New Vehicles..Where's the Green?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have heard that FedEx is trying out the new high-roof Nissan cargo van in some stations. I've also heard it doesn't have a bulkhead door....smart. Maybe the engineers should have consulted with couriers before they bought them equipped that way. Another case of not going to the people who actually do the job and asking the right questions. Where are the "new generation" hybrids and electrics? Nowhere to be found. Lots of new Sprinters too, but these aren't very green either. So, where is all that investment into a "sustainable" FedEx?

More PR hype with zero substance.

bbsam

Staff member
The Sprinters weigh less, use smaller drive trains, and get better mileage. How is that not "more green" put another way, if everything in the country became just 5% more efficient, think of the environmental impact. We don't have to all drive sola/nuclear/hydrogen vehicles to make efficiency happen.

vantexan

The latest "Truck Trend" issue has a truck of the year competition. They included the Nissan NV and noted that it had terrible mileage. Don't remember the exact number but it was like 11 or 12 mpg. Dodge Ram has the Fiat Doblo cargo van coming over for 2013. Like the Sprinter it's a diesel but is smaller with great mpg. 50+ mpg in Europe with a manual, but supposed to only be an automatic here. It's a workhorse though and has won vehicle of the year honors over there. Even if it only does mid-30's here it would be perfect for extended rts and make FedEx actually look greener.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Sprinters weigh less, use smaller drive trains, and get better mileage. How is that not "more green" put another way, if everything in the country became just 5% more efficient, think of the environmental impact. We don't have to all drive sola/nuclear/hydrogen vehicles to make efficiency happen.

No, we don't. But FedEx is claiming sustainability,not efficiency. So, in order to live up to their PR hype, they do need to buy some solar/nuclear/hydrogen vehicles. If they could buy one that runs on management lies, their net energy costs would be zero.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I watched front line today. 0202 I think.
It was the first time I saw the ad with the cartoon characters in the forest and all the "green" things FDX is doing.
I laughed out loud at how stupid that ad was.

xfdxgroundmgmt

Maybe Fedex can put as much freight or Rails like Big Brown, that would take alot of linehaul off the road, as well as slow down service. Sounds Good to you I bet?

franknitty

What my station should do is purchase around 15 of those new vehicles, and line them all up and park them in the rear parking, like they did with those 25 rental trucks that they had during the peak season that never got used because the xmas volume was at an all time low at my station !