New Unloader Low Back Injury Inquiry

I recently began working for UPS in North Dakota first as a Preloader, and then as an Unloader. This morning I hurt my back lifting a clutch that didn't have the requisite "team lift" sticker on it although it was 100 lbs. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was on the very bottom of the truck and it strained my back immensely. I immediately reported it to management who told me to go home and put some ice on it, and he would be contacting me later today. I never was contacted but have a pain that shoots down into my leg when I turn to the left. I need to call in that I won't be in for my 4 A.M. shift, and plan to go to the hospital in the morning at 8. I would appreciate any idea of what to expect from Management, as I will undoubtedly find out what is Medically diagnosed in the A.M. Am I expected to wait for the call from management before I can go to the hospital?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You did the right thing by reporting the injury immediately to your mgt team. Your mgt team dropped by the ball by sending you home without reporting the injury. They were hoping that ice and rest would relieve the strain----obviously it didn't. Call in this morning, get your injury evaluated and follow-up with your mgt team. I hope that you are feeling better really soon.

Thanks a bunch, I was told when I called in that I wouldn't be in that I had to wait for Management to call me (which they finally just did at 11 A.M.) before I could go see a Physician. That seemed odd to me, but I guess it will be addressed very soon. Again, thanks for the advice.

Am I being paranoid or does the provider that UPS sends you to have a vested interest in minimalizing the injury that you are being seen for? The Dr. said that I probably have nerves being pinched by one or more bulged discs, but then said I was ready to go back to work tomorrow with restrictions. I certainly don't want to question his medical judgement but I can barely get in and out of bed, and had thought nerve damage was a pretty serious issue. Has anybody had that type of injury and is this "par for the course" for this type of injury? Maybe I just thought it was more severe than it actually was.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I being paranoid or does the provider that UPS sends you to have a vested interest in minimalizing the injury that you are being seen for? The Dr. said that I probably have nerves being pinched by one or more bulged discs, but then said I was ready to go back to work tomorrow with restrictions. I certainly don't want to question his medical judgement but I can barely get in and out of bed, and had thought nerve damage was a pretty serious issue. Has anybody had that type of injury and is this "par for the course" for this type of injury? Maybe I just thought it was more severe than it actually was.

Yes, the company doctor has the company's interests in mind-----you have every right to get a second opinion.

I hate to keep bugging you but this is very important to me as I have kids to buy presents for and can't afford to lose my job even though I think my primary care physician would not agree at all with this diagnosis. What will UPS do if I do get a second opinion? Need I fear retaliation? (need I ask?) Stuck in a hard place. Appreciate any advice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hate to keep bugging you but this is very important to me as I have kids to buy presents for and can't afford to lose my job even though I think my primary care physician would not agree at all with this diagnosis. What will UPS do if I do get a second opinion? Need I fear retaliation? (need I ask?) Stuck in a hard place. Appreciate any advice.

UPS cannot retaliate against you for seeking a second opinion.

It sounds as though you live paycheck to paycheck. Take care of your bills first and then buy a few presents for the kids. They may be disappointed but they will understand. We have all been there. Good luck.

Ouch

New ups unloader. Please what ever you do please take my advice. Contact a lawyer before you do anything else. Please. I dont know you from Adam but I do know ups is not one of the most profitable companies in the world by giving stuff away.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
If you're not past the probationary for your region, don't expect to be kept on permanently. Although you did everything right, I'm putting it lightly when I say they don't like new employee injuries.