**NEW** Ups pension plan

bears2

Has anyone seen or read anything regardling this new plan that we left central states for? The rumor is It seems ups did the DOG AND PONY routine with the help of teamsters to undermine the pension plan.1ST of all they are taking new ups full-time jobs from other centers and relocating them to area where they will be in the new plan therefore weakening the other teamster plans and also they dont have recipricating language which will help most teamsters enjoy a much longer career having to work. I would just like to see for myself what the deal is.

drewed

Shankman
oh shut up
UPS did the right thing and bailed it out bc the teamsters drove it into the ground and it was and still is hemoraging money, it maybe not exactly what was originally planned out to be but a 6 billiion dollar bailout makes it a whole lot closer

bears2

oh shut up
UPS did the right thing and bailed it out bc the teamsters drove it into the ground and it was and still is hemoraging money, it maybe not exactly what was originally planned out to be but a 6 billiion dollar bailout makes it a whole lot closer

hey wisenheimer..pay attention. i never siad it was a bad thing ups "bailing" it out . what i said was that ups had a bigger plan. their plan was to buy the central states fund of which i was apart of .But what ups is doing is using it to break all the other funds.by making as many fulltime jobs as possible in the "central states" new plan amd not refilling them in the western conference etc.ups will have to fund their own plan an not the western etc.in time this will certainly break those funds.also if you were in the csf your are supposedly ok,theres a recipricating clause.but if you worked in western conference and now in "central states" your screwed.the new plan only recipricates with the csf an none of the rest.

tieguy

Banned
Has anyone seen or read anything regardling this new plan that we left central states for? The rumor is It seems ups did the DOG AND PONY routine with the help of teamsters to undermine the pension plan.1ST of all they are taking new ups full-time jobs from other centers and relocating them to area where they will be in the new plan therefore weakening the other teamster plans and also they dont have recipricating language which will help most teamsters enjoy a much longer career having to work. I would just like to see for myself what the deal is.

I don't see UPS relocating full time jobs just to move their people from one pension plan to another. Thats a pretty outrageous stretch of the imagination. You really do UPS and the teamsters a real disservice when you start spreading some wild rumors like this that should have stayed in whatever locker room you first heard it.

tieguy

Banned
hey wisenheimer..pay attention. i never siad it was a bad thing ups "bailing" it out . what i said was that ups had a bigger plan. their plan was to buy the central states fund of which i was apart of .But what ups is doing is using it to break all the other funds.by making as many fulltime jobs as possible in the "central states" new plan amd not refilling them in the western conference etc.ups will have to fund their own plan an not the western etc.in time this will certainly break those funds.also if you were in the csf your are supposedly ok,theres a recipricating clause.but if you worked in western conference and now in "central states" your screwed.the new plan only recipricates with the csf an none of the rest.

So following your logic UPS just decided they would move a thousand jobs from one area where they need them to another area where they don't need them just to set them up in a different pension plan?

upsdude

So following your logic UPS just decided they would move a thousand jobs from one area where they need them to another area where they don't need them just to set them up in a different pension plan?

I'll bet that's why I had to break route in Virginia today and run a split in Indiana!

Humm, it all makes sense now.

bears2

now i dont live and die by tdu,but they have some info thats helpful and i usually only use info that has fact attached.

Teamsters, UPS Confirm Company Attack on Full-Time Jobs

August 12, 2008: The Central States Pension giveback may fuel the full-time jobs takeaway at UPS.
The company chair of the Nor Cal UPS Grievance Panel told Teamster local officials at panel hearings that UPS would not be filling vacant Article 22.3 positions in Northern California locals and that the company would not fill future Article 22.3 positions in Nor Cal when they become vacant.
According to some sources, UPS wants to move as many full-time combo jobs to the Central and Southern Regions, where the company’s pension costs are greatly reduced because full-time UPS Teamsters are no longer covered by the Central States Pension Plan.
When the contract was being voted on, UPS Teamsters in the West were told that the Central States pension giveaway would not affect them. Was that wishful thinking?
The new UPS-Teamster pension plan in the Central States is a defined benefit plan, rather than a defined-contribution plan. As a result, UPS stands to save money if they can move full-time combo positions there.
However, Teamsters in the Central and Southern Regions, covered by the new plan do not report that new 22.3 jobs are being created. The UPS Full-Time Jobs Takeaway may just be a shell game.
Nor Cal Teamster Officials: “Protect Our 22.3 Jobs.”
In a letter dated Aug. 8, the head of the Teamsters Nor Cal Grievance Committee Marty Frates alerted all Nor Cal Teamster locals that, “UPS has made a decision in some areas to eliminate Article 22.3 jobs and is returning those employees to part-time status. In addition, UPS is not replacing vacant Article 22.3 jobs.”
The Teamster Nor Cal Committee has asked all locals to do an audit of the full-time 22.3 jobs in their local. Frates also wrote a letter to hall on the same day, requesting a copy of the report that UPS was required to submit to the International Union detailing and identifying the Article 22.3 jobs in Nor Cal that the company will maintain under Article 22.3 of the new contract.
UPS was required to submit that report to the International Union in February. To date, Teamster locals have not been provided with a copy, making it much more difficult to enforce the contract.
UPS was required to have created 20,000 full-time combo jobs nationwide by Aug. 1. The company is clearly in violation of this requirement. Stewards and members across the country report that all 2,500 new combo jobs due by Aug. 1 have not been created, and in some areas UPS is eliminating positions through layoffs and not filling all vacant positions.
International Union Needs To Take the Lead
The International Union needs to provide the list of 20,000 combo jobs to every UPS local and coordinate a national audit.
Our union needs to file a national grievance demanding that UPS immediately fill all vacant Article 22.3 positions and pay full back pay to members who were denied access to these jobs.
It will be much more difficult for UPS to move filled Article 22.3 jobs than empty ones. The International Union also needs to back local unions in their fight to maintain full-time job opportunities under Article 22.3 in all areas of the country.
The UPS contract only requires the company to maintain 20,000 full-time Article 22.3 positions nationally. Only a few exceptions exist where UPS is required to maintain a minimum number of positions in specific locals.
Louisville Local 89 has this language in their rider. Chicago Local 705, which is a separate agreement from the national contract, also has this language, and has 22.3 jobs over and above the 20,000.
Our International Union should work to secure agreements that UPS will not reduce Article 22.3 jobs in areas where those jobs are under attack.

FAVREFAN

Come on Tie....you've been around way long enough to know that UPS will do anything to save/make money. It's true, it's all over the net. In fact I think there is a big write up with specifics on TDU's web site right now. He didn't hear it in a locker room. It's reality.

wily_old_vet

Let's see. I work in a hub in California which needs 22.3 positions. But UPS won't create that position where it's needed to create it somewhere where it's not. Is that the gist of what I'm reading here. Or are we talking about the total number of 22.3 positions created nationwide under the last contract.

J

Jon Frum

"According to some sources"?????

Would that be the TDU guy who wrote the article?

hangin455

Seems like alot is being made about this just cause TDU said so. I seem to recall them being against a bailout to begin with.

bears2

Let's see. I work in a hub in California which needs 22.3 positions. But UPS won't create that position where it's needed to create it somewhere where it's not. Is that the gist of what I'm reading here. Or are we talking about the total number of 22.3 positions created nationwide under the last contract.

i could be a little off but i think ups has to mae a certain amount of 22.3 jobs an keep a certain amount but louisville an i think chicago are the only 2 hubs where those jobs are guaranteed.so other areas could be the hubs in jeopardy.

as far as it coming from tdu an it must be true sarcastic remark...like i said before i know tdu has their own agenda but they do relay alotta important facts that are hard to just google.and if your smart enuff to read through the proaganda an just look at facts you will see that this issue is a fact.

and as far as tdu being against the bailout to begin with? yes they were against it and they still are.thats the point. there was a bailout and now its effecting all temaster pension plans.
i wish some people would have a open mind instead of just attacking.plus try reading some articles instead of ..ups is great,teamsters is bad outlook

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The muiti-billion dollar bailout was not done out of the kindness of UPS's heart. :peaceful:

Obviously anyone can say whatever they.
It seems reasonable that UPS did it for enlightened self interest but also in a sense of responsibility to the UPSers covered under the Central States pension.

J

JonFrum

"According to some sources"?????

Would that be the TDU guy who wrote the article?

FOR THE RECORD:
Post #11 above is not mine. I'm JonFrum. He's Jon Frum. This has happened before. It will probably happen again.

J

JonFrum

Register Jon, that would help

No it won't. No matter what name I choose, anyone could still post under any of a dozen variations of it, and few, if any, would notice unless I called attention to it. The same could happen to you. Like I said, we've gone through this before, several times, and I've explained how registering won't solve the problem several times as well.

The root cause of the problem is that Tieguy has made me an issue ever since I started posting in 2006. He's taken several non-issues, inflated them in his mind, and made them into an ongoing obsession. He stirs the pot with falsehoods, cheapshots, hijacks threads, and baits people like a Trol. He shows no sign of stopping. Apparently, he has the run of the place. Posting rules don't seem to apply to him. Indeed, he's the most highly ranked poster!!!

Whenever Tieguy launches another series of posts aimed at me, things start to happen. It's very predictible. Besides, Red705, to pick one example, registered early on. And look how unfairly he's treated. Registering hasn't helped him any.

Cheryl has said in the past that posting under an almost identical name is wrong, and she has tried to stop it, but it's hard to catch someone if they cover their tracks.

bears2

i dont see how some of you dont see whats going on here.Yes i copied it from tdu but google the same subject an it will popup under other news sites.

What ups is doing is this.For instance,ups isnt required to make 22.3 jobs in every district. They are required to make sure they ahve a certain number nationwide though.So why would they make 1 in the western region,where they have to pay into the teamster pension fund when they can make one in the central state region and pay into their own fund? Makes 100% sense to me. Make enough of them an they start taking away from western regions pension fund to the point it starts hurting. In time western region is hurting an next contract ups buys them out to. Orchestrated attempt of buying every pension fund in my opinion.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
How very well thought out. However, it does seem to be a bit of a conspiracy theory right now until the union finds out where all of the jobs end up. If they can prove that the jobs are ending up in the Central States funded area, then legal action can be taken. Maybe we should all bring this up with our union BA's and see what they come up with.