New tractor rules?

trickpony1

If your tractor rolls, a can of window cleaner exploding or hitting you in the head will be WAY down your list of things to worry about.

Should be interesting when a bunch of drivers line up at the shop to use the window cleaner to clean the water spots and dirt off the mirrors.

tieguy

Banned
I haven't heard about any new push with the in cab area.

You should secure your radio box for your own safety. You don't have to roll the tractor to turn something into a flying projectile. A flying projectile could be the difference between you controlling your vehicle in an emergency and or you being distracted or even knocked unconcious.

The fluid issue is one that is usually driven by Osha requirements that any chemicals you use be labeled and have a supporting msds sheet on property. If you secure a bottle of window cleaner or degreaser behind the seat the chances of that becoming a threat to you is slim and none. Most feeder departments I've seen employ a don't ask/don't tell policy with those items.

diesel96

Why, do you own the tractor????

I think you know the answer to that Mr Barnyard....besides, maybe your passive, but I'm not that easy of a pushover. Send me or any one of my peers out on a 400 mile trek with no cooler(food and water), radio, backpacks, etc....and there will be problems....now if they want to provide us with radios, a center counsels that dubs as coolers, secured storage boxes and mesh nets, then be my guest, I will gladly comply.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Haven't heard anything related to that......sounds ridiculos being that my lunch cooler with blue ice 4/5 bottles of water, fruit, and sandwich can exceed the wieght limit.....also my lil tote box of cleaning products, extra electrical cord, krowbar, pindall safety pins, plastic ties, gromets, safety vest, rainjacket would have to be removed.....ain't happening.

D, we'll let you argue that with Obama's government.

City Driver

put all your cleaners in a crate and put it on the catwalk, they will love that

if u by any chance drive a sleeper then there is of course the storage box behind the driver door but we barely have any sleepers here and i cant think of the last time i saw a UPS sleeper

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Not being in feeders, I do know that all portable objects need to be fastened or seat belted for your safety.

The cleaners are a two fold issue.

Some of the cleaners are not in the original containers. They are not marked with what is in the bottle, a DOT and OSHA violation. Further, if UPS does not have the MSDS sheet for your product, they can and will be fined.

In my spray truck, I have two whole folders of MSDS sheets for every chemical, liquid, solid or gas, that is on that truck. And I have to be very careful that one of the guys does not pick up something for one of the out of town jobs, and does not include an MSDS for it. That includes after shave, soap, tooth paste etc that we carry on the truck.

They have a tendency to go overboard on these things, and the fine can be expensive.

As for keeping those chemicals in the cab, as long as they are secured and capped, there should be no problem. If it were me, I would carry the MSDS sheets for what I used in the cab with me.

d

tieguy

Banned
I think you know the answer to that Mr Barnyard....besides, maybe your passive, but I'm not that easy of a pushover. Send me or any one of my peers out on a 400 mile trek with no cooler(food and water), radio, backpacks, etc....and there will be problems....now if they want to provide us with radios, a center counsels that dubs as coolers, secured storage boxes and mesh nets, then be my guest, I will gladly comply.

Typical liberal demanding government control our lives and then fighting it when it affects him.:happy-very:

Perhaps you can get Obama to generate some more stimulus money to buy you a cooler. :happy-very:

diesel96

D, we'll let you argue that with Obama's government.

Typical liberal demanding government control our lives and then fighting it when it affects him.:happy-very:

Perhaps you can get Obama to generate some more stimulus money to buy you a cooler. :happy-very:

Seriously, you two, this isn't politcal, as much fun as we have bantering each other in Current Events, we all know this stinks of the Capitalistic profit driven insurance lobbiest griesing the palms of the DOT :wink2:, so how bout we trade in our tracters as "cash for clunkers" and this time on the new vehicles leave the mfg's radios installed, and some storage compartments. But it does kind of suck when guys have to share or use different tracters everyday and are installing and taking out their radio/cb boxes everyday along with their tools and extra supplies. But, I hate to admit, Tieguy is right, secure your radio boxes with tiedown straps, heavy duty bungees, even the seat belt. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Fed Ex tracters come with more upgrades than ours....any Fed Ex/ground tracter drivers out there, feel free to chime...

bluehdmc

It would be nice if the tractors had radios but...........if they ever broke they would never get repaired. I've seen drivers write up tractors for antenna replacement and the shops comment was something about "driver convienence" and wasn't replaced.

outta hours

It would be nice if the tractors had radios but...........if they ever broke they would never get repaired. I've seen drivers write up tractors for antenna replacement and the shops comment was something about "driver convienence" and wasn't replaced.

That is why its a good idea to be freindly to the mechanics at the other hubs. One hub I go to they always have every thing in stock. I have had many things changed out there while I waited for the sort to go down. Antennas included.

By the way no word here yet on the 10lb. rule. My Jethro lunchbox is easily over that limit.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
No word on the 10lb rule here either. My radio box is seatbelted in the RH seat, and the windex/dawn is in the door pocket on the right side, or in the mesh pocket down on the back cab wall.
The powers to be would have a fit at all the coats, rain jackets, pillows, blankets, egg timer, remote control for the radio, that I keep in my tractor.

tieguy

Banned
Seriously, you two, this isn't politcal, as much fun as we have bantering each other in Current Events, we all know this stinks of the Capitalistic profit driven insurance lobbiest griesing the palms of the DOT :wink2:, so how bout we trade in our tracters as "cash for clunkers" and this time on the new vehicles leave the mfg's radios installed, and some storage compartments. But it does kind of suck when guys have to share or use different tracters everyday and are installing and taking out their radio/cb boxes everyday along with their tools and extra supplies. But, I hate to admit, Tieguy is right, secure your radio boxes with tiedown straps, heavy duty bungees, even the seat belt. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Fed Ex tracters come with more upgrades than ours....any Fed Ex/ground tracter drivers out there, feel free to chime...

Looking for help from a fdx driver?

Its real simple . UPS is supposed to enforce federal rules and guidelines. in most cases we management look the other way because management thinks the rules are BS. But if we get forced into enforcing those rules then I think its time to hate the benevolent government you support and not the company who enforces their rules. don't hate the player hate the game. peace out. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
Well its about time the heat was transfered to the feeder dept. Its been way too cushy over there for too long. Think of the weight UPS could save if they got rid of the airconditioners.:wink2:

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Rod, I am gonna reach thru this computer and strangle you. Air conditioning was one of the main reasons I went into feeders. That and more money..... did I tell you about the money?

When I'm dripping my a** off with sweat pulling a motor or trans and a 25 yr old feeder driver who came out of part time into a good job cries because he has no a/c and ask what can I do for him, my reply is, " I can't make you a man! "

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well its about time the heat was transfered to the feeder dept. Its been way too cushy over there for too long. Think of the weight UPS could save if they got rid of the airconditioners.:wink2:
Rod,
Let me know if you want me to delete that post. :knockedout: