New package handlers questions

sorryJack

Hi all, got some questions if you don't mind!

Orientation in 2 weeks for Package Handler at a Hub, 10pm to 4am part time

1)What type of boots do you guys recommend I get?
2)Should I bring gloves?
3)When are breaks/bathroom breaks? Can you go whenever you want?
4)Any tips?

542thruNthru

2)Should I bring gloves?
4)Any tips?
1)... Use search funtion on top right. Search Thread titles "Boots"

2) you only need gloves if you're afraid of dirty or have sissy hands like @BadIdeaGuy

3) breaks depends on your area. Bathroom break though are when you need to use the bathroom.

4) show up every day and a little early so that you're always on time. Try you best and you'll be fine.

5) don't be a scab and make sure you join the union.

Good luck.

Hot Carl

1. I always preferred steel toes when I worked preload. A little uncomfortable while your feet get used to them, but it's better than dropping an over-70 on your toes.

2. Yes. Boxes are very dirty.

3. You get a 10 minute break, usually about halfway through the sort.

4. No. You're paid by the hour.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
1. I always preferred steel toes when I worked preload. A little uncomfortable while your feet get used to them, but it's better than dropping an over-70 on your toes.

2. Yes. Boxes are very dirty.

3. You get a 10 minute break, usually about halfway through the sort.

4. No. You're paid by the hour.
Steel toe boots are a waste of money and not practical. A sturdy leather will do you just fine. If the box you drop on your toe is heavy enough to warrant a steel toe, it will cut your toes off anyway.

Cowboy Mac

1. A sturdy leather lace up boot. I prefer composite toe because it’s lighter than steel toe.

2. Gloves are not really necessary when working the sort. I found that I would wear holes in them so quickly it wasn’t worth the money.

3. You use the bathroom or drink water as much as you need to. As long as you communicate to your boss so they can cover you while you go. It’s gonna be hot soon so make sure you hydrate more than you think you need to.

4. Get a water jug and fill it up with ice and water as you need it. Bring Gatorade powder packets because you need electrolytes too. Show up to work on time every day with a good attitude: “Yes Sir” is your new favorite phrase. Your a** belongs to them for 30 working days. After your 30th day, make sure to join the union. Get a copy of the contract and read it. Talk to senior employees and learn your rights.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
bring a months supply of gloves and break in whatever shoes you are going to wear now to help at the start.
Find the old seniority folks and anybody else who seems abnormally well organized and attempt to replicate their work methods, do what they do to stay safe. Definitely a skills retention problem right now.

DriverNerd

What area of the country will you be working? You don't need to be specific, just the state will work.

Most of this stuff is just repeated from above:

1. Safety toe boots are a requirement to me. Unless you're in small sort they will save you a lot of pain. As said above if steel toe boots are too heavy, composite toes (while not being quite as strong) are plenty durable for UPS work and a lot less weight.

2. Gloves are a personal preference thing. I never wore them in the hub but holy hell do you get dirty without them. Plus they save you from cardboard paper cuts and when handling metal or wood irregulars.

3. As said above. One 10 minute break during your shift. Bathroom/hydration breaks whenever you need one. You can go whenever you want, but depending on the area you might need to inform your supervisor to cover your area temporarily (this really only applies to certain areas in the hub).

4. Work hard but don't kill yourself. If you ever have issues/questions about the job, it is best to ask an experienced worker (not your supervisor) for help. If your supervisor tells you to do something you have to work as directed - please know that you don't need to do anything that is unsafe. Until you reach seniority you can be let go for any reason. Benefits are awesome at UPS and are free, though you don't get them right away. It is a manual labor job that can really kick the crap out of you when you start, that is normal. Your hands many cramp up for a few weeks if you're not used to the work, but eventually you will adjust to the job. Most hubs don't have air conditioning so prepare yourself for that, especially in the bottom half of the country.

sorryJack

What area of the country will you be working? You don't need to be specific, just the state will work.

California

Where do you keep all your stuff? If I were to bring a large water bottle, do I just carry it around with me or do you get assigned a temp locker for the day or something?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
California

Where do you keep all your stuff? If I were to bring a large water bottle, do I just carry it around with me or do you get assigned a temp locker for the day or something?
Bring in as little @stuff” as possible. Keep it with you .. only RPCD’s get lockers 😎

Est.1998

California

We didn't have lockers. Only thing i brought to work was a half gallon container to put ice and water/Gatorade in, gloves, and my keys. I didn't bring my phone in the hub and left it in the car. You carry your jug around with you.

upser2020

Just my 2 cents. I have been working in the hub for a little over a year. I wasn't told what area I'd be working in until partway through cornerstone. I'm in small sort but occasionally get sent to unload and outbound.

I'd bring a water bottle. I don't know if it's universal but at my hub you can have a clear bag and you can bring in a phone. I typically wear non hard toe boots or work shoes. As for breaks when I starter the whole hub would break at the same time but they stopped that due to covid so typically a supervisor or another employee will let you know to go on break and they will cover you(again this could vary by location). Even at part time it can take a bit of a toll on you until you get used to it.

Like others have said don't kill yourself just be timely and have a decent work ethic. Where im at if you have an iq marginally higher than a celery stalk and care about your job and attendance you're at least above average(employees and part time sups). If you are looking for overtime it might be a good idea to meet and get in good with the full time supervisors or cover supervisors on the adjacent shifts

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
1. A sturdy leather lace up boot. I prefer composite toe because it’s lighter than steel toe.

2. Gloves are not really necessary when working the sort. I found that I would wear holes in them so quickly it wasn’t worth the money.

3. You use the bathroom or drink water as much as you need to. As long as you communicate to your boss so they can cover you while you go. It’s gonna be hot soon so make sure you hydrate more than you think you need to.

4. Get a water jug and fill it up with ice and water as you need it. Bring Gatorade powder packets because you need electrolytes too. Show up to work on time every day with a good attitude: “Yes Sir” is your new favorite phrase. Your a** belongs to them for 30 working days. After your 30th day, make sure to join the union. Get a copy of the contract and read it. Talk to senior employees and learn your rights.
It's 40 days now

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We didn't have lockers. Only thing i brought to work was a half gallon container to put ice and water/Gatorade in, gloves, and my keys. I didn't bring my phone in the hub and left it in the car. You carry your jug around with you.
Now how you gon get by for 3.5 hours with out you got damn phone?

meritocracy

2)Should I bring gloves?
4)Any tips?
1. composite or steel toe that is comfortable
2. yes -- buy a ton of those latex dipped knit gloves at home depot or online because you'll go through a pair a week
3. Break is when they decide it is but you'll get one about half way through your shift. Go use the bathroom when you want to and notify your supervisor before you go. Use your break to rest.
4. Fill out a union membership form and figure out who your stewards are ASAP. Do your best to show up on time and show up every day during your probationary period. Focus on working according to the methods they teach you (lifting with your legs, locking in walls, etc.) and don't focus on speed. As long as you're not going extremely slow they're going to keep you, and if you go too fast it's going to hurt you later on. Either physically or in terms of the standard you're held to. Also, try to remember that this isn't just a crappy part-time job. It's something you're doing until you can get a much better full-time job at UPS (inside FT, package car driver, feeder driver, etc.) that will pay well enough and have good enough benefits for you to have a great standard of living for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

meritocracy

California

It's easiest just to leave everything you don't need in your car. Keep your wallet, keys, and phone in your pockets, and bring your water bottle inside with you.