New sorter here. A little help?

newsortman

I was given this four page document to memorize last week for sort. In state and out of state seem simple, but I don't understand the other two pages. They're 2 day and 3 day sort. Are these pages for packages with 2/3 day shipping speed? Is that on the label? That would be nice cause it looks like anything with 2/3 day all goes on one belt.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Page 2.

0aaadbcc7b1aba514e2d65de57b0eb29.jpg

Duckwithapipboy

It would likely be best to ask a sorter in your building. We don't know your load line destinations, but I would assume it be the case for some of your belts.

For example we have a destination on our belt that runs out to the east coast for a three state spread. It can only be ground and one state has a split in which the sorter has to look at both the HRC and zip code to be between a certain range. The rest I assume goes to a different belt to be loaded and then quickly unloaded at a facility down the street for the air shuttle.

newsortman

Oh boy what have I done.

Thanks for the responses. Hope it doesn't seem like a silly question. I just don't want to get canned on my first week for throwing boxes on whatever belt I think has the prettiest color.

Duckwithapipboy

There are people who autopilot on sort that we'd love to get rid of, but once the man comes around they perk up. Just show that you are willing to put an effort in and be nice to the sorter right after you. He/she is going to be picking up a lot of slack from you the first week or two.

newsortman

There are people who autopilot on sort that we'd love to get rid of, but once the man comes around they perk up. Just show that you are willing to put an effort in and be nice to the sorter right after you. He/she is going to be picking up a lot of slack from you the first week or two.

Is it common for packages to end up on the wrong belts? I feel like that would be super easy to do. Especially for someone new. Worse yet, someone new on autopilot.

Duckwithapipboy

You have hundreds of packages coming at you at once and a belt goes down because they can't do their job, or you just slammed them hard because management is triple dooring their heaviest trailer from both sides of the unload. That means their feed belt is off and you are starting to triple stack packages wishing that it'll start. Boxes start to fall into your pit and you start to lose the ability to move three inches. You remember that you need to work safely, and throw as little of those things on the next feed belt to make sure you don't completely bury yourself and damn the consequences.

Duckwithapipboy

They try and test our guys regularly with problem sorts, but some never put in the effort to correct it, which is why I really hate HRC's with splits based on zip code. It makes people lazier when they know "982 9-04! I should check the zip to see if it goes to Redmond or Seattle!"

And that's when I stop sending it back on the feed line and let the entire 90 piece account sit for the night until it goes hot.