Newbie Express Canada driver

fedx.drivr

Hi everyone. I just got hired as a "casual courier" up here in canada at fedex express. I am very excited about the position, but am curious to find out what im in for. I would like to know how many hours to expect, and how long it should take to get permenent part time. Anyone on here from Canada who could help a newbie out?
Thanks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hi everyone. I just got hired as a "casual courier" up here in canada at fedex express. I am very excited about the position, but am curious to find out what im in for. I would like to know how many hours to expect, and how long it should take to get permenent part time. Anyone on here from Canada who could help a newbie out?
Thanks

Canada is a very different animal from US Express.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
They've pretty much done away with casuals here in the states (I think.) Lost some good people in the process too. Leave it to upper management to eff things up.

Anyway as a casual, you've got your foot in the door, but they'll more than likely treat you as a swing driver or whatever suits their advantage.

Good luck to 'ya!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks

Here's what I know about FedEx Canada. One, they get paid more than in the US, and top-out faster. Two, Canada is very protective of labour in comparison to the US. Companies that have gone the way of the dodo still survive in Canada. Think Consolidated Freightways and Purolator, both long gone here. Three, FedEx doesn't want US employees to know that Canadian employees get a better deal overall, because there is no Railway Labor Act in Canada, and Fred doesn't want a unionized Canadian operation. Four, Canadian beer is way better than the Us stuff.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx doesn't want US employees to know that Canadian employees get a better deal overall, because there is no Railway Labor Act in Canada, and Fred doesn't want a unionized Canadian operation.

And it's much harder for Fred to pay off Canadian politicians.

fedx.drivr

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your perspective from north of the border.

Thanks. My orientation is on Thursday, and I have no idea what to expect after that. From what I`ve read on this forum, it sounds like I have to go to "courier school", whatever that is, then start on job training.

Have most of you guys(and gals) started at express as casual drivers? It seems like here in Toronto they don't hire PTers off the street, you have to start as a a casual. I really hope I can get bumped up to PT quickly.

Thanks for the welcomes here, and I will let you know how things work here as I find out.

overflowed

Thanks. My orientation is on Thursday, and I have no idea what to expect after that. From what I`ve read on this forum, it sounds like I have to go to "courier school", whatever that is, then start on job training.

Have most of you guys(and gals) started at express as casual drivers? It seems like here in Toronto they don't hire PTers off the street, you have to start as a a casual. I really hope I can get bumped up to PT quickly.

Thanks for the welcomes here, and I will let you know how things work here as I find out.
Is the position non union?