**News Flash AETNA LTD Forces Workers to file for SSDI****

TXgabby

Yes it's true. I am currently a 30 employee who is out on LTD for Stage 4 cancer and after 6 months trying to get approved for LTD benefits, AETNA is now forcing me to apply for SSDI!
I either have to apply or they will deduct an estimated amount from my LTD benefits. Now that I don't have enough to worry about, I have to go through hell to try and get SSDI. If I do not get SSDI then they will stop my benefits!!! Outrageous! Please let everyone know UPS and Teamsters hide behind AETNA and fail to let you know that this is a requirement. Please be aware and what ever you do DO NOT USE ALLSUP!!!!

TXgabby

AETNA told the union that if I didn't apply by a certain time they were going to reduce my benefits effective immediately. The union said their council states in the contract that we have to go by AETNA Policy.

trickpony1

Aetna promotes Allsup as a smooth way to transition to SSDI (with no fee). There's a reason everyone is sweet on Allsup.

You still haven't answered my question:
Did you call the people I suggested?
I know someone who did the STD then LTD thing. They had no trouble getting approved for LTD but their situation wasn't anywhere near as serious as yours.

Please answer my questions.

UPS Preloader

Yes it's true. I am currently a 30 employee who is out on LTD for Stage 4 cancer and after 6 months trying to get approved for LTD benefits, AETNA is now forcing me to apply for SSDI!
I either have to apply or they will deduct an estimated amount from my LTD benefits. Now that I don't have enough to worry about, I have to go through hell to try and get SSDI. If I do not get SSDI then they will stop my benefits!!! Outrageous! Please let everyone know UPS and Teamsters hide behind AETNA and fail to let you know that this is a requirement. Please be aware and what ever you do DO NOT USE ALLSUP!!!!

Yes, You have to apply for SSDI. That is a very common practice. If you are approved for SSDI, your disability benefit will be reduced accordingly. If you are denied SSDI, your disability benefit will remain the same. It will not be reduced if you are denied SSDI.

TXgabby

Yes, You have to apply for SSDI. That is a very common practice. If you are approved for SSDI, your disability benefit will be reduced accordingly. If you are denied SSDI, your disability benefit will remain the same. It will not be reduced if you are denied SSDI.
Are you speaking from experience or hearsay? Are you 100% sure if denied my benefits will continue? Just curious. Thanks

trickpony1

Dr appointments all day tomorrow.

You need to ask your doctor, point blank, what, exactly, the nature of communications between himself and Aetna have been.

Aetna will dog your doctor excessively to the point of squeezing a prognosis out of him that may/may not be factual.

Tell your doc the dilemma you are in and ask for his help.

Your post #1 suggests that you have been out on LTD....."and after six months trying to get approved for LTD benefits". If you were approved for STD then LTD should be no problem....in my opinion.

I'm trying to help you to the best of my abilities and experience. I never claimed to be an attorney. I'm just a truck driver that may know someone who went through a situation like yours but not quite as intense.

TXgabby

You need to ask your doctor, point blank, what, exactly, the nature of communications between himself and Aetna have been.

Aetna will dog your doctor excessively to the point of squeezing a prognosis out of him that may/may not be factual.

Tell your doc the dilemma you are in and ask for his help.

Your post #1 suggests that you have been out on LTD....."and after six months trying to get approved for LTD benefits". If you were approved for STD then LTD should be no problem....in my opinion.

I'm trying to help you to the best of my abilities and experience. I never claimed to be an attorney. I'm just a truck driver that may know someone who went through a situation like yours but not quite as intense.
I received STD with no issues. When I applied for LTD before my STD ran out. It took 6 months to get approved. I went 6 months with no income. They did finally approve and back paid. Then hit me with this. It's not easy for me to put my family through more drama that I don't feel is necessary at this time. I do appreciate your help and support on this issue. I don't want any UPSERS to have to go through what I am going through just to get some answers. HR is of no help. I will keep everyone posted and hopefully help anyone who needs answers from my experience.

TXgabby

Wow did not know that. I do know UPS is self insured and AETNA is just the third party administrator. UPS does have the last say in all cases. UPS hides behind them as does the union. This is why I am posting, to let employees know that when the contract states you are eligible to receive LTD benefits for 5 years, there are certain stipulations that chose not to disclose.

Inthegame

Wow did not know that. I do know UPS is self insured and AETNA is just the third party administrator. UPS does have the last say in all cases. UPS hides behind them as does the union. This is why I am posting, to let employees know that when the contract states you are eligible to receive LTD benefits for 5 years, there are certain stipulations that chose not to disclose.
NM Art 34 Sec 1 sub (j) sub (4) gives the third party administrators Summary Plan Description wide latitude. The 5 years are maximums not guaranteed by the contract as (sub) 4 provides the controlling language. So there is disclosure, just murky.
You most likely have an appeal process in the SPD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MetLife administers our plan and the SSDI requirement is clearly spelled out.

I would bet my check that Aetna has the same or similar language in their plan description.

I recently retired in Dec of 2015. I was on short term disability and then 2 months before moving into LTD, I started the paperwork with Aetna. I was always on the phone making sure there was no problems with going from STD to LTD. I had fusion in my neck, so I had full support from my Doctor on my medical condition. After being approved for LTD from Aetna I was contacted by Allsup and had a oral interview over the phone with them( that was about 2-3 weeks after being on LTD) They then sent me paperwork to start the process for SSDI. I agreed to do this and was approved for SSDI 5 months later. I continued on Aetna LTD for 8 months at which I decided to retire due to my condition was not going to allow me to go back to work. So I am now collecting a pension and SSDI and had no issues with Aetna or Allsup

TXgabby

I recently retired in Dec of 2015. I was on short term disability and then 2 months before moving into LTD, I started the paperwork with Aetna. I was always on the phone making sure there was no problems with going from STD to LTD. I had fusion in my neck, so I had full support from my Doctor on my medical condition. After being approved for LTD from Aetna I was contacted by Allsup and had a oral interview over the phone with them( that was about 2-3 weeks after being on LTD) They then sent me paperwork to start the process for SSDI. I agreed to do this and was approved for SSDI 5 months later. I continued on Aetna LTD for 8 months at which I decided to retire due to my condition was not going to allow me to go back to work. So I am now collecting a pension and SSDI and had no issues with Aetna or Allsup
Congratulations. Sounds almost too good to be true. SSDI in record time! I have never heard of that. So happy you are doing well.

I believe if you have a serious medical condition with support from your doctor filling out the paperwork properly, getting approved for LTD and SSDI should not be a problem. Allsup from what I have been told will evaluate your medical issue and then go thru the time and expense that they feel will be successful. I believe they get paid by Aetna for their service and I would imagine when they do decide to file for you they feel your chances are good to get approved for SSDI. The push for this from Aetna is they then don't have to pay out any disability payments. I never received a penny from Aetna. I live in California and here collect state disability for 52 weeks. My objective from being approved for LTD was to continue with my health benefits after STD was exhausted. So if I did not get approved for SSDI, I was still receiving disability payments from state disability for 52 weeks. I also was a 30 year employee (last 18 in feeder) and decided after getting approved for SSDI in August and my condition not allowing to go back, retirement looked pretty good. The only issue with Aetna was they would call every 45-60 days to review how I was progressing.

browned out

What is ALLSUP? Don't worry about having to apply for SSDI. This is just Aetna's way of trying to save money. When I was on short term disability transitioning to long term disability; Aetna informed me of my need to apply for SSDI. I had no desire to go on SSDI as I knew I would return to my UPS career. OR If for some reason I could not; I would find another job. My condition would not have prohibited me from finding some kind of job. I first had a Physical to see if I was a candidate for SSDI. Next; Aetna informed me that I needed to have a Mental Exam. I did that as well. I was denied SSDI which was fine with me. I never wanted SSDI. Aetna requested that I file.

As far as I know; you do not need to be approved to satisfy Aetna's request; you only need to apply.

You have much bigger things to worry about, Stay strong and keep fighting.

brown bomber

brown bomber