New to the forum and not associated with UPS

yunebug

Hi everyone. While doing research, I came across this forum and I thought I'd ask.

I'm a local high school drama teacher and we are currently in rehearsal for "Legally Blonde" in which a UPS driver named Kyle is involved. I wanted the costume and props that belong to this character to be as authentic as possible, so I started searching the internet to see where I could possibly pick up a used or broken DIAD (had to search for that term, too).

Reviewing the YouTube video of the production, the Kyle character is actually carrying an older generation DIAD.

Anyway, would you be able to shed some light on this? Does the possibility of buying a used/broken DIAD even exist? Or would I have to start searching for an alternative? Like taking an old scientific calculator, painting it brown, and pretending the screen is a touch-screen? xD

Thanks in advance for your help on this. :0)

upschuck

Authentic uniforms are also going to be hard to come by, as UPS does not like them being worn by non-UPS people, since that brown uniform gives us a bypass into many secured areas.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I should think a person with some wood working skills could make a copy close enough to fool an audience.
Have the schools electric shop whip up some LEDs & a sound generator to simulate scanning, and have the wood shop carve up a body to put it in.

Observer

Go to the thrift store and pick up a desk type calculator-then duct tape or paint the sides of it. A lot of calculators have a battery back up -so that would light up the "Diad" enough to convince the audience. Good luck with your theater production.

Observer

Go to the thrift store and pick up a desk type calculator - then duct tape or paint the sides of it. A lot of calculators have a battery back up - so that would light up the "Diad"" enough to convince the audience.