Newbie with a ?

cwing81

Hello everyone! I figured I'd post this in general, but if it needs to be moved, so be it.

My questions are, how difficult is it to get employment with UPS? I live in the Denver area. Does everyone start out part-time?

What is the pay like?

What is the work like?

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm a poster on several different boards and ran across this one in my search for answers. In my experience, forum communities are usually pretty decent. ;)

SWORDFISH

99% of the time you start out p/t. The pay is around $9/hr depending on what you do. You get full bennys after a year. Plan on working for up to 10 years before you get full time but you could get really lucky and make it in 2 or 3. The work is very physicall and you have to be mentally tough. The environment is very negative and thankless. You should go to ups.com to get an application.:peaceful:

22.34life

99% of the time you start out p/t. The pay is around $9/hr depending on what you do. You get full bennys after a year. Plan on working for up to 10 years before you get full time but you could get really lucky and make it in 2 or 3. The work is very physicall and you have to be mentally tough. The environment is very negative and thankless. You should go to ups.com to get an application.:peaceful:

this post should be on the website it would really encourage people to work for ups,lol

Babagounj

Strength through joy

The other 1% means you could be hired as a causal ( temporary ) driver, either for summer help ( to cover vacationing drivers ) or during Oct-Dec to help with our peak holiday volume increases. Expect long hours with a lot of stress and very little moral support from your management staff.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The work is HARD! We have gone through 2 newbies in just the last week. The last one RAN out of the trailer, crossed a live belt, and ran for his car. His Daddy brought him back about 15 mins later, but the deed was done-- He lasted 4 days

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Getting the job is the easy part. The work is arduous and dirty, the environment is loud and obnoxious, the pay is awful, management are most of the time difficult to get along with and sometimes psychopathic and under the influence, and the benefits which were once great have been cut back and will probably continue in the future. Overall, a great place to work, UPS. Join the team.

Magnus

To put it all another way, in the interview and tour process of application the hiring manager tries to DISCOURAGE you from taking the job. They point out ALL of the crappy, bad things about it – comprising of the entire interview and tour lecture, and then they say “I’m going for a 5 minute break, during this time anybody who wants to LEAVE can do so, and should do so – we’re not going to look”. For the rest naive enough to stick around by the time the H/R manager gets back after hearing the horrors of the job (and after a joke of “so did we lose any?”), then begins the actual interview process… they’ll get your information, send you packing back home and give you a call IF you’re invited back for the Orientation and hiring process.

Basically, if you DON’T HAVE TO work at UPS and you KNOW you’re going to hate it by what the H/R manager says in that lecture (which the job is actually much, much worse than they even dare to say and for piss poor money to start out with, and not only that you’ve got to pay nearly $500 a year JUST to work there in the first place), then it’s not the right job for you and you SHOULDN’T try to work here. UPS is a cutthroat company… they SAY they want one thing from you, when they really want another; the “unspoken rules”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of the crazy ones who actually LIKES the grueling work and being pushed to my limits physically, intellectually and emotionally (you’re going to take a LOT of crap from management if you do work for UPS – deserved or not, and it IS really emotionally draining especially when you’re about to drop dead of fatigue every moment). However, if I had a choice for a different job – any other job, I would go there FIRST. But because I don’t, and UPS is the only work I’ve been able to get on and off during Peak, and because of that I have top priority over street hires, it’s my only option and I have to do it whether I like it or not (which fortunately for me, I do).

So really, the only way you’re going to get a real taste for what the job is and if you’ll like it or not, is to actually go and try it out - go and be a Seasonal PKG Caper (Driver Helper or Package Handler) and test it out for yourself. Most people quit the very first day, some last a week, others last a month and the rest (less than half of the original group) manage it through to the end. What you experience during Peak is pretty much what it will be like for you until you build up some seniority and “move up the latter” after a few or many YEARS of working your body down every single day and so if you can’t handle Peak, you can’t handle UPS – period. Then you’ll have your answer, with the experience to back that choice up.

And what I said, about most people not making it during Peak, is true – but there’s also another side, when you’re doing the work permanently… a lot of people put in a few years and get rundown and fed up and give it all up (the chance of reaching the cushy places) by quitting too soon. So unless you want to waste a few years and break your body down for nothing do yourself a favor and make sure this is the kind of job and environment you really want to be in every work week of your life for the next 30 odd years by actually trying it out at Peak for a couple months.

To address your specific questions:

I have been waiting for TWO YEARS to be hired “inside” UPS, as a real employee after having gone through TWO “UPS Hell weeks” (i.e. Peak Seasons). I’ve only just found ONE opening in ONE center within a 50 mile radius, and the ONLY reason I will be hired is BECAUSE I put in those two Peaks with top numbers and have sterling recommendations by both drivers and managers. If you’re trying to get in off of the street, it is VERY difficult right now and even if you DID get hired, you can and likely will be laid off at any time when the economy takes a dump (and it WILL be taking another dump when massive inflation kicks in thanks to Obama’s out of control spending and generating of debt.

The beginning pay (in CA) is $8.50 an hour, and you can expect anywhere from 1 to 4 hours of work – 6 if you get lucky. You’ll only make around $170 a week. $30 - $40 deducted for taxes, $19 sucked out every month for Union, whatever gas is, and what you’re looking at to be left with is anywhere from $25 to $70 (if you have other living expenses ). They call it “peanut butter and jelly” money – and it’s true. On top of this, you have to pay almost $500 a year (which is sucked out of your first checks) for Union membership fees – and this is MANDATORY and in ADDITION to the $19 every month for the same. You WILL NOT be being paid decently at all, when it’s all said and done (but it gets marginally better the more time you put in – you will make $10 an hour after the first year).

The work is had, dirty and FAST and mostly unsafe because in order to meet management’s highly unrealistic and humanly impossible expectations, you have to pretty much break every single “safety” rule to get the job done within the time limits. You are expected to get a package from point A to point B in 5 seconds or less, with 2 seconds to make a decision on where that package goes – you’re expected to clear out or to full up THREE feeder trailers full of packages per shift. That’s about 50,000 packages a week (10,000 per shift) – and that’s just part time (100,000 packages a week, or 2,000 packages a shift for full time).

As they say, this job isn’t for everybody – but somebody’s got to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Magnus, the HR reps have doing this for a long time and they know what they are doing. They also have come to realize that today's kids don't want to work. This is the Age of Entitlement and kids today want everything handed to them. This is why they describe the job they way they do so that they don't have to waste their time processing applications for someone who won't even last a week.

I was hired off the street as a driver back in'89 so never worked on the inside but have gained an appreciation for just how hard these kids work for the peanuts they are paid.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
To put it all another way, in the interview and tour process of application the hiring manager tries to DISCOURAGE you from taking the job. They point out ALL of the crappy, bad things about it – comprising of the entire interview and tour lecture, and then they say “I’m going for a 5 minute break, during this time anybody who wants to LEAVE can do so, and should do so – we’re not going to look”. For the rest naive enough to stick around by the time the H/R manager gets back after hearing the horrors of the job (and after a joke of “so did we lose any?”), then begins the actual interview process… they’ll get your information, send you packing back home and give you a call IF you’re invited back for the Orientation and hiring process.

Basically, if you DON’T HAVE TO work at UPS and you KNOW you’re going to hate it by what the H/R manager says in that lecture (which the job is actually much, much worse than they even dare to say and for piss poor money to start out with, and not only that you’ve got to pay nearly $500 a year JUST to work there in the first place), then it’s not the right job for you and you SHOULDN’T try to work here. UPS is a cutthroat company… they SAY they want one thing from you, when they really want another; the “unspoken rules”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of the crazy ones who actually LIKES the grueling work and being pushed to my limits physically, intellectually and emotionally (you’re going to take a LOT of crap from management if you do work for UPS – deserved or not, and it IS really emotionally draining especially when you’re about to drop dead of fatigue every moment). However, if I had a choice for a different job – any other job, I would go there FIRST. But because I don’t, and UPS is the only work I’ve been able to get on and off during Peak, and because of that I have top priority over street hires, it’s my only option and I have to do it whether I like it or not (which fortunately for me, I do).

So really, the only way you’re going to get a real taste for what the job is and if you’ll like it or not, is to actually go and try it out - go and be a Seasonal PKG Caper (Driver Helper or Package Handler) and test it out for yourself. Most people quit the very first day, some last a week, others last a month and the rest (less than half of the original group) manage it through to the end. What you experience during Peak is pretty much what it will be like for you until you build up some seniority and “move up the latter” after a few or many YEARS of working your body down every single day and so if you can’t handle Peak, you can’t handle UPS – period. Then you’ll have your answer, with the experience to back that choice up.

And what I said, about most people not making it during Peak, is true – but there’s also another side, when you’re doing the work permanently… a lot of people put in a few years and get rundown and fed up and give it all up (the chance of reaching the cushy places) by quitting too soon. So unless you want to waste a few years and break your body down for nothing do yourself a favor and make sure this is the kind of job and environment you really want to be in every work week of your life for the next 30 odd years by actually trying it out at Peak for a couple months.

To address your specific questions:

I have been waiting for TWO YEARS to be hired “inside” UPS, as a real employee after having gone through TWO “UPS Hell weeks” (i.e. Peak Seasons). I’ve only just found ONE opening in ONE center within a 50 mile radius, and the ONLY reason I will be hired is BECAUSE I put in those two Peaks with top numbers and have sterling recommendations by both drivers and managers. If you’re trying to get in off of the street, it is VERY difficult right now and even if you DID get hired, you can and likely will be laid off at any time when the economy takes a dump (and it WILL be taking another dump when massive inflation kicks in thanks to Obama’s out of control spending and generating of debt.

The beginning pay (in CA) is $8.50 an hour, and you can expect anywhere from 1 to 4 hours of work – 6 if you get lucky. You’ll only make around $170 a week. $30 - $40 deducted for taxes, $19 sucked out every month for Union, whatever gas is, and what you’re looking at to be left with is anywhere from $25 to $70 (if you have other living expenses ). They call it “peanut butter and jelly” money – and it’s true. On top of this, you have to pay almost $500 a year (which is sucked out of your first checks) for Union membership fees – and this is MANDATORY and in ADDITION to the $19 every month for the same. You WILL NOT be being paid decently at all, when it’s all said and done (but it gets marginally better the more time you put in – you will make $10 an hour after the first year).

The work is had, dirty and FAST and mostly unsafe because in order to meet management’s highly unrealistic and humanly impossible expectations, you have to pretty much break every single “safety” rule to get the job done within the time limits. You are expected to get a package from point A to point B in 5 seconds or less, with 2 seconds to make a decision on where that package goes – you’re expected to clear out or to full up THREE feeder trailers full of packages per shift. That’s about 50,000 packages a week (10,000 per shift) – and that’s just part time (100,000 packages a week, or 2,000 packages a shift for full time).

As they say, this job isn’t for everybody – but somebody’s got to do it.

+1

That is quite honestly and openly the best accounting of the perils of UPS employment.

22.34life

This job is not for everbody,you have to be mentally and physically strong and a little athletic.I came here because i knew my choices were limited and i could make a good living here someday,i had a long term goal you have to be ready to invest years here to get a ft job and start to make money.

UPSGUY72

Hello everyone! I figured I'd post this in general, but if it needs to be moved, so be it.

My questions are, how difficult is it to get employment with UPS? I live in the Denver area. Does everyone start out part-time?

Getting employed isn't that hard just go to www.upsjobs.com and check your area to see if application are being accepted.

What is the pay like ?

For PT starts low around $9.00 but you get raises twice a year. FT driver make about $30 hr after they complete there progression.

What is the work like?

It all depends on what position they assign you to. It really not hard work it is just that you are doing the same thing over and over at a constant pace.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm a poster on several different boards and ran across this one in my search for answers. In my experience, forum communities are usually pretty decent. ;)

Magnus

Magnus, the HR reps have doing this for a long time and they know what they are doing. They also have come to realize that today's kids don't want to work. This is the Age of Entitlement and kids today want everything handed to them. This is why they describe the job they way they do so that they don't have to waste their time processing applications for someone who won't even last a week.

I was hired off the street as a driver back in'89 so never worked on the inside but have gained an appreciation for just how hard these kids work for the peanuts they are paid.
Indeed, and I was just passing the message along. If I hadn't prepared myself for those Peaks BEFORE I actually started, I would have been one of the ones who quit but I didn't because I actually listened to the warnings given by Management about the perils of the job and started training to condition my body the same day. Most people don't get told what the job is really like before they actually get in there, so I was trying to help this dude out AND save management a hassle for if/when this person up and leaves (because of not hearing it straight). These days, only people with no financial needs and who still live with their moms can make it through the crap parts of being a baby at UPS (metaphorically speaking).

+1

That is quite honestly and openly the best accounting of the perils of UPS employment.
Thanks for the rep, I did make a mistake though - I said for FT it's 2,000 packages a shift when I meant 20,000+ lol.