Newbie Preloader

barnyard

KTM rider
Barnyard: I am still learning how all of this works. I'm 40 and taking-up another part-time job is a little bit taxing. Some of you may be BIG and macho and work pre-load and then go on to driver' helper and THEN start the next days shift with zero sleep in between but I am not one of them. That's for you diehards.

Not that unusual.

I started PT at UPS when I was 32. I worked 2 jobs and sometimes 3 during my entire PT career. Now that I am FT, even though the money is good, I really think I should have looked at another FT gig. Working at UPS is not for older dudes. I will be 49 next year and will probably not be able to work long enough to qualify for any retirement benefits. It is hella hard to find another FT gig when you are closer to 50 than 40.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You started in May and you already have benifits? How did you swing this??
Not every local is bound to the ntl contract language regarding 1 year w/out benefits and the language clarifies this, too. All employer provided programs went to 1 year? and union provided ones stayed the same as the past contract and practices.

Our particular local remained 4 months until benefits "kick in"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By the way... I am not trolling. This is not to pick a fight with anyone.

I just walked-in from the outside and have made a few observations. If some of you have been with the company so long that you don't remember what it's like to start-out afresh then may be you could use listening to what ME the "outsider" has to say about it coming from a fresh(non-UPS) state of mind. I just paid $350 for my union initiation fee's. Did any of YOU pay that much? No. You didn't. The last 6 months have been spent trying to come-up with the gas to get to work after what little bills I do have. All I asked is... is this company worth it?

By some of the responses... it isn't looking favorable. Prove me wrong... seniority people. Give me reasons. Tell me why you've stayed.
If you need the benefits and are settled into a FT job w/out them, UPS is worth it. Otherwise, hang out for a friend/T job, put your letter in (management), or maybe consider something else.

jmha

the partime wage hasnt kept up with the rest of the world.. when i started (when people had big poofie hair) the starting wage at our hub was 8 bucks an hr minimum wage was 3.35 now the starting wage is 8.50 and minimum wage is 7.25...just think of all that money u are saving on a gym membership!!! you should take a paycut for these benefits..LOL!!!!!!!!