New Tractor

over9five

Staff member
Anyone have one of the new Macks 272xxx? The ones that take the DEF fluid.

Beautiful tractors, great drives, but here's what happened to me last night:

Pull into a facility and dump my trailer.The little screen lights up and says "DPF full. Please park and REGEN by pushing REGEN button".

OK, brand new tractor, I decide I should do what it says before I drive it and it breaks. Park, push the button, idle jumps up to 1200. As I'm waiting, I'm reading the info on the visor. DPF is Deisel Particulate Filter, Idle is supposed to jump up when you do this, yada yada yada...

Half an hour later, I'm still waiting..... I assume the idle will go back to normal when it's done??
Anyhow, after half an hour I had had enough. Let go my brakes (idle goes back to normal) and I headed home. No more warnings that trip.

So my question is, How do you know when that thing is done?

raceanoncr

Pull into a facility and dump my trailer.The little screen lights up and says "DPF full. Please park and REGEN by pushing REGEN button".

OK, brand new tractor, I decide I should do what it says before I drive it and it breaks. Park, push the button, idle jumps up to 1200. As I'm waiting, I'm reading the info on the visor. DPF is Deisel Particulate Filter, Idle is supposed to jump up when you do this, yada yada yada...

Half an hour later, I'm still waiting..... I assume the idle will go back to normal when it's done??
Anyhow, after half an hour I had had enough. Let go my brakes (idle goes back to normal) and I headed home. No more warnings that trip.

When you're sitting 300 miles from home with no engine running, snow flying so furious you can't see the hood, your phone is dead, your Mountain Dew is gone, your overnight bag is in your car in the parking lot.

brett636

Yea, we've got 30 of those tractors so far. I haven't had that happen to me yet, but I did get a check engine light once on my way back from CACH. It only figures it would go out right as I hit the lot. I've heard other guys talking about them blowing fuses for the cig light plugs. That whole def fluid nonsense is going to prove to be a headache for anyone who drives these trucks. Especially as they get older it can only get worse. As far as the DPF filter is concerned the truck will typically run its own burn cycle when you are on the highway. As I understand it it only needs to be manually regenerated if its been a long time since the last cycle and the filter gets full.

dvrslim

If the Macks are like the Internationals you don't need to Regen. Once you get back on the road it will take care of itself. I shared my tractor with a local driver who drove slow all the time. That light would be on almost every night. After I drove it at highway speeds for about 30 minutes it would go off. The shop told me to Regen only if the bells and horns started going off. It takes 30-45 minutes to Regen.

meo27

The regen should take about half a hour to 45 minutes to do. When it's done the idle will go down by it self. By the way avoid parking near flammable stuff, the exhaust will get pretty hot.

Big Babooba

True or false? I've heard that drivers of the new tractors had to watch a training video before they could drive one.

A little off the subject but related to emissions - Is it true that some tractors have a separate tank for cow urine? I also heard that the shop at CHEMA has a bulk tank full of the stuff. Is somebody pulling my leg? If it's true, does it help you mooooove on down the road?

True or false? I've heard that drivers of the new tractors had to watch a training video before they could drive one.

A little off the subject but related to emissions - Is it true that some tractors have a separate tank for cow urine? I also heard that the shop at CHEMA has a bulk tank full of the stuff. Is somebody pulling my leg? If it's true, does it help you mooooove on down the road?

umm........rimshot?

tieguy

Banned

DEF ( diesel exhaust fuel) is what some have come to call cow urine. presently its ordered in big 300 gallon skid containers and 55 gallon pump dispensers. Most facilities are not designed for it. You can's store it outside since it will freeze in colder climates you have to wheel the 55 gallon dispenser in and out of a building or find a place indoors where you can store it.

This is to improve emissions. there is a seperate tank for it. I have not seen any new ups tractors with it but I have seen it on rentals. On those the extra tank was located between the steps and diesel tank on the tractor. One issue I see is you cant visually inspect the tank to see if its full you have to rely on the gauge not sure if the new mac's are the same?

there is a training powerpoint presentation you can play i have not seen a video.

Over I'm surprised to hear about the regeneration. There is a phase of tractors that requires regeneration to clear out exhaust emissions. I didnt realize regeneration was required with the DEF systems.

My understanding is you can regenerate if you're driving down the highway but should probably pull over if you're in heavy stop and go driving to regenerate.

outta hours

Off topic but, Over I thought you went back to the dark side? (pkg. Car)

brett636

I have not had to watch any extra training videos to drive them and I take them out all the time.

DEF ( diesel exhaust fuel) is what some have come to call cow urine. presently its ordered in big 300 gallon skid containers and 55 gallon pump dispensers. Most facilities are not designed for it. You can's store it outside since it will freeze in colder climates you have to wheel the 55 gallon dispenser in and out of a building or find a place indoors where you can store it.

This is to improve emissions. there is a seperate tank for it. I have not seen any new ups tractors with it but I have seen it on rentals. On those the extra tank was located between the steps and diesel tank on the tractor. One issue I see is you cant visually inspect the tank to see if its full you have to rely on the gauge not sure if the new mac's are the same?

there is a training powerpoint presentation you can play i have not seen a video.

Over I'm surprised to hear about the regeneration. There is a phase of tractors that requires regeneration to clear out exhaust emissions. I didnt realize regeneration was required with the DEF systems.

My understanding is you can regenerate if you're driving down the highway but should probably pull over if you're in heavy stop and go driving to regenerate.

When it comes to checking to see the fluid level in the new macks it is pointless. You can't see into the tank to see how full it is so you have to rely on the gauge.

over9five

Staff member

That is basicly all true, except the big tank of cow urine is outside the Feedah office.

I had just gotten off the highway. Next time, I'll just hop back on!

Off topic but, Over I thought you went back to the dark side? (pkg. Car)
Shhh, nothing to see here, move along, move along...