New PVD - sorting tips please?

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Today will be my 4th day as a new PVD. I'm getting better at sorting after going from number sorting to street sorting but I still have to rifle through my gutted Subaru outback far too often. Any tips for a more efficient sorting method.
Many thanks. I respect the way you folks put in the hours you put in ALL YEAR round.

PPH_over_9000

I've never done PVD but I've gone on plenty of routes blind.

If you have room in your subaru, try to sort it by PAL/HIN number. Those 4-digit numbers on the PAL labels of every box-- for a PVD in my center, it'll look something like 105A - 4897. That first number is your route number, the second number is the PAL number.

Line your packages up by PAL. That way you should know exactly what area to rifle through when you pull up to your stop. Once a driver/loader learns that loading is just building a number line, everything becomes much easier.

TheDick

If they have totes in the bldg borrow a few or two. Helps Keep a subdivision together so your not backtracking for MIA smalls. PS this doesnt apply to furniture pkgs.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Today will be my 4th day as a new PVD. I'm getting better at sorting after going from number sorting to street sorting but I still have to rifle through my gutted Subaru outback far too often. Any tips for a more efficient sorting method.
Many thanks. I respect the way you folks put in the hours you put in ALL YEAR round.
Work slow. Call in if the weather is bad. Better yet, just don't show. Will UPS replace your Yugo if you crack it up?

BlackFriday

Thanks for the kind words (cough cough). It's funny that every driver I've met is beyond happy to assist me during this short holiday season. As it is, UPS drivers here in SE NC work until 9-10:00 PM. THAT'S non holiday hours. They are happy to get the help so eat a Richard you Biden voters. Show me how many permanent drivers got furloughed due to the PVD driver. SHOW ME! Keep your emotional decision making where the sun don't shine.
I deal in facts and truth. Show me how I'm dipping into your wallet and I WILL quit.
Cry baby udder grippers.

BlackFriday

Work slow. Call in if the weather is bad. Better yet, just don't show. Will UPS replace your Yugo if you crack it up?
Hey wally! Don't you think that you were kinda hard on the Beaver last night? Prolly not...
Sorry folks but I'm a self motivated person. I want to out work everyone that's in the same position I am. I get packages dropped at my home but I have had to go to the center to help other PVD drivers finish their route and I've been here for a total of 4 days. Most of the other PVD drivers I saw at the center moved slower than I thought physically possible. I have no idea how they get their runs done.
I've been asking for more volume since the second day and I've been told, "it's coming". Bring it on.
Every UPS driver that's delivered to my house have been impressive to me. They are literally all physically fit and move at a pace slightly below a jog. I'm totally in with their work ethic and I will bet they aren't Union puppy dogs.
Unions SUCK IMO. I bet several here will agree. Perhaps not on the record for fear of being labeled self motivated.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Hey wally! Don't you think that you were kinda hard on the Beaver last night? Prolly not...
Sorry folks but I'm a self motivated person. I want to out work everyone that's in the same position I am. I get packages dropped at my home but I have had to go to the center to help other PVD drivers finish their route and I've been here for a total of 4 days. Most of the other PVD drivers I saw at the center moved slower than I thought physically possible. I have no idea how they get their runs done.
I've been asking for more volume since the second day and I've been told, "it's coming". Bring it on.
Every UPS driver that's delivered to my house have been impressive to me. They are literally all physically fit and move at a pace slightly below a jog. I'm totally in with their work ethic and I will bet they aren't Union puppy dogs.
Unions SUCK IMO. I bet several here will agree. Perhaps not on the record for fear of being labeled self motivated.
You should be sent to Atlanta.

BlackFriday

Please report me so a mod can remove my membership.
Unions suck.
You union loyalists are Democrat voters. Democrats suck too.
My guess is that there are two camps here. One camp will blow a union boss and the other camp joined because they are forced to. The later camp don't need union protecfion. Their work ethic and drive to work hard makes a union an unnecessary evil.

DVIR

Please report me so a mod can remove my membership.
Unions suck.
You union loyalists are Democrat voters. Democrats suck too.
My guess is that there are two camps here. One camp will blow a union boss and the other camp joined because they are forced to. The later camp don't need union protecfion. Their work ethic and drive to work hard makes a union an unnecessary evil.
There are some serious instances where the union is needed. Some managers are on a power trip and would ruin peoples lives to get a promotion. The culture here is bad and i’m happy we have the union

BlackFriday

I was just trying to accommodate you malcontents.
Why would you all want another scab member?
I'm happy to stick around so long as folks can see the truth and address it???
Seems like a few like to match wits but come half prepared.
Please address the following if you would be so inclined : (insults are expected but don't really add to positive dialog)

Please tell me how many hours you average per week.

Drivers in my area work until 8-9 minimum. The sentiment I've received, so far, from the half dozen or so I've personally talked to to, is that they are thrilled to get the small amount of relief I provide.

I would hope to be called a scab by the drivers I've met if they were actually offended by the seasonal drivers ie me. I'm a old man and I don't get offended by others very easily so I would hope honesty would prevail. So far I'm comfortable they feel I'm helping.

This is an EIGHT WEEK gig. Can you honestly say I'm removing food stuffs from the folding table in front of the Barco lounger?

Perhaps the onion feels the work that seasonals do is a fart in a windstorm and not worth the trouble of removing?

Everything considered, do you think the onion is focused on helping the members???

Hopefully, from here forward, we can converse and share our thoughts productively. The name calling, some of which I'm guilty of, will stop. All those insults I've received have left me an emotional wreck. All I seem to do anymore is look over my shoulder 😁

quad decade guy

I was just trying to accommodate you malcontents.
Why would you all want another scab member?
I'm happy to stick around so long as folks can see the truth and address it???
Seems like a few like to match wits but come half prepared.
Please address the following if you would be so inclined : (insults are expected but don't really add to positive dialog)

Please tell me how many hours you average per week.

Drivers in my area work until 8-9 minimum. The sentiment I've received, so far, from the half dozen or so I've personally talked to to, is that they are thrilled to get the small amount of relief I provide.

I would hope to be called a scab by the drivers I've met if they were actually offended by the seasonal drivers ie me. I'm a old man and I don't get offended by others very easily so I would hope honesty would prevail. So far I'm comfortable they feel I'm helping.

This is an EIGHT WEEK gig. Can you honestly say I'm removing food stuffs from the folding table in front of the Barco lounger?

Perhaps the onion feels the work that seasonals do is a fart in a windstorm and not worth the trouble of removing?

Everything considered, do you think the onion is focused on helping the members???

Hopefully, from here forward, we can converse and share our thoughts productively. The name calling, some of which I'm guilty of, will stop. All those insults I've received have left me an emotional wreck. All I seem to do anymore is look over my shoulder 😁
I'll try to answer your question directly....but first...Know this....PVD's are a direct threat to regular UPS employees. In fact, could turn UPS INTO AN AMAZON.

Now to your question....while I've been out of pkg a few years......on any route.......experience(time on that route) will eventually simply make you better in every way....in other words it will teach you the small, critical details to be efficient.....close times, delivery points etc. Each route has a rhythm. A flow. A new route everyday is tough without area knowledge. Some are whizzes. Most not.

Now, coming in here(BC) and attacking us....yes us....is very troll like. Ballsy even.....

And these drivers that welcome your "help".....ask them when they are laid off or 10 hours of overtime is taken away from them....

Example: I returned to my building in my feeder....a civilian car followed me into the gate....stopped and said"WE ARE HERE FOR AN INTERVIEW(JOB)....." I told her to leave the property and go back to hr that she just passed. She then went on to complain that the parking lot had so many cars.....causing her to walk too far....saying "can't we do it from here......from the yard?". And yes, she was not challenged by any guard.

PVD's are the greatest threat to UPS as we know it. Possibly causing UPS to go out of business. Bought out by Amazon....

And say, why don't you apply for supervision? You would be a natural....but beware....you will be paid a fraction of an RPCD for twice the hours.....go get em tiger.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We got some hothead pvds last year who got burned pretty quickly.

This year at least they know how to play the game. Sabotage the company for a paycheck, make them think they are busting a union when in reality they lose hundreds of dollars over missed meet points and a couple residential stops.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

They understaff all year on purpose because it is cheaper to pay overtime than hire more drivers and pay benefits. And they get away with it because they have a bunch of Uber drivers come in at peak. Some of us are thinking about more than the next 8 weeks. We are thinking, do we really want an army of PVDs around during negotiation time. Maybe try Amazon flex? I hear you aren’t even allowed to say the word “union” there. You would fit in great.