New PT Supervisor...any applicable suggestions for surviving?

She Nice Person

Laugh often, it will save your blood pressure!
I am nearly brand new to the ups environment. I came in as a seasonal package handler, and made the grind to management.

Now that I'm here, I'm realizing it is nothing like the union side. What advice would you have for a new kid on the block?

Last edited:

trickpony1

Didn't it startle you that you had just "...fallen off the turnip truck..." per se and they wanted to railroad you into a management position?

I understand there is a major effort to hire females, especially minorities and gay, but didn't you question their motives?

upschuck

I am nearly brand new to the ups environment. I came in as a seasonal package handler, and made the grind to management.

Now that I'm here, I'm realizing it is nothing like the union side. What advice would you have for a new kid on the block?
Thick skin, you will get crap on both sides, management side and union side.

She Nice Person

Laugh often, it will save your blood pressure!
Didn't it startle you that you had just "...fallen off the turnip truck..." per se and they wanted to railroad you into a management position?

I understand there is a major effort to hire females, especially minorities and gay, but didn't you question their motives?
It crossed my mind, but not much. The idea of job security, benefits, and slight pay increase outweighed the thought of obstacles I would come across.

I didn't realize it was because of gender, thank you for pointing that out. Either way, I'm here now haha and not greatly disappointed...just slightly overwhelmed.

UPSGUY72

Just do what you told. Also ask other PT Sups what the deal is in your building about things. The job is only as hard as you make it.

Anthonysg0113

I mean no disrespect, but by spring, early summer you will have either quit or will be looking for another job. Sorry... Supervision with this Company sucks. You should have just stuck it out hourly until you got seniority and until the next contract which is just over a couple years away.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Part time management is usually a dead end position. It depends on your education background and experience. Use this time to add it to your resume.

Management is this company is not what it used to be. But it's a good stepping stone to get in somewhere else that compensates better.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I mean no disrespect, but by spring, early summer you will have either quit or will be looking for another job. Sorry... Supervision with this Company sucks. You should have just stuck it out hourly until you got seniority and until the next contract which is just over a couple years away.
Unless you are not a loser.