NLRB is now aware of Letters and Harassment of Employees Rights

smart girl

After numerous harassment by management teams and stifling of Employees
rights to speak of contract to fellow workers, and the letter sent to Worldport
employees basically pointing out education credits they enjoy and to continue these benefits they should vote Yes. Now employees are being told whom or who they can talk too? The NLRB
in areas affected are getting many complaints and possible action now.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
employees basically pointing out education credits they enjoy and to continue these benefits they should vote Yes. Now employees are being told whom or who they can talk too? The NLRB

Oh no...not the NLRB...

stink219

Oh no...not the NLRB...
Your back? What arbitration cases were you involved in again?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Smartgirl, it depends on if they are doing it on the clock and if it's slowing down or stopping "fair days work." So far as I know, we can chat about anything under the sun so long as it doesn't stop progress or fall under the no no section of the code of conduct. The only time stewards are allowed to talk shop is before the sort, after the sort, and during lunch/break. Or if there is a something going on that involves a steward. Other than that, we get paid to move cardboard.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Smartgirl, it depends on if they are doing it on the clock and if it's slowing down or stopping "fair days work." So far as I know, we can chat about anything under the sun so long as it doesn't stop progress or fall under the no no section of the code of conduct. The only time stewards are allowed to talk shop is before the sort, after the sort, and during lunch/break. Or if there is a something going on that involves a steward. Other than that, we get paid to move cardboard.

What do you mean by "talk shop"? I routinely answer contractual and work rule questions -- on the clock -- all the time. If someone walks by my area on the way to the bathroom and spends 30 seconds asking me a quick question, there's no problem there. Now, if you mean work out a contractual dispute between a bargaining unit member and management before it hits a grievance, then I only do that at management's discretion or off-the-clock.

Quite frankly, I'm all for eliminating the NLRB if it allows us to return to the way we organized in the 1930's. The NLRB emerged during one of the most militant eras in American labor. The Labor Board, historically, has really only "slowed down" rank-and-file job actions. Before the NLRB, labor unions would strike and workers would hit the streets over deadlocked grievances. For example: UPS refuses to fill the 22.3 jobs they owe us and the grievance deadlocks; we wouldn't just wring our hands and ask an arbitrator to spank big bad brown for us. We would shut the entire UPS network down.

A

anonymous6

please don't be so naïve. the nlrb is a tool and that's being kind. do some research.

smart girl

Exactly as it is your right under Labor Act. However, numerous levels of strongarmed tactics like the Worldport letter is really management gonna muck. I am wondering if UPS knows what country their in?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What do you mean by "talk shop"? I routinely answer contractual and work rule questions -- on the clock -- all the time. If someone walks by my area on the way to the bathroom and spends 30 seconds asking me a quick question, there's no problem there. Now, if you mean work out a contractual dispute between a bargaining unit member and management before it hits a grievance, then I only do that at management's discretion or off-the-clock.

Management here has a zero-tolerance policy toward discussing union-related matters on the clock, unless it's been designated as necessary (official) business. Very much a YMMV situation.

please don't be so naïve. the nlrb is a tool and that's being kind. do some research.

What do you expect after 20 of 28 years of appointments by conservative leadership? No wonder Republicans oppose Obama's labor-friendly appointments.