Next Year’s Medical Plan

MassWineGuy

Is anyone concerned about next year’s medical benefits? I have absolutely no knowledge about it but I fear that the cost is going to increase dramatically. If so, it would, of course, be a further real world reduction of our wages. But maybe I’m just being negative.

dezguy

Our payments didn't go up this year for the first time in the two + decades I've been here.

They say it's because they know covid has affected all of us but I'm willing to bet they'll use that as one of the reasons they can't give us a raise in October.

MassWineGuy

Our payments didn't go up this year for the first time in the two + decades I've been here.

They say it's because they know covid has affected all of us but I'm willing to bet they'll use that as one of the reasons they can't give us a raise in October.

What plan are you talking about? My family coverage increased about $18 a week.

I'm sure we won't get a raise this year.

Did anyone notice that the company's free life insurance went from $25,000 of coverage to $23,000 this year?

AB831

Is anyone concerned about next year’s medical benefits? I have absolutely no knowledge about it but I fear that the cost is going to increase dramatically. If so, it would, of course, be a further real world reduction of our wages. But maybe I’m just being negative.
We have a great plan, as long as you never get sick and never need any kind of procedures done.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You’re being realistic. I wait every year for the bomb to drop. If it doesn’t, good. If it does, I’m not surprised.

bacha29

We have a great plan, as long as you never get sick and never need any kind of procedures done.
Want to know what you're benefit plan is going to look like in a few years? Take a look at the benefit plan contractor employed drivers are working under.........There isn't any. Memphis Fats obviously sees the production turned out by contractor employed drivers what they're getting paid along with the zero to near zero benefit plan and says......."Well bless my soul .If this is what contractors are getting away with so can I".
Seriously, if any Express employee especially the meat in the seats expects to be rewarded with a good pension and retirement healthcare plan,.........they'd better think again because the security they're counting on appears to be riding off into the sunset.

MassWineGuy

Most likely true. A long time driver at my station is retiring with a good pension. If I’m lucky I’ll get $200/month from that when I go.

McFeely

Huge Member
Most likely true. A long time driver at my station is retiring with a good pension. If I’m lucky I’ll get $200/month from that when I go.

Surely you knew this long ago and have been pumping up your 401k and have other investments? You’re PT so I assume your expenses aren’t crazy right?

MassWineGuy

Just the usual mortgage, food, utilities, insurance. I was never counting on the pension. All I have is the 401k along with my wife’s retirement accounts. I’m aiming to work at least another four or five years. Then, Social Security will pay more. I would love to invest in some other things if I had the money. I live in a very expensive part of the country, as well.

MattKeller

The income gap will widen significantly. You are correct. Healthcare is one of the major topics heading into this next election. People are hurting already and rising medical costs will be catastrophic for middle-low income families.

dezguy

What plan are you talking about? My family coverage increased about $18 a week.

I'm sure we won't get a raise this year.

Did anyone notice that the company's free life insurance went from $25,000 of coverage to $23,000 this year?
Our health plan, in Canada is different from yours down there since we have universal healthcare.

dezguy

And Canada hasn’t disintegrated completely? Wish we had the same here.
Not as of yet, although there are plenty of people here who would rather our healthcare system be like the US.

I can’t wait for Dano to tell you how universal healthcare doesn’t work
It's has its advantages and disadvantages, for sure. We have longer wait times for elective surgeries than you guys but knowing, if I end up getting sick I'm not going to go bankrupt because of it makes it worth it, for me.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I can’t wait for Dano to tell you how universal healthcare doesn’t work

I'd never say such a thing. It works. Of course, it's less efficient than a market system and you're taxed through the nose to pay for benefits that you'll never need, but it "works."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not as of yet, although there are plenty of people here who would rather our healthcare system be like the US.

It's has its advantages and disadvantages, for sure. We have longer wait times for elective surgeries than you guys but knowing, if I end up getting sick I'm not going to go bankrupt because of it makes it worth it, for me.

Most Americans who get sick don't go bankrupt, either. Just saying.