Newly Hired Temporary Cover Driver Needing Some Advice...

Greetings...I've been with UPS for about 6 years now...I signed the bid list for temporary cover driver, was selected, finished the training class successfully, trained with a sup on road for 2 days and was released to the wolves after that. I was driving for a week by myself(well actually 3 days that week), I'll admit I didn't exactly shine my first week, but I made SIGNIFICANT progress by the final day I was out there. Since then I have not driven at all and this is beginning of the 4th week of no work....I used to work at a law office during the day, but had to give that up in order to be available to drive. I report this morning and the guy tells me "just go ahead and work in the warehouse AGAIN this week and come back next week".

My question is...as TCD's do we have any rights? Is there something I can do about this? Any help or advice would be appreciated...

Justaname

If your part time doing seasonal cover than you have no guarantee for driving I'm pretty sure. At my center when you sign cover driver, you usually work your normal shift and they'll let you know if they need you to drive the following day. Not sure how other centers handle it, mines a smaller one though.

OptimusPrime

When you say TCD I assume it's seasonal. Basically you are boned. I would just be straight forward and honest with you center manager. Lay it all out. "Look her pal, my old job was X dollars, plus my PT UPS, so unless our numbers match up, I'm going to bounce." If your building is doing things on the up and up, seasonal performance wont get you leap frogged ahead of other guys looking to go FT PC. Don't listen to management about a "foot in the door". Just dangling a carrot.

Thanks for your input...Optimus Prime I signed the bid list for TCD...It's not just seasonal work...I am now in the system as a TCD and my checks are now routed to the center I'm supposed to be driving for. The union rep said file a grievance.... I do not want to ruffle any feathers cause I Know they will never put me out there. At my center, you are hired as a TCD and you gradually work your way up to driving 4-5 days a week. You may do this for years until a full time spot opens up...I know many cover drivers who drive everyday...but are not full time....I've explained my situation to them, but you know they don't care...The excuse last week was the storm, now they are telling me "we gotta get the drivers helpers out there" WTF does that have to do with me? I pretty much quit my job thinking this was the opportunity I have been waiting for. I thought I had finally "Made it". I've considered many things, maybe they are doing this so that I won't make my probationary period before Jan and they can release me after peak. Maybe someone with seniority is taking he route? Ad it's not just me...I've talked to drivers that say they've only driven 1 day in the last 3 weeks....This is very disappointing.....