New to ups and the Cafe!

Jenzer

Box Slinger
I'd like to start with a simple hello. I have been loading at the columbus hub for almost a month now. I don't really have any questions that you all havn't already answered. I'm very happy to have this job. I've lost weight and I'm starting to gain a considerable amount of muscle. That rules! My only concern is the pay. I know that in time this job will be worth it but it's just not enough to live on yet. I'm holding my breath for a driving position even though I'm sure it's unwise to do so. Either way, wish me luck people. I have a little girl who's depending on me.

The Milkman

Welcome.. When I started I took a big pay cut and looked down the road knowing that eventually I would be making more Money. That said..it won't be easy as you will have more demands put on you that you never would of dreamed of. I made it and retired and wonder how I made it. Not an easy path but do your best,don't complain, come to work everyday, work as directed and you to can someday say "I Made it!"

Jenzer

Box Slinger
Thanks for the encouraging words milkman. My goal at ups is to provide a gainful future for myself and my daughter. From what I'm hearing it's very possible. I'm excited to start a decent life for us both.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'd like to start with a simple hello. I have been loading at the columbus hub for almost a month now. I don't really have any questions that you all havn't already answered. I'm very happy to have this job. I've lost weight and I'm starting to gain a considerable amount of muscle. That rules! My only concern is the pay. I know that in time this job will be worth it but it's just not enough to live on yet. I'm holding my breath for a driving position even though I'm sure it's unwise to do so. Either way, wish me luck people. I have a little girl who's depending on me.
Welcome to UPS (*unofficially), and the Brown Cafe. Hey Jenzer, how old are you? Do you have another job to make ends meet? If not, I suggest you get one, as a driving position may be a ways off. Good luck on your journey.

Jenzer

Box Slinger
I'm 25. I'm currently trying to find something part time but I'm working the night shift and with a 5 year old not in school yet, it's going to be difficult. I'm still holding out for the 90 day pay raise. I know that will help.

fethrs

Welcome Jenzer, just like your pesonal sig says "buy the ticket, take the ride", it kind of sums it up here on bc and at UPS. Good luck!:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm 25. I'm currently trying to find something part time but I'm working the night shift and with a 5 year old not in school yet, it's going to be difficult. I'm still holding out for the 90 day pay raise. I know that will help.
Be patient, things will be as they are supposed to be. Welcome and good luck. :happy2:

DS

Fenderbender
thanks for joining the bc...you will find lots of great advice here,and some bad...in the beginning it may be wise to have a 2nd job in order to buy food and toilet paper,but ups loves over achievers,and you sound like you will do just fine.Oh yea,work safe...I mean it. g-luck

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Welcome and good luck. Don't get discouraged and try to gain info from the people here at BC, alot of them have travelled the same road.

bigbrownhen

Welcome Jenzer, good luck with your new job. It is a great way to provide for your girl, the hours can be harsh, but I know my family is worth it. I keep pic of them in my truck to remind me if I get discouraged by all the bull that comes down from time to time. Work safe, and as directed, you'll be fine, and try to keep a positive outlook. "Get the big picture"

pmoneyz

hello my name is phill brand new here the site looks great i hopeing some one here can help i just got a interview date for june22,2009 for part time pkg handler the real job i want is to drive big rig truck but i figure you have to get in the door first now i have class a cdl 2 years exp driving ,hazmat/tanker,doubles,ups is not hireing drivers right now only ups freight i want to be union plus richmond ups ca is 90 miles away from houselong drive but i figured that i could tranfer later on 1 to 2 years from now so what are my chances of me becomeing a cdl truck driver for ups after a while plus im hopeing that its not just a seasonal pt job being that its june want to work for ups as long one day i can work as a cdl driver one day do you think i have a chance going this route thanks

jennie

Heya Jenzer, good luck with UPS and your lil one. Hang in there, my first two weeks I cried but I am a girl so its ok. I made it though, have great insurance, just always show up on time, and never work before your start time, lol.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
hello my name is phill brand new here the site looks great i hopeing some one here can help i just got a interview date for june22,2009 for part time pkg handler the real job i want is to drive big rig truck but i figure you have to get in the door first now i have class a cdl 2 years exp driving ,hazmat/tanker,doubles,ups is not hireing drivers right now only ups freight i want to be union plus richmond ups ca is 90 miles away from houselong drive but i figured that i could tranfer later on 1 to 2 years from now so what are my chances of me becomeing a cdl truck driver for ups after a while plus im hopeing that its not just a seasonal pt job being that its june want to work for ups as long one day i can work as a cdl driver one day do you think i have a chance going this route thanks
Short reply. Chances are VERY slim.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If it's any consolation, jenzer, there's a guy in my building that's ready to move on because he can't pay his bills. Some people will stick it out and some won't. When you look at the list of those waiting to go driving, you can whittle away a bunch of people for different reasons.

Bad licenses, won't pass the class, will quit before called upon, don't want to go driving and such. Sometimes you have to be an optimist.