New thing in our hub, not scanning pickups.

OptimusPrime

Other than a possible production push, can anyone give me a reason this makes any sense? We still scan the end of day, and drop boxes, but for daily pickups and special counts, we were told it was policy to no longer scan them.

ymelord

Scan them anyway it's your customers first scan of their pkg, your doing them a favor, that way if the pkg never shows up again your scan will show you picked it up, otherwise later you look bad, the customer knows he gave it to you, but there is no proof for ups to have to pay a claim, it's all on you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Other than a possible production push, can anyone give me a reason this makes any sense? We still scan the end of day, and drop boxes, but for daily pickups and special counts, we were told it was policy to no longer scan them.

Where the heck have you been? That procedure was implemented a decade or so ago - 2003 comes to mind.
The policy is, "Don't scan packages unless the drivers needs to".

You should only scan pickups for these events - EOD, Drop boxes and walk-ups. I don't know what special counts are but that may be legit.

Pickup scans are not promulgated to the tracking database for display to the customer in most cases.
The first event displayed is the Origin scan if one is made.

brett636

I was doing this as an air driver 6 years ago. If I was at a customer's location I didn't scan every package they handed me unless some special reason existed that required me too.

kingOFchester

At a daily pick up I scan the end of day.

A walk up, I scan the package.

If I am tapping a pick up, or closing the pick up....I scan all packages I put in my truck.

My first few weeks driving, I was called into office do to the numbers not adding up at a pick up I was closing that was tapped by another driver. To cover my pimple covered :censored2:, I make sure that I have a record of what I picked up.

barnyard

KTM rider
We were told to quit scanning everything except the end of day years ago, at least 2 or 3 years ago. That means that for the route I did Thursday, most of the packages got their 1st scan in the building. It also means that if one of those was a terrorist package, they would have no idea which driver picked it up, what time or from where. I think it is an incredibly stupid policy and will continue doing it until it bites some manager in the can.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Was told during a safety ride about 18 months ago to only scan end of days and high value parcels. All ARS parcels picked up at a daily account are to be added to the package total but not scanned.

babboo25

Banned
Scan away, it will show that you are stealing time.
HUH? stealing time? Occasionally I have a 100+ pkg on call, there is no end of day summary, so I scan every pkg as I load. Was instructed to do this by center manager as it helps their #s, more pickup pieces. If I'm at a pickup that has end of day of course I dont scan pkgs. But I do scan all ARS, internationals and high values.

yeldarb

I scan if there is no end of day. When I am counting, inevitably someone starts talkin to me, and I lose my count. It is my way of counting. I guess it's stealing time if I scan, or padding my numbers if I don't scan, because then I will be estimating...and guaranteed, I will guess high on the estimate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HUH? stealing time? Occasionally I have a 100+ pkg on call, there is no end of day summary, so I scan every pkg as I load. Was instructed to do this by center manager as it helps their #s, more pickup pieces. If I'm at a pickup that has end of day of course I dont scan pkgs. But I do scan all ARS, internationals and high values.

My reference was to those drivers who scan all of the packages at stops that have an end of day summary barcode.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
We were told to scan anything that doesn't have an EOD, or wasn't processed online. These are the packages that do not have the package with the bowtie under the barcode.