Newly Hired - Questions

JoeR

I have just been hired by UPS. I passed the DOT physical and all of the background, payroll information. I have been designated as for the position of LOAD/UNLOAD PM. Tomorrow, Monday, is my first day for this new job. I have been told to come in at 11am to begin a Road test.

Can anyone tell me what this will involve and how I am supposed to dress for this? What does this involve and how long does it take? I can drive a stick with no problem but am curious as to what lies in front of me. I know it takes a long while to become a driver by why go through the process now?

No one said anything and trying to get questions answered has been tough.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

chris9834

Just come casual I wore basketball shorts and tennis shoes and a white shirt lol...all they are looking for is to make sure you can drive a stick...my advise is pay attention to the shift pattern on the car when the instructor takes the car out to the area in which you will drive. I learned in a early 90s no power steering 4 speed, some are 5.. usually alot of drivers start out in second because of the granny gear band is short....MAKE SURE YOU USE 1ST on road test. And just use common sense they have seen bad drivers so as long as you follow traffic laws and shift without making the instructor hit his head on bulk head door or accident you will be fine...they are not going to tell you to do it but at every traffic light and even stops signs where you are waiting for traffic 2 clear pull the ebrake up. im assuming its the same everywhere but its 130 demerits and over is fail so imo you can be a pretty bad driver and pass. You will see in school when you go on a road test with other drivers that there are way worst and you may loose a heart beat everyonce in awhile lol...if your not used 2 driving vehicles of equivent size MAKE SURE YOU ARE AIMING HIGH IN STEERING it will center car in traffic lane...good luck.

JoeR

Just come casual I wore basketball shorts and tennis shoes and a white shirt lol...all they are looking for is to make sure you can drive a stick...my advise is pay attention to the shift pattern on the car when the instructor takes the car out to the area in which you will drive. I learned in a early 90s no power steering 4 speed, some are 5.. usually alot of drivers start out in second because of the granny gear band is short....MAKE SURE YOU USE 1ST on road test. And just use common sense they have seen bad drivers so as long as you follow traffic laws and shift without making the instructor hit his head on bulk head door or accident you will be fine...they are not going to tell you to do it but at every traffic light and even stops signs where you are waiting for traffic 2 clear pull the ebrake up. im assuming its the same everywhere but its 130 demerits and over is fail so imo you can be a pretty bad driver and pass. You will see in school when you go on a road test with other drivers that there are way worst and you may loose a heart beat everyonce in awhile lol...if your not used 2 driving vehicles of equivent size MAKE SURE YOU ARE AIMING HIGH IN STEERING it will center car in traffic lane...good luck.

What is the purpose of pulling the E-Brake at stops or waiting for traffic to clear? Is this something that UPS endorses themselves as I have never been shown this in other situations except when they came to a stop to deliver a package to a customer. Will this be covered in the training class? Thanks again.

chris9834

Also the cars imo are pretty for given and easy to shift. I got 3 demerits on my road test but I was a former Fed Ex Ground driver of 4 yrs and am very comfortable with pkg cars, and had alot of UPS friends that told me about some of the company policies like the ebrake. Also make sure u are looking in your mirrors every 5 to 8 seconds using the triangle view method they will look to see if your atleast looking, Look straight ahead left mirror, straight ahead, right mirror and then straight again and so on. These tips im telling you are mainly bonus tips but just focus on driving with common sense and shifting that is the main focus of this road test. You will be nervous I was with experience but alot of ppl come from the warehouse with nothing but experience driving a Honda Civic lol.

JoeR

Also the cars imo are pretty for given and easy to shift. I got 3 demerits on my road test but I was a former Fed Ex Ground driver of 4 yrs and am very comfortable with pkg cars, and had alot of UPS friends that told me about some of the company policies like the ebrake. Also make sure u are looking in your mirrors every 5 to 8 seconds using the triangle view method they will look to see if your atleast looking, Look straight ahead left mirror, straight ahead, right mirror and then straight again and so on. These tips im telling you are mainly bonus tips but just focus on driving with common sense and shifting that is the main focus of this road test. You will be nervous I was with experience but alot of ppl come from the warehouse with nothing but experience driving a Honda Civic lol.

Great tips. Thank you for the information. Always helps to hear from the professionals there.

CHALLY9TX

I wouldn't worry about pulling the ebrake yet. Worry about all the common sense stuff....obeying speed limit, using turn signals, shifting properly, etc.....
When I took the road test the supervisor let us drive around the building property to get a feel for the package car. Hopefully they let you do that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JoeR

I wouldn't worry about pulling the ebrake yet. Worry about all the common sense stuff....obeying speed limit, using turn signals, shifting properly, etc.....
When I took the road test the supervisor let us drive around the building property to get a feel for the package car. Hopefully they let you do that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Thank you for the information. Is this an immediate drive test tomorrow or is there any classroom work first? Again, this is my first day at UPS and I would like to know something about what will happen tomorrow. Another question sI had above is that I have been put into the position of Load/Unload PM. Driving already? Os this what I may be looking at?

Thanks again.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I'm kinda confused. Maybe you can help me out. If they are hiring you for a load/unload position, why would you need to know how to drive a package car stick shift?

JoeR

I'm kinda confused. Maybe you can help me out. If they are hiring you for a load/unload position, why would you need to know how to drive a package car stick shift?

Exactly.... My question too. I was told to bring in the completed paperwork from my DOT physical and my driver's license as tomorrow starts my road test at 11:00am. I mean are they going to put me in a truck and say lets see what you can do or is there any classwork first as to what they expect and how they want us to perform? Tomorrow is my first day of work with UPS. I am just curious.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
That's something the HR rep should have made clear to you. Sounds like a driver position to me, not a load/unload. Load/unloaders don't take physicals as far as I know, unless things have changed.

JoeR

That's something the HR rep should have made clear to you. Sounds like a driver position to me, not a load/unload. Load/unloaders don't take physicals as far as I know, unless things have changed.

So do you know if there is classwork that will be completed first for teaching or is road test immediately? My HR Rep did not go into too much detail. I am trying to understand how the process works. Thank you for the information. Really helps to understand.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

I was thinking that too but then I wondered if they hired him under that title to satisfy the hire from inside rule...the 7:1 thing.

CHALLY9TX

You'll take the road test so that they can see if you can handle driving stick. Then they'll put you through class so that you can drive the "ups way"......for example using the ebrake.......

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It's been 39 years since I went thru the process, but I believe you get a physical/drug screen first. Pass that then do a road test. Pass that then you go to class to learn methods and DOK's and stuff. It's all downhill from there. lol

JoeR

You'll take the road test so that they can see if you can handle driving stick. Then they'll put you through class so that you can drive the "ups way"......for example using the ebrake.......

Sent using BrownCafe App

Thank you for this answer. This really helps to calm the so called nerves. I'm ready just would like to know as much as possible before stepping too deep in the quicksand. Thanks again.

JoeR

Thank you for this answer. This really helps to calm the so called nerves. I'm ready just would like to know as much as possible before stepping too deep in the quicksand. Thanks again.

I appreciate everyone's help. I am looking forward to a new endeavor. You have really helped quite a alot.

upschuck

This was the second thread like this today, the first one said she was hired as a preloader, not worked any, and now road testing. Maybe they are not getting enough people wanting to drive the brown truck, so they are doing it this way.