New seasonal driver from the IT/sales world.

Capt. Insaino

Hello,
I took the time to read some of the replies to some of the posts in here, and it can sound somewhat concerning if one was trying to get on permanently from a seasonal driver. I spoke with numerous drivers at the Indianapolis location and they all told me if I do a good job (quick, come in every day and don't wreck the truck) there is a very good chance they will keep me on permanently after the first of the year, 2nd week of January. This is my hope. Anyway, I am 49 years old, in pretty good shape and making a career change. My wife passed away on December 21st of last year of cancer and I am needing something to help get me through this season, I just needed to make a change I guess. I know that I will stay very busy throughout the Christmas season from what everyone has been telling me. I know there are no guarantees but I believe that it will pay off. Question: what socks do you recommend to help keep your feet and calves from being sore at the end of the day? Something along the lines of a running sock that normally helps with those types of pains developing. Thanks.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sorry for your loss

Doesent matter what kind of socks you wear after climbing in and out of a package car literally hundreds of times a day your feet are going to hurt

Wouldn’t wish anybody to start the job at almost 50 years old.
Not sure you know what your getting yourself into

Good Luck you’re going to need it

Capt. Insaino

Sorry for your loss

Doesent matter what kind of socks you wear after climbing in and out of a package car literally hundreds of times a day your feet are going to hurt

Wouldn’t wish anybody to start the job at almost 50 years old.
Not sure you know what your getting yourself into

Good Luck you’re going to need it
Thank you.. it certainly isn't easy.
On my first day of riding along, which was Friday, I asked if he would allow me to do some of the things required of me once I start driving. By the end of my first day I was doing everything besides driving the truck. I run and hit the gym to stay in shape, so I did decent. It wore me out, I won't lie, but I am confident my body will adjust. I enjoy a challenge. My first day we got caught in a hail storm, that was fun. I slept well that night!

Porknado

Welcome. I’m new here too, new to UPS but not new to Teamsters or delivery driving, though mine has been CDL work of various stripes. I’m not far behind you at 43, so I’m coming in to this game quite late in life as well.

On the socks note, I find quality wool socks and good work boots to result in the least fatigue at the end of the day. It’s amazing how much good footwear helps to minimize the wear and tear on your body. Currently my gear of choice is Smartwool brand socks with Danner 8” Vicious work boots. Expensive, yes, but I intend to make my body last past retirement age and boots/socks are cheaper than joint replacements and physical therapy.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Welcome! I would suggest wearing a couple of pair of thick work socks, They cushion your feet. Also use Three Points of Contact getting in and out if the truck. Set the package down,hold the handrail and exit backwards. This saves ALOT of wear and tear on your legs,joints,etc

Last edited:

Capt. Insaino

I really appreciate the responses and advice. I will do the things you both suggest. I want my body to last past retirement age as well. Thanks again!