!

So I started driving this month, 2 days with an on car sup. and 8 days out by myself so far. Started at 80 stops per day and am now at about 170 stops and getting done in roughly 8 hours; with taking a lunch break.

My question is how bad of a mistake is this: Left info notice for a signature required stop, and next day the home owner left a note attached to info notice saying it was okay to leave package in door without a signature, so I did. Also this was an apple product, took a picture of the note and informed managers/supervisors upon returning to the building.

I was told to not do this, so now I know better. They didn't seem mad at me but Im just curious as to whether or not this is a serious issue. Feel like Im doing well but I just can't get this off my mind. Responses greatly appreciated.

Limper

Out For Delivery
The customer doesn't determine whether a package can be left w/o a signature, the shipper does. So if a signature is required, that's what you do. If they leave a note about their dying grandmother who needs her medicine, you still don't
leave it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Apple sdn required. Signed delivery notice or signature on Diad required. No handwritten notes on paper accepted. We had a driver fired and off 2 months no back pay

S

serenity now

You will get many different answers to this question.
As for me, a signature required means the customer must sign the diad at the time of delivery. Nothing else will do.

What did you write on the signature pad so that the diad would let you stop complete?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
You will get many different answers to this question.
As for me, a signature required means the customer must sign the diad at the time of delivery. Nothing else will do.

What did you write on the signature pad so that the diad would let you stop complete?
Exactly. This is where they got u by the short hairs. It is dishonesty. No if ands or buts about it

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Good thing to remember, there is never a reason to use the stylus on the board until you clock out to verify COD's, there's a reason it won't let you stop complete without using it.

Upsman92

Just looking for opinions on whether or not Ill be looked at differently because of this. Im new and giving it 110%. Besides this honest, but I guess stupid mistake, that I wasn't disciplined or reprimanded for, Ive been told I'm doing great.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I DI NOT sign the diad. It allowed me to driver release the package at front door, the stop complete.
Apple products with the correct shipper number give detailed instructions not to DR without a SDN or signature when you scan, it does this twice during your attempts to dr, even when you hit the SDN key.

Upsman92

Yes, the diad did tell me sig. required or SDN twice, didn't know what a SDN was and assumed the customer note was acceptable. I know better now, jackburton. So do you think there gonna think Im some @$$h013 now, or hopefully realize it was just a newbie mistake?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You are new and you made a mistake that didn't cost anything, don't worry about it. As long as you make good numbers, your management team will usually let little stuff like this slide on by. UPS didn't lose money and nobody called in a complaint.

Upsman92

You are new and you made a mistake that didn't cost anything, don't worry about it. As long as you make good numbers, your management team will usually let little stuff like this slide on by. UPS didn't lose money and nobody called in a complaint. ​

Thank you for the reply, feeling better now. This job means a lot to me and am just paranoid I guess. My numbers are good so far, just a little unsure of some rules and procedures regarding the diad/deliveries.

BrownChoice

When you get the Apple SDN, signed by co signee and computer printed, what do you do with that SDN?

i got one a long time ago and never turned it in, forgot.. But nothing was ever said.

JL 0513

You are new and you made a mistake that didn't cost anything, don't worry about it. As long as you make good numbers, your management team will usually let little stuff like this slide on by. UPS didn't lose money and nobody called in a complaint.

Agreed. I wouldn't sweat it. Newbie mistake, not too big of a deal.

And that's the key. When a mistake actually causes a problem (customer complaint/loss) is really the only time it seems to become an issue. You could illegally sign the board 100 times and get away with it. But if a customer calls saying they didn't sign, guess what?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Apple products with the correct shipper number give detailed instructions not to DR without a SDN or signature when you scan, it does this twice during your attempts to dr, even when you hit the SDN key.
Exactly. Dont try to bull**** us drivers. We deal with this shiznit on a dail basis. U either lied and said sdn or lied and signed Diad. Or sdn could be used on approved apple form. That is all. Good day and learn from your mistakes if they let u keep ur job

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey guys, first post here!

So I started driving this month, 2 days with an on car sup. and 8 days out by myself so far. Started at 80 stops per day and am now at about 170 stops and getting done in roughly 8 hours; with taking a lunch break.

My question is how bad of a mistake is this: Left info notice for a signature required stop, and next day the home owner left a note attached to info notice saying it was okay to leave package in door without a signature, so I did. Also this was an apple product, took a picture of the note and informed managers/supervisors upon returning to the building.

I was told to not do this, so now I know better. They didn't seem mad at me but Im just curious as to whether or not this is a serious issue. Feel like Im doing well but I just can't get this off my mind. Responses greatly appreciated.

It's all good. Youre just a broken donkey to them that gets disposed at the end of their trip, no offense. Just don't get your hopes up so high.

HomeDelivery

well OP slightly Covered Hiss ***** by taking pics of the note... i'm guessing the DIAD asked for the SDN & that's what he highlighted for that delivery

over on our side, apple products are covered w/ a signed DN, a neighbor signing for it on the DIAD, or a relative at that address signing for it on the DIAD... they even have a special authorization form to print out, sign, and leave it taped to their door as seen on the following video from last year :surprised:

[video=youtube;j6aIPIsUE5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6aIPIsUE5I[/video]

​happy peak season & always CYA!

Upsman92

Management understood it was a mistake and informed me of the proper procedure, no problems or trouble. Also scratched my route that day by one hour, not too bad I'd say.