night shift package handler

Im gonna be working 10pm -3am as a package handler. I know i will have to put a lot of time in to advance in the company. Im trying to be a driver at some point. My question is.......Is the advancement opportunity beter working nightshift? The HR person told me that they hire 6 nightshift package handlers a week because so many people quit. Does this mean that i could advance quicker because so many people around me are quitting?

blue efficacy

No. All part timers go on the same seniority list, regardless of shift. It is your seniority number that will in many years possibly win you a chance at a driver job.

Damn they make you work 5hours...They only give me about 3hours at the most a day if anyone knows what position will give you the most hours in ups please speak up thank you! Im not even making $100 at the end of the week all it pays for is my gas and 2meals...Could I file grievance ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Damn they make you work 5hours...They only give me about 3hours at the most a day if anyone knows what position will give you the most hours in ups please speak up thank you! Im not even making $100 at the end of the week all it pays for is my gas and 2meals...Could I file grievance ?

You are guaranteed 3.5 hours. You forfeit the guarantee if you agree to leave early. You must tell them you want your guarantee if you are asked to leave early.

So I tell my supervisors "I want my guarantee of 3.5 hours" ,but I noticed everyone clocks out around the same time and my paychecks I only average out about 10hours at the most a week when can ups give me a split shift or do I need to work my way up for that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would I need to speak to the HR department for that or just ask my supervisor?

You are guaranteed 3.5 hours daily, 17.5 hours weekly. If you are asked to leave early and you do you forfeit the guarantee. If you decline and say that you want your guarantee they need to find something for you to do. It's that simple.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So I tell my supervisors "I want my guarantee of 3.5 hours" ,but I noticed everyone clocks out around the same time and my paychecks I only average out about 10hours at the most a week when can ups give me a split shift or do I need to work my way up for that?

Here is what I would do.

Get a good knowledgable steward and explain your situation.

You tell your FT supervisor, or manager - with no steward, that you are NOT leaving until 3.5 hours are up, if you do leave you will be paid for 3.5 hours by grievance. Be polite but firm. They will cave in.

If not:

You tell your FT supervisor, or manager - with a steward, that you are NOT leaving until 3.5 hours are up and if you do leave you will be paid for 3.5 hours by grievance. Be polite but firm. They will cave in.

That is about the extent of it. Either by working or not working, you will get paid. The company will choose working.