New preloader, wants to help as a driver helper

Starting my second week tonight as a preloader in a busy urban hub on the west coast.

I'm very smart, do my job and shut up, and wanna be a UPS Driver one day.

What's your opinion on a newbie preloader asking to help as as a driver helper on busy days, or any day for that matter.

PS: Last week I randomly asked if I could help out as a driver helper. Management was very open and responsive in allowing me to do so (and I did very well and had fun). The driver said I did great and we had a good time and I loved helping him out.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
man_pat_on_the_back_boy_lg_nwm.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The use of helpers is limited to certain times of the year based on location. I am surprised that you were put on road last week, although I did hear that it was quite busy due to the holiday.

jaker

trolling
Yeah it does sound kinda wierd that they put you on as a helper and nobody else wanted to do it because when not in peek a helper makes top pay rate

BigBeef42

Keep saying yes when they ask.... they will eventually call u in a majority of the time due to ur reliability. Only expect to work during holidays.

I wish they'd just hire more FT drivers instead of over packing cars and hiring a PT helper to do the leg work. Nahhhhhh!

Sent using BrownCafe App

I understand this is an old thread, but my reply comes to bear: with FedEx losing their Amazon contract, UPS has now picked up their air. I am preloading, have been on the job for 6 weeks, and am being asked to be a driver helper every day. When I do, I receive Top Driver Pay ($37/hr) from the time I start loading (4 AM). At noon, (8 hrs) that becomes time and a half ($56/hr). By all means, do it. Note that this does not apply during peak season.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I understand this is an old thread, but my reply comes to bear: with FedEx losing their Amazon contract, UPS has now picked up their air. I am preloading, have been on the job for 6 weeks, and am being asked to be a driver helper every day. When I do, I receive Top Driver Pay ($37/hr) from the time I start loading (4 AM). At noon, (8 hrs) that becomes time and a half ($56/hr). By all means, do it. Note that this does not apply during peak season.

BS. You don't make driver pay at all to be a helper.
Cite the contract article you're getting that from, and what region you are in.

In my local, the number just went from $15, to $17.25.
Also, you don't get paid at a higher rate during preload.

I don't believe you at all.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I do, I receive Top Driver Pay ($37/hr) from the time I start loading (4 AM). At noon, (8 hrs) that becomes time and a half ($56/hr). By all means, do it. Note that this does not apply during peak season.
This company is not buying tolilet paper and pens. Do you think they are going to pay someone who has been PT 6 weeks 37/56$ an hour? I got this bridge............

Honestly do you people make this stuff up?
If you want driver pay you for to drive When you finally start driving it takes 4 years to hit top rate.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Activating helpers for a week here. They said top rate but those of us that are smart will know it's BS. New contract only pays $18 straight time for hours worked as a helper as long as it is within a 5-day period outside of peak.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Most locals have an unofficial agreement on using contractually unauthorized helpers or working with supervisors in which the helper in question earns top rate for the entire day. If you ride with a sup or helpers are not to be used in july then keep track of your hours and make sure you get that gravy money or file a grieviance for it.

Poop Head

Judge me.
BS. You don't make driver pay at all to be a helper.
Cite the contract article you're getting that from, and what region you are in.

In my local, the number just went from $15, to $17.25.
Also, you don't get paid at a higher rate during preload.

I don't believe you at all.
I have been paid top rate to be a helper outside of peak. They were short on drivers so they were sending supes out with helpers.
Was not paid top driver rate for pt shifts though, someone musta skrewed that up.

Hot Carl

I know they used helpers when all that Amazon Prime Day :censored2: came in last year and I've heard they're likely doing it again this time. Just a few weeks ago we had a hopelessly heavy day and they were sending supes up and down each belt asking every preloader if they wanted to help that day with few bites.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Can I get a driver helper to hook up air lines, raise and lower landing gear, and do a pretrip so I don’t have to leave my air conditioned tractor?