NMB ruling will makes it easier to go union

unionman

The National Mediation Board proposed to change a decades-old rule to make it easier for airline and railway workers to unionize, according to media reports on Monday. The NMB said late last week that it wanted to change a rule under the Railway Labor Act of 1926 that tallied abstentions as votes against union membership. However, the agency is meeting resistance from Chairperson Elizabeth Dougherty, who said the process by which the proposal was drafted was "flawed," the Wall Street Journal reported. Dougherty is one of three chairpersons for the NMB, the other two of which support the measure.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The National Mediation Board proposed to change a decades-old rule to make it easier for airline and railway workers to unionize, according to media reports on Monday. The NMB said late last week that it wanted to change a rule under the Railway Labor Act of 1926 that tallied abstentions as votes against union membership. However, the agency is meeting resistance from Chairperson Elizabeth Dougherty, who said the process by which the proposal was drafted was "flawed," the Wall Street Journal reported. Dougherty is one of three chairpersons for the NMB, the other two of which support the measure.

I wonder how big Elizabeth's check was? Fred can be very generous to those that agree with him. She's on the payroll.

The Mayor

Will this have any bearing on the current legislation that is stalled in the Senate? HR 915, the FAA Reauthorization Act? From my understanding, it is being held up now due to the current push for healthcare legislation and is not due to be voted on until sometime next year.

unionman

Will this have any bearing on the current legislation that is stalled in the Senate? HR 915, the FAA Reauthorization Act? From my understanding, it is being held up now due to the current push for healthcare legislation and is not due to be voted on until sometime next year.
That is correct. It is expected to pass but has been put off until the healthcare act passes.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I think FDX Aircraft Maintenance (MX) should become Teamsters, that way UPS & FDX can trade MX services on common fleets and thereby lower Mechanic (AMT) headcount.

Is this a good business decision??

If you owned FDX or UPS personally, with your personal funds at stake, would you, could you consider an initiative like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
She is Republican but she is outnumbered on the National Mediation Board. The tide is turning in labors favor.

That would explain it. The "Chamber of Commerce" party doesn't much care for organized labor, does it? Perhaps she had to check with the head of the party (Limbaugh) before she made that statement.

BrownBlue

New Jack
The "flaw" was most likely just a ruse. Usually when a polititian says its "flawed" then doesn't explain why, they don't have a good reason, except they've been lobbied to go against it. It is very common practice, you are taught about it in early political history courses in college. Hope that helps.

unionman

The "flaw" was most likely just a ruse. Usually when a polititian says its "flawed" then doesn't explain why, they don't have a good reason, except they've been lobbied to go against it. It is very common practice, you are taught about it in early political history courses in college. Hope that helps.
Interesting. that would make sense, I don't think she has a chance of winning so she is trying to get something in return, like the same type of vote to kick the union out.

bbsam

Staff member
Or negotiating tactic? Hold something close and deal it down in return for something more reasonably achieved?

bbsam

Staff member
The "flaw" would be anything remotely pro-union. What else would you expect from a Republican?
Actually I was kinda interested in the argument. You know, see if there was anything past political bickering. Maybe try to follow the logic. I have found it interesting in the past. Just passing things off as liberal or Republican, conservative, Democrat gets a bit lame.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually I was kinda interested in the argument. You know, see if there was anything past political bickering. Maybe try to follow the logic. I have found it interesting in the past. Just passing things off as liberal or Republican, conservative, Democrat gets a bit lame.

I agree, but politics of late have pretty much followed the party line. What's to discuss when you've got Limbaugh on the Right and the usual suspects on the left. No debate, just talking points.

FedEx courier

Her saying it is "flawed" is just an easy way to try and dismiss it because she doesn't agree with it. I hate to point out the obvious but Republicans are typically anti-union at any cost. In her mind employees having the right to vote for something she disagrees with is probably what she means by "flawed". What is really "flawed" logic in this situation is FedEx claiming they aren't anti-union in any way but then lobbying to the last breath against the change in classification. I just can't get over the "brownbailout" concept. It is just completely absurd to claim that something that actually would help the labor status of their employees is a bailout for another company.