New Style Package Car

Do you like this package car?

• Yes

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 46.8%

• Total voters

UPSBluRdg03

Hideous but long as she does the job thats all that matters. My center would take anything at this point. They have been scraping some old 1000's due to not being able to equip them with Telematics. Several days a week the entire fleet is on the road.

iowa boy

Faded out? In a few months it will be beat up and hanging off in shreds.

Ok, point taken!:peaceful: I was trying to be optimistic about it not getting scratched up, (no pun intended), or ripped off within the first month. But if you do scratch it up, will it be considered an accident? I can foresee that being classified as an accident.

The company can't get anything right, this "truck" will be no different. Just ask your building mechanics about the trucks UPS has been purchasing for the last 5-10 years.

It is probably the ugliest delivery vehicle I have ever laid eyes on. Even worse than the yellow DHL vans, honestly. Looks don't mean much, but its really the elephant in the room with this truck model. Way too much plastic, looks like an oversized KIA suv painted brown.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hideous but long as she does the job thats all that matters. My center would take anything at this point. They have been scraping some old 1000's due to not being able to equip them with Telematics. Several days a week the entire fleet is on the road.
A few cracked frames can change that for ya!!:wink2:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ok, so where as I don't really care for the plastic trim or the nose of the truck, I do like the tail. It has a kind of futuristic look to it which looks pretty sexy. And if it has key fobs to eliminate keys then thats even better :D

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ok, so where as I don't really care for the plastic trim or the nose of the truck, I do like the tail. It has a kind of futuristic look to it which looks pretty sexy. And if it has key fobs to eliminate keys then thats even better :D

I hope that it also has a key as a backup. Small electronic devices have a way of failing when you need them the most, and the nice part about locks and keys is that they have been around for hundreds of years and they work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hideous. Give me back my manual steering '87 GMC with the 4-speed and 383,000 miles on the odometer.

In my 23 years I have driven everything from a 1957 P-400 to a modern P-7.

My personal method of grading the various models of package car is by using the "IPH" equation, which stands for "Ibuprofen Per Hour" that I will have to consume during and after the time that I have to deliver out of said vehicle.

The 80's GMC's are among the worst vehicles that UPS ever put out on the road in terms of IPH, and truly the most unforgiveable in the sense that the company made a calculated and intentional decision to deliberately eliminate basic ergonomic and safety features that were industry standard at that time. I can forgive them for putting such a vehicle on the road in 1958; but there was no excuse for doing so in 1988. The 80's GMC's were functionally identical to the P-600's except for having fuel injection and aluminum doors and shelves instead of plywood. In terms of the punishment they inflicted upon the driver, they were every bit as bad as vehicles that had been made half a century ealier.

My vote for the best car ever made...is the 1994 International/Powerstroke bubble-nosed P-700. They are low to the ground, they can get under low hanging branches and wires, they have an excellent turning radius, and they are heavy which means better traction in mud and snow. They have the full length lumbar support seat with 3-pt seatbelt and power steering. They are easy for the shop to keep running because the powertrain is the common Powerstroke diesel V-8 with Spicer 5-speed manual transmission which means that parts are easily available. We have a few in our building with over 300,000 on 'em and they are as good or better than any of the new cars.

brownelf

I hope that it also has a key as a backup. Small electronic devices have a way of failing when you need them the most, and the nice part about locks and keys is that they have been around for hundreds of years and they work.

that new one has a standard ignition key as a backup in case it fails

wornoutupser

They are easy for the shop to keep running because the powertrain is the common Powerstroke diesel V-8 with Spicer 5-speed manual transmission which means that parts are easily available. We have a few in our building with over 300,000 on 'em and they are as good or better than any of the new cars.

Sober-
Only 300,000 on them? Our first line air car has 440,000 on the odometer and it is considered to be one of the best that we have to send to the airport. Can I come drive one of your "new" cars???

wornoutupser

Thats happening across the country. We have a PM shuttle driver that had to sit in the building the other day (and get paid) because the was nothing for him to drive! We still have many of the old 80's P10s here and they are being towed in daily. One was dispatched three days in a row- and was towed in each day with another breakdown. It is back on line for Monday. The top speed for this car is only 57 mph!

upsgrunt

They are easy for the shop to keep running because the powertrain is the common Powerstroke diesel V-8 with Spicer 5-speed manual transmission which means that parts are easily available. We have a few in our building with over 300,000 on 'em and they are as good or better than any of the new cars.

Sober-
Only 300,000 on them? Our first line air car has 440,000 on the odometer and it is considered to be one of the best that we have to send to the airport. Can I come drive one of your "new" cars???

Agreed! I was offered a new Workhorse P7 in November of 2010 to replace a P7 I had been driving that had just under 700,000 miles, and the motor had never been pulled. It would not get past 55 mph in under a mile, and it rode like it had square wheels. Oh how much better my attitude is today; I often look forward to going to work.

slantnosechevy

Could be coming to a center near you. I hear there are 6 in the country on trial run. 4 cyl Isuzu engine (waiting for Geiger counter).

View attachment 5145View attachment 5146View attachment 5147

Mechanic Supe says UPS wants a 4cyl. turbo diesel. They met with Catepiller and were told that wouldn't be financially possible to make a special engine just for UPS. Isuzu already makes one and this is what the engineers came up with. They're trying to standardize their fleet. One motor and drivetrain. With all the changing emission standards both federal and the differing state regulations you can imagine how much UPS pays in fees to run the older pkg.cars. It'll be cheaper to crush old ones even though they're built better than these new ones. Bottom line is they want to build a cheaper car and not worry about it lasting 20+ years anymore. You never forget your first piece of arse and you never forget your first package car. This one won't make you forget either.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We currently have an EAM driver running one of those. Funny thing is it does have Michigan plates and it's down here I. Georgia. As a side note got thrown in a old gmc the other day. Awaiting the determination if the cost of my fords fix is over 300 bucks, if so I guess me and the gmc gunna hit the gym at 120+ miles a day.