New to preloading, what is / why lip loading?

J

jibbs

Our preload has been told lately to load packages to the wall of the shelf and load out from there. So bad. So very bad.

There was a manager in my center that liked to call this "painting the walls brown."

It only works when the loader makes an effort to sequence throughout the shift as he/she loads and get those early-in-the-day packages up off the wall. If they don't then the end result will be a cluster:censored2: of boxes almost every time.

laffter

What exactly is the advantage of lip loading? I see discussions saying that a package is less likely to fall off when lip loaded but that seems counter intuitive to me. Wouldn't it be less likely to fall off if it's behind the lip?

I'm assuming this may have already been answered. Nevertheless- lip loading is effective when packages must be stacked on top of other packages (on shelves). The top packages are at a decline towards the sides of the truck and are less likely to fall off the shelves in-transit. This is most effective when there are no gaps between packages when the load is finished. Gaps will allow packages to move side to side, and stuff will fall off anyway.

Lip loading is absolutely ineffective if every package is side-by-side, which may only occur for a training or rural route (unlikely anyway).

Earlier this week I loaded a junk resi route and at the end of the sort, it was so light that I went through (because I had time) and put every package in 100% sequential order, side-by-side, not lip loaded. Shortly after, the dispatch guy came by and cut the route. Such is life at UPS.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had one hell of a drift earlier this year, damn near got the 1200 I was driving sideways driving down an empty resi street. Since I was able to recover it, it was AWESOME. Up until that point though, it was a bit scary.
You're going to be knocking people off the sidewalk drifting a P12. (If there were any)

SmithBarney

Ahh the memories of the First turn THUMP... knowing your entire top shelf just put itself on the floor.. or even better some land on the opposite side shelf on the way down, only to be discovered late in the day...