Newb question on preload

BananaCat

I hate to be "that guy" and complain about management. I'm just concerned for the welfare of our little operation. Just wanted to see if it's like this at every facility.

When I first started working pre-load during peak last year, I was amazed at the turnover. Yes I knew turnover would be high but didn't realize how bad. We hired over 20 new preloaders and only 2 stayed including myself. One guy asked our pt sup to cover him for a "quick bathroom break" and he never returned lmao. Another guy that worked there for 5 years on preload was given a hard time by the regional manager. She was showing him how to "optimum carry" and "work the belt" and other crap that he clearly knew how to do better than the boss. He ended up saying eff it and quit that day.

I started off with 3 trucks but quickly moved up to 4. Lately we've been really short staffed and I'm doing 5 trucks or 4 + a trailer but I can keep up okay even though its the big bulk routes. Looks like it's going to be this way for at least a few weeks but who knows if we have more people quit. Hopefully they don't start putting me on 6 trucks :(

Our regional manager caught me falling a little behind and having a few packages fall off the belt/rollers. So she told our pt sup to show me how to optimum carry and "train me" to be faster. I felt a little insulted since every single package coming down the belt was over 40lbs. I tried optimum carry and wound up crushed boxes... Then later on I get yelled at for optimum carrying too much because I couldn't see where I was going...

The regional manager is despised by everyone at our facility. I don't really have a problem with her personally but I see how she treats everyone like crap. Every time she visits she leaves a wake of bodies that quit. I feel bad for our sups because I know they get a lot of pressure from the her. The FT sup that does all the dispatching is ready to retire any day but nobody wants to take his spot. If they hire the wrong person off the street it will be a disaster.

Anyways, the manager is so focused on numbers like all the managers everywhere I presume. She chases us out when we're trying to wrap up our trucks at the end of the day and threatens to write us up if we take too long. She wants most of us to leave early and only have a couple preloaders wrapping up everybody's truck to get people off the clock... Yesterday I had all my trucks just about wrapped up with 0 misloads. I took a little longer because I got a lot more air packages than any of the other areas and had her breathing down my neck to get off the clock. So it turned out I had 2 misloads out of the last 5 huge irregular packages I loaded. Now I'm being threatened with write ups for misloads. /slit wrists

She wants to switch us to a bluetooth beeping system to cut down on misloads sometime this year. I can't imagine keeping up on the belt if I gotta scan every damn package. It's gonna slow us way down and I imagine it turning into a clusterfuk on the belt...

I hate throwing in the towel, but the way our facility is going I think I should be looking for a new job... am I just being a pusillanimous and it's this messed up everywhere?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I hate to be "that guy" and complain about management. I'm just concerned for the welfare of our little operation. Just wanted to see if it's like this at every facility.

When I first started working pre-load during peak last year, I was amazed at the turnover. Yes I knew turnover would be high but didn't realize how bad. We hired over 20 new preloaders and only 2 stayed including myself. One guy asked our pt sup to cover him for a "quick bathroom break" and he never returned lmao. Another guy that worked there for 5 years on preload was given a hard time by the regional manager. She was showing him how to "optimum carry" and "work the belt" and other crap that he clearly knew how to do better than the boss. He ended up saying eff it and quit that day.

I started off with 3 trucks but quickly moved up to 4. Lately we've been really short staffed and I'm doing 5 trucks or 4 + a trailer but I can keep up okay even though its the big bulk routes. Looks like it's going to be this way for at least a few weeks but who knows if we have more people quit. Hopefully they don't start putting me on 6 trucks :(

Our regional manager caught me falling a little behind and having a few packages fall off the belt/rollers. So she told our pt sup to show me how to optimum carry and "train me" to be faster. I felt a little insulted since every single package coming down the belt was over 40lbs. I tried optimum carry and wound up crushed boxes... Then later on I get yelled at for optimum carrying too much because I couldn't see where I was going...

The regional manager is despised by everyone at our facility. I don't really have a problem with her personally but I see how she treats everyone like crap. Every time she visits she leaves a wake of bodies that quit. I feel bad for our sups because I know they get a lot of pressure from the her. The FT sup that does all the dispatching is ready to retire any day but nobody wants to take his spot. If they hire the wrong person off the street it will be a disaster.

Anyways, the manager is so focused on numbers like all the managers everywhere I presume. She chases us out when we're trying to wrap up our trucks at the end of the day and threatens to write us up if we take too long. She wants most of us to leave early and only have a couple preloaders wrapping up everybody's truck to get people off the clock... Yesterday I had all my trucks just about wrapped up with 0 misloads. I took a little longer because I got a lot more air packages than any of the other areas and had her breathing down my neck to get off the clock. So it turned out I had 2 misloads out of the last 5 huge irregular packages I loaded. Now I'm being threatened with write ups for misloads. /slit wrists

She wants to switch us to a bluetooth beeping system to cut down on misloads sometime this year. I can't imagine keeping up on the belt if I gotta scan every damn package. It's gonna slow us way down and I imagine it turning into a clusterfuk on the belt...

I hate throwing in the towel, but the way our facility is going I think I should be looking for a new job... am I just being a pusillanimous and it's this messed up everywhere?
TLDR