New Recruits Beware

When In Rome...

My UPS Experience…

Applied online (Temporary Cover Driver) May 2019.

Received an appointment for a tour/interview immediately following.

Passed road test one week following my interview.

Passed DOT exam the next day.

Completed and passed the necessary prequalification courses required for “driver school”.

Attended “driver school”, otherwise known as New Service Provider Training (at a HUB 45 minutes away). Said training was condensed from five to three days and consisted of CBTs, lectures, a driver drill (in a Budget rental van), and three chances to pass the written 5 and 10. Roughly 12 people attended said class and EVERYONE “passed” - even my neighbor, who obviously cheated during the written exam (getting up to go to the bathroom three times in 30 minutes then feverishly writing down his answers thereafter).

My point? Too easy to pass and highly ineffective for ANY new driver. I walked away from driver school with a DOK amounting to nothing more than the 5 and 10 (learned before "driver school") in a pair of pants two inches too high (the only pants that fit from the rumpled selection retrieved from the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet).

I might have learned more “methods” had I attended a five day class or Integrad. Certainly, two more days would have allowed me to COMPLETE the CBTs, especially in light of half the computers freezing on day two. The latter prevented me from completing my DIAD training. I explained this to HR, who assured me that I would have at least three days of DIAD training at the center. I asked if I could access the remaining CBTs from home or at the center, but to no avail. Suffice to say, “driver school” offered little in the way of preparation, but I remained hopeful and tenacious in believing my On Car Supervisor would facilitate my success (ACCORDING TO MY NSPT MANUEL). No such luck. Rather than giving me an opportunity to drive, On Car remained behind the wheel 95% of the time, driving at break neck speed, grabbing the DIAD from my hand, and essentially using me to run-off packages. He didn’t bother to train me on the methods, backing, package selection, or lifting and lowering. He did nothing more than use me as a driver helper. He did; however, find time to insult me in front of a customer, talk to his girlfriend every night while driving home, and boast about his former experience as a beer delivery driver (during which he admittedly drove with a buzz). WTF? That was the moment my On Car Supervisor tarnished his own reputation and when I knew I was friend…ed!

I persisted nonetheless, not only believing the people who repeatedly said they “wanted me to succeed” but most important, believing in myself.

Not knowing what to expect (save the unexpected) I relied on information from HR, who confirmed in an email “The route you will be working with a supervisor is typically the route you will end up driving by yourself once you are fully trained.” This, combined with the guidelines from the NSPT Manuel, implied I would receive 20 training days, during which time I would learn about the methods, and ultimately prove myself with an independent dispatch. Instead, I learned four different routes, including air; barely drove; never took lunch or a break (despite working 13 hour days), but did in fact become highly proficient in learning how NOT to drive and what NOT to do.

In short, my training was a sham. Rather than facilitating my success or attempting to teach, my On Car Supervisor, used me as a driver helper to satisfy someone else’s requested time off.

I was employed before UPS, but quit to pursue my 20 day “training”, only to be told early in the morning on day 20, that I was disqualified on the basis of my “driving” and the decision was final. I reached out to HR in search of an explanation and corroborating evidence to support the decision, given that when I drove alone (to the Airport - the only time I drove alone) I did not experience any injuries or accidents and in fact, drove proficiently and according to protocol. I heard back from HR via a voicemail telling me, “I did look at some of the footage, actually, of you - when you came to stops - you just actually put it in reverse when you missed a stop and you didn’t even check to see if someone was behind you and for reasons like that we cannot have you on the road”.

This sounds reasonably, doesn’t it and is an explanation I would accept if it were TRUE.

However, the fact is that the purported “footage” was that of my On Car Supervisor telling me to back straight down a road after I missed a stop (despite both of us looking). I said to the supervisor, “Wait a minute. There’s a car coming”. The Supervisor said, “Keep going. You don’t have time to dilly dally”.

I shared this directly with HR via phone and email, but to no avail. A few people listened, but ultimately blew me off.

It’s clear to me, based on many of the posts I’ve read here, that UPS never intended to retain my services and that I am one of many external hires to have experienced an unhoped-for outcome (and sabotage).

I realize I have little recourse, and frankly have zero interest in pursuing the matter given the lies, deceit, and total waste of my time - not a culture I want to steep myself in. Not a job worth pursuing, but facts worth sharing for no other reason than telling truth.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar...

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
My UPS Experience…

Applied online (Temporary Cover Driver) May 2019.

Received an appointment for a tour/interview immediately following.

Passed road test one week following my interview.

Passed DOT exam the next day.

Completed and passed the necessary prequalification courses required for “driver school”.

Attended “driver school”, otherwise known as New Service Provider Training (at a HUB 45 minutes away). Said training was condensed from five to three days and consisted of CBTs, lectures, a driver drill (in a Budget rental van), and three chances to pass the written 5 and 10. Roughly 12 people attended said class and EVERYONE “passed” - even my neighbor, who obviously cheated during the written exam (getting up to go to the bathroom three times in 30 minutes then feverishly writing down his answers thereafter).

My point? Too easy to pass and highly ineffective for ANY new driver. I walked away from driver school with a DOK amounting to nothing more than the 5 and 10 (learned before "driver school") in a pair of pants two inches too high (the only pants that fit from the rumpled selection retrieved from the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet).

I might have learned more “methods” had I attended a five day class or Integrad. Certainly, two more days would have allowed me to COMPLETE the CBTs, especially in light of half the computers freezing on day two. The latter prevented me from completing my DIAD training. I explained this to HR, who assured me that I would have at least three days of DIAD training at the center. I asked if I could access the remaining CBTs from home or at the center, but to no avail. Suffice to say, “driver school” offered little in the way of preparation, but I remained hopeful and tenacious in believing my On Car Supervisor would facilitate my success (ACCORDING TO MY NSPT MANUEL). No such luck. Rather than giving me an opportunity to drive, On Car remained behind the wheel 95% of the time, driving at break neck speed, grabbing the DIAD from my hand, and essentially using me to run-off packages. He didn’t bother to train me on the methods, backing, package selection, or lifting and lowering. He did nothing more than use me as a driver helper. He did; however, find time to insult me in front of a customer, talk to his girlfriend every night while driving home, and boast about his former experience as a beer delivery driver (during which he admittedly drove with a buzz). WTF? That was the moment my On Car Supervisor tarnished his own reputation and when I knew I was friend…ed!

I persisted nonetheless, not only believing the people who repeatedly said they “wanted me to succeed” but most important, believing in myself.

Not knowing what to expect (save the unexpected) I relied on information from HR, who confirmed in an email “The route you will be working with a supervisor is typically the route you will end up driving by yourself once you are fully trained.” This, combined with the guidelines from the NSPT Manuel, implied I would receive 20 training days, during which time I would learn about the methods, and ultimately prove myself with an independent dispatch. Instead, I learned four different routes, including air; barely drove; never took lunch or a break (despite working 13 hour days), but did in fact become highly proficient in learning how NOT to drive and what NOT to do.

In short, my training was a sham. Rather than facilitating my success or attempting to teach, my On Car Supervisor, used me as a driver helper to satisfy someone else’s requested time off.

I was employed before UPS, but quit to pursue my 20 day “training”, only to be told early in the morning on day 20, that I was disqualified on the basis of my “driving” and the decision was final. I reached out to HR in search of an explanation and corroborating evidence to support the decision, given that when I drove alone (to the Airport - the only time I drove alone) I did not experience any injuries or accidents and in fact, drove proficiently and according to protocol. I heard back from HR via a voicemail telling me, “I did look at some of the footage, actually, of you - when you came to stops - you just actually put it in reverse when you missed a stop and you didn’t even check to see if someone was behind you and for reasons like that we cannot have you on the road”.

This sounds reasonably, doesn’t it and is an explanation I would accept if it were TRUE.

However, the fact is that the purported “footage” was that of my On Car Supervisor telling me to back straight down a road after I missed a stop (despite both of us looking). I said to the supervisor, “Wait a minute. There’s a car coming”. The Supervisor said, “Keep going. You don’t have time to dilly dally”.

I shared this directly with HR via phone and email, but to no avail. A few people listened, but ultimately blew me off.

It’s clear to me, based on many of the posts I’ve read here, that UPS never intended to retain my services and that I am one of many external hires to have experienced an unhoped-for outcome (and sabotage).

I realize I have little recourse, and frankly have zero interest in pursuing the matter given the lies, deceit, and total waste of my time - not a culture I want to steep myself in. Not a job worth pursuing, but facts worth sharing for no other reason than telling truth.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar...
you backed a ups truck all the way down a road, thats frowned upon

Box Ox

The latter prevented me from completing my DIAD training. I explained this to HR, who assured me that I would have at least three days of DIAD training at the center. I asked if I could access the remaining CBTs from home or at the center, but to no avail. Suffice to say, “driver school” offered little in the way of preparation

Sounds like you were too much of a diva and they decided to can you. No one gets enough DIAD training before they hit the road. And nobody is fully equipped for the job until they get some experience under their belt.

When In Rome...

Sounds like you were too much of a diva and they decided to can you. No one gets enough DIAD training before they hit the road. And nobody is fully equipped for the job until they get some experience under their belt.

That's exactly the point! Experience. It comes with time and teaching. So teach perfection then demand it.

BiggieBrown

You're an Ass. I was training and expected my On Car Supervisor to instruct me correctly! That's what training is for.

I'm just operating in reality.
You went in with your "expectations" and it got you disqualified.
Prepare for everything expect nothing. You have a head on your shoulders right? You did something you knew was incorrect simply because someone told you to do it.
Think about that for a second and what it means about who you are as a person. That's bigger than UPS and this should be a life lesson for you. Be a leader not a follower.

When In Rome...

I'm just operating in reality.
You went in with your "expectations" and it got you disqualified.
Prepare for everything expect nothing. You have a head on your shoulders right? You did something you knew was incorrect simply because someone told you to do it.
Think about that for a second and what it means about who you are as a person. That's bigger than UPS and this should be a life lesson for you. Be a leader not a follower.

I'm only accountable for the decisions I make. Deciding to comply with my Instructor was the only choice to make in that moment. He gave me bad advice without holding himself accountable. It's a shared responsibility 360 degrees.

When In Rome...

so what happened when you were by yourself, i know you did not train with on the on road sup thst much

I drove to the Airport (50 minutes each way) alone during Amazon week. Nothing eventful happened. I traveled round trip safely and on-time. It was my only chance to apply the training and prove myself. No injuries. No accidents. I mentioned that to my On Car Sup and DM the morning of my DQ. It fell on deaf ears.