New package car "safety" feature?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So we still have a good amount of snow and ice on the roads here. Today I discovered what I can only guess is supposed to be a safety feature on the package car I was in.

Car number 14 something. Don't know if that's a 1200 1300 or what but anyway that is what I was in. So I'm headed up a fairly steep snow/ice covered hill. Wheels start to spin but I'm still moving and I can see some bare pavement a little bit ahead. So hit the gas and keep it moving forward. All of a sudden it shuts off on me and starts rolling backwards!!!

Is this seriously a safety feature on the new package cars? If you start spinning the tires it just shuts off? I was lucky no one or nothing was right behind me. To me spinning even if only in place is better than barreling backwards down a hill.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have heard of 'traction control' and I hope that is not it. Did that also have the 'shift inhibit' dealio. That is kind of irritating too.

Brownslave688

I have heard of 'traction control' and I hope that is not it. Did that also have the 'shift inhibit' dealio. That is kind of irritating too.
Yes and on this one once shift inhibit happened I had to put in park then shift. Most of the others u just have to wait for the rpms to go down.

FilingBluesFL

Traction control on a modern car does not turn it off.

It just applies the brakes on the corner that it is detecting "slip" and gently applies the brakes to that axle, until the ABS system no longer detects slip, and the car regains traction.

Sounds like a real big problem, that's pretty frightening lol

BrownArmy

We had a Tier III in a nearby center two years ago:

Driver in a newly-installed key-less P700 stalled out going down a steep hill (skipped a couple gears whilst shifting? didn't get the details).

Driver lost power to the brakes, couldn't stop the PC or get it restarted in time, and sailed through a red-light into oncoming traffic at a busy intersection - four or five vehicles involved in the ensuing crash.

Much fun was had by all, especially the sup that had to go out at 20:30 on a Friday night to deal with that cluster- .

So we still have a good amount of snow and ice on the roads here. Today I discovered what I can only guess is supposed to be a safety feature on the package car I was in.

Car number 14 something. Don't know if that's a 1200 1300 or what but anyway that is what I was in. So I'm headed up a fairly steep snow/ice covered hill. Wheels start to spin but I'm still moving and I can see some bare pavement a little bit ahead. So hit the gas and keep it moving forward. All of a sudden it shuts off on me and starts rolling backwards!!!

Is this seriously a safety feature on the new package cars? If you start spinning the tires it just shuts off? I was lucky no one or nothing was right behind me. To me spinning even if only in place is better than barreling backwards down a hill.
Pop it into the number one low gear. This will keep you going in a lower gear. Write it up and communicate what happened with the shop.

Brownslave688

Pop it into the number one low gear. This will keep you going in a lower gear. Write it up and communicate what happened with the shop.
I was kind of hoping one of the mechanics that's on this site would weigh in and let us know if it is in deed a safety feature or if the truck just friend'd up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Obviously you guys haven't driven a hybrid electric truck yet. Talk about a safety mess. These things jerk you forward, lose acceleration on a 35 degree grade to the point max speed is 25, and you go forward 6 feet in reverse gear if you push the accelerator right afterwards.

I drive a hydraulic hybrid and can honestly say the only thing better are the new GM unleaded PCs.

Thebrownstreak

Reminds me of my first year driving 9 years ago. I was relatively new at driving a manual transmission vehicle. So i was being trained on a route during a snow storm, supervisor said…..yeah drive up this drive way because the house was way up there. It looked fine from the road, but once you went about 100 yards up the driveway the shade from the tree's made the driveway just a sheet of ice. Well i hit the ice and started rolling backwards….i freaked out a bit and took my foot off of clutch while in gear and then i stalled. So now i'm going backwards down a driveway. I just mashed on the break and thankfully was able to stop the truck. Needless to say the sup decided to finish the day driving. I believe our center has only 1 or 2 manual transmission cars left.

Brownslave688

Reminds me of my first year driving 9 years ago. I was relatively new at driving a manual transmission vehicle. So i was being trained on a route during a snow storm, supervisor said…..yeah drive up this drive way because the house was way up there. It looked fine from the road, but once you went about 100 yards up the driveway the shade from the tree's made the driveway just a sheet of ice. Well i hit the ice and started rolling backwards….i freaked out a bit and took my foot off of clutch while in gear and then i stalled. So now i'm going backwards down a driveway. I just mashed on the break and thankfully was able to stop the truck. Needless to say the sup decided to finish the day driving. I believe our center has only 1 or 2 manual transmission cars left.
This was not a manual transmission vehicle.

Brownslave688

I realize that…..just a comparison. Sure it was scary when it happened to you
It really is times like these that test many of us. I can tell you my father would of likely freaked out thrown his hands in the air and possibly bailed out of the vehicle.

I grabbed the e-brake slammed it in park and only moved a few feet. Not that I've been trained to do it or anything it's just something you have or you don't.

Thebrownstreak

My only other scary moment in the ice was 2 years ago when i made a rookie mistake and got onto some ice on another long driveway and started to slide and pick up speed. The thought definitely crossed my mind to bail out of the truck. This was the last time i would make a mistake like that. Funniest thing was i needed a tow to get out, and they sent one of those huge tow trucks that can pull rigs to pull me back out of that driveway. My center manager said it was like a $700 tow. Oh well.