Lawrence

Good evening all,

I have my initial driving test this week, after completing the background check and DOT physical exam for the seasonal package delivery position. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what the course is like. Will I be parallel and reverse parking the package car or would that be something to expect while at the week long training in Landover, MD. I have driven manual transimission GMC delivery trucks but its been years ago. I rented a manual delivery truck today (no power steering) to brush up on everything and get the feel back. Thanks very much. I am very excited at the chance to pursue a career with UPS. I know there is alot of hard work ahead. THanks

helenofcalifornia

Definitely no parallel parking. Boy you had me laughing there with that one. I would love to see a driver parallel park one of these trucks. I never went to one of those schools, but I am sure you will get much advice from those that have. Good luck, you seem to have the right attitude.

Parallel parking!!! You are too funny.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You will have to go on the street and of course back into several docks. Little advice back to the drivers side and beep your horn every 2 to 3 seconds checking your mirrors and rear view camera every 2 to 3 seconds also.

Keep your truck centered in the lane, look about a block down this will help centering you. Good luck.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Definitely no parallel parking. Boy you had me laughing there with that one. I would love to see a driver parallel park one of these trucks. I never went to one of those schools, but I am sure you will get much advice from those that have. Good luck, you seem to have the right attitude.

Never done that, eh? Of course i drive a P7 so it's a little easier than those big beast.

chev

Nightcrawler

:dissapointed:I do it in a feeder.

Welcome to BC Lawrence. :wink2: Good luck.

helenofcalifornia

D*mn, you guys are tough! We have been told to double park, not parallel park. And to parallel park a feeder? It scares me to even think about that. Great driving guys!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Definitely no parallel parking. Boy you had me laughing there with that one. I would love to see a driver parallel park one of these trucks. I never went to one of those schools, but I am sure you will get much advice from those that have. Good luck, you seem to have the right attitude. Parallel parking!!! You are too funny.

Helen, call me funny, but I have, on occasion, had to parallel park my P-1000. Granted it was in to 2 parking spaces but the vehicle in the back space was too large (truck) to allow me to simply drive in to the spaces so I pulled up to the first vehicle and parallel parked. This is where the cameras really help as well as the mirrors. It really wasn't that big of a deal.

over9five

Staff member
To get your CDL in Mass, you have to be able to parallel park your tractor trailer BOTH ways (drivers side & blind side). You can get out and look 3 times. If any part of the unit goes over any line, you fail. You can only move it each way 3 times while getting into the box.

The test shows that you know what you're doing.

Lawrence

Good evening, I just wanted to let you know that I passed the road exam this morning! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pointers. Now I must complete and the online exams and then off to school in Landover, Md.