New Years Eve

DorkHead

They are not hurting for drivers for NYE. They have to offer the work to the senior drivers, then force from the bottom up till they have enough to fill the plan.

opie

Part time air drivers have to be asked to come in before they make full timers? I think there's usually enough volunteers from PT & FT, that they never force people in. Though I don't know how they can actually "force" someone to work if they can't or don't want to lol.

AKCoverMan

Heck I am working.. it's an easy day and all time and a half plus the eight hour holiday pay. Usually a code five day unless you want to wash cars when you get back to the center.

But I am sure to be off by 1700.. then off to hockey. Eat your hearts out NHL cities, we are playing pro hockey in Anchorage! :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are not hurting for drivers for NYE. They have to offer the work to the senior drivers, then force from the bottom up till they have enough to fill the plan.

Our center manager stated that NYE is an air operation day and as such has forced from the bottom up and not allowed FT volunteers.

Notretiredyet

I'm working, we get double time for hrs worked along with paid holiday. Surprised they didn't go the air driver route with us, if they worked them all they wouldn't need me. But have a feeling they may have a dump stop that's open along with the premium pkgs. Have a couple of large just in time warehouses that run 24/7 that get delivered by special arrangement on these days. It's a easy day, I'm in.

opie

Not all air drivers are coming in. There may be no shows as well. So they would rather pay a FTer double time instead of having undelivered or late air.

DorkHead

Our center manager stated that NYE is an air operation day and as such has forced from the bottom up and not allowed FT volunteers.

Then that is your center manager making that decision which does not seem right. All us top seniority drivers were offered the work. Most declined so they could have a 4 day weekend.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
A Volunteer sheet for 17 drivers was available,and if it wasn't filled it would be forced from the bottom up. After 4 weeks of 55-60 hours I'm more interested in NOT working

opie

My question is how can they "force" someone to work? I can see them getting lower senority FTers, and maybe give them a warning letter if they don't show. But the PTers, especially those who normally don't work for UPS during the morning/day, and some may only drive occasionally or just on Saturdays. I don't see a way they can force them, especially if their main job is on the inside. Most of our PT air drivers work early AM and a handful do PM air pickups and others just work Saturdays.