New Video! Is our contract needlessly COMPLEX?

AKCoverMan

All my previous union jobs were at airlines and we all worked under a single contract within the airline. I found the array of different agreements dizzying at first, and all this time in I’m still learning details of our contract.

Something I’m learning is that it can be difficult to “clean up” contract language that gets outdated because opening a particular article up to amendment might burn up negotiation chips elsewhere. It’s a tedious process.

Hofficer Hater

I did not know that about the master and local contracts either.

Thanks for sharing
There are others that have made a contribution to educating UPS members about their own history and those who have tried to pass such information as their own.

Outside the Box

There are others that have made a contribution to educating UPS members about their own history and those who have tried to pass such information as their own.

Outside the Box

I knew about master and local contracts

I did not know that there was always not a master contract.
That was a little bit before my time starting here

rod

Retired 22 years
I knew about master and local contracts

I did not know that there was always not a master contract.
That was a little bit before my time starting here
For my first years at UPS we just went along with what the National Freight Contract was. If they got more vacation then we did-if they got a buck more a year we did too. All we really voted on was if we agreed with the National Frieght Contract language.

rod

Retired 22 years
This is a very interesting video. I explains why just because something is done one way in say NJ it don't mean it is done that way in Ca. or Mn.

AKCoverMan

Kinds parallels the expansion as UPS won Common Carrier and Interstate authority everywhere. Lotta people dont remember a time when UPS could not ship everywhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
Kinds parallels the expansion as UPS won Common Carrier and Interstate authority everywhere. Lotta people dont remember a time when UPS could not ship everywhere.
When I first started UPS didn't even operate in any state west of the Mississippi except the 3 west coast states.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Before commenting.... I thought I should watch the video.

Your guest was correct on all his points. I can appreciate the willingness to share that.

But, seriously ?

Muscle up and show your contract books ?

I can go back to 1968....

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You should digitilized those. There are online libraries now.

RoswellHub

Before commenting.... I thought I should watch the video.

Your guest was correct on all his points. I can appreciate the willingness to share that.

But, seriously ?

Muscle up and show your contract books ?

I can go back to 1968....

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
We can have a flexing of Contract books if you really want!