New tractor rules?

Hangingon

We had a message posted in Dispatch that any personal items over 10 pounds (I'm assuming radio/CB combos, but they might mean those extra large lunches also) have to be bolted down to the tractor itself. All cleaners and solvents must also be removed from the tractor. They are saying it is a DOT rule, with a $500 fine. Has anyone heard about this? Not sure what I would do without my de-greaser and Windex.

Haven`t heard any of that especially since I saw a 710 driver stuffing boxes into the cab of his tractor for the trip back. Kind of questionable as the stuff on the seat block the view of his pass side spot mirror.

diesel96

Haven't heard anything related to that......sounds ridiculos being that my lunch cooler with blue ice 4/5 bottles of water, fruit, and sandwich can exceed the wieght limit.....also my lil tote box of cleaning products, extra electrical cord, krowbar, pindall safety pins, plastic ties, gromets, safety vest, rainjacket would have to be removed.....ain't happening.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I haven't heard of any such rule but if UPS would have factory radios installed and hired enough car washers to actually keep them clean there wouldn't be any problems with this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had a message posted in Dispatch that any personal items over 10 pounds (I'm assuming radio/CB combos, but they might mean those extra large lunches also) have to be bolted down to the tractor itself. All cleaners and solvents must also be removed from the tractor. They are saying it is a DOT rule, with a $500 fine. Has anyone heard about this? Not sure what I would do without my de-greaser and Windex.
'Tis true guys (from hubby the truck driver). Everything in cab must be secured and any aerosol cans are no longer allowed. Sorry.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
They haven't said anything about the 10 lb. thing here, yet. But they did make everyone remove all cleaners from UPS property that doesn't have the label of the cleaners UPS uses. Said we can't even keep it in our lockers. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MSDS, but 1 driver obtained an MSDS for whatever cleaner he uses and had the shop put it on file. Haven't talked to him about it since, don't know if that pacified them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It probably is dad. When I was doing hazmat it was a big issue having MSDS for all things liquid. Fortunately we are a small ctr with no shop and didn't have a lot of things to keep track of.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
nobody said anything to us. My radio box weighs well over 10 lbs. Screw it.....until I have someone personally address me on it I will continue to roll as is

JustTired

free at last.......
While the "over 10" is being touted as a safety issue....it is my opinion that some bean counter has decided that if they could just reduce the overall weight of each vehicle by 10 lbs........................you get the picture.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I have glass clener in a windex bottle,that should be marked well enough to show I'm not a terrorist I would hope!! These people are INSANE !!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have glass clener in a windex bottle,that should be marked well enough to show I'm not a terrorist I would hope!! These people are INSANE !!!
Cove, to my understanding it is just aerosol cans that aren't allowed. I am guessing because of the chance of the can exploding if involved in a rollover accident.

over9five

Staff member
I always seatbelt my radio to the passenger seat, as I have considered that it would be quite the projectile in an accident.
I always thought cleaners just had to be marked as such.
Have heard nothing of this here (yet).

Highwayman

Times are slow, something else to pick on us about. I was just getting used to being picked on for not always answering DOK questions right.:sad-very:

raceanoncr

Geez, this is gonna put a kink into some of these supes and mngrs that want you to put a late air or ground package in the cab, huh?

Mabey another case of their getting their d*** in their zipper!

A

anonymous6

While the "over 10" is being touted as a safety issue....it is my opinion that some bean counter has decided that if they could just reduce the overall weight of each vehicle by 10 lbs........................you get the picture.

no. it is a dot regulation. everything must be secured in case of a roll over. even a very small item can do considerable damage to your head.

bluehdmc

Haven't heard anything about this in NJ. Lots of tractors here have bags of chains in them. Sometimes the breakdown triangle boxes aren't even bolted down.
I can understand the safety issue in a rollover, but then they better get the chains, etc. out. (It is only August). Of course if you get stuck next winter then they'll say, "Where are you chains?"