purehavanne

Am I the only one who caught this proposal? In section 25 they’re asking the company to call back all drivers by 9pm and no one can be disciplined for missed pieces. EVEN in peak!

Could this be the section that causes the strike?

Or are they trolling?

CoolStoryBro

Am I the only one who caught this proposal? In section 25 they’re asking the company to call back all drivers by 9pm and no one can be disciplined for missed pieces. EVEN in peak!

Could this be the section that causes the strike?

Or are they trolling?

Strike because UPS won't enact a 9PM curfew? Cool Story Bro. How have we made it this far without a curfew.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Am I the only one who caught this proposal?

It's already been discussed.

(New) Section 25 Employee Safety

"For the purpose of driver safety and package security, no driver shall be required to make deliveries and/or pickups after 9:00 pm. No discipline will be issued to any driver who misses stops and/or refuses to make stops after 9:00 pm. The driver, as soon as practicable, shall notify his/her center of potential service failures under this language. Any driver who is suspended or terminated for missing and/or refusing to make stops after 9:00 pm shall receive back pay at his/her triple rate of pay. This language is in effect for the entirety of this Agreement, including but not limited to the months of November and December."

I don’t find the request absurd.

If the company is truly concerned about "safety"....

This one, is a no-brainer.

-Bug-

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This addition is actually more important to me than 9.5 language. No matter if they start you at 8:45 or 10:45, this puts a hardcap on hours worked, and extends into peak unlike current and proposed 9.5 language.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm confused about the part saying drivers who opt out of 9.5 shall receive a dollar increase in pay rate.

It is what it says it is. Although it is only a proposal. May not, probably will not, make it to the contract.

The Union is asking that no drivers work over 9.5, period. The existing contract enforces 9.5 if you work over 9.5 for 3 days. The proposal eliminates the 3 day requirement.

Anyone opting out will receive $1/hr more. This proposal is for all hours worked.

Your pay rate will be $1 more, but be prepared to work 11 or 12 hours per day, with no recourse.

Brisket

It is what it says it is. Although it is only a proposal. May not, probably will not, make it to the contract.

The Union is asking that no drivers work over 9.5, period. The existing contract enforces 9.5 if you work over 9.5 for 3 days. The proposal eliminates the 3 day requirement.

Anyone opting out will receive $1/hr more. This proposal is for all hours worked.

Your pay rate will be $1 more, but be prepared to work 11 or 12 hours per day, with no recourse.

Um, pass.

TheDick

Idk bout yous guys but my division has had such horrible volume availability that we start later n later. If the 9pm cap wentr into effect, we would by some form of MAGIC have a preload that shuts down 2 hrs earlier every day n wow what good was that language!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In section 25 they’re asking the company to call back all drivers by 9pm and no one can be disciplined for missed pieces. EVEN in peak!

(New) Section 25 Employee Safety

"For the purpose of driver safety and package security, no driver shall be required to make deliveries and/or pickups after 9:00 pm. No discipline will be issued to any driver who misses stops and/or refuses to make stops after 9:00 pm. The driver, as soon as practicable, shall notify his/her center of potential service failures under this language. Any driver who is suspended or terminated for missing and/or refusing to make stops after 9:00 pm shall receive back pay at his/her triple rate of pay.

The language does not require the company to call all drivers in by 9, it says the company cannot require employees to make stops after 9 or discipline drivers for refusing to make stops after 9. It gives the drivers who want the hours a great opportunity to get them, and protects those who don't want excessive OT. It also seems as though you could call it quits any time after 9 if you decide you've had enough.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Idk bout yous guys but my division has had such horrible volume availability that we start later n later. If the 9pm cap wentr into effect, we would by some form of MAGIC have a preload that shuts down 2 hrs earlier every day n wow what good was that language!

Hopefully give the company some good motivation to fix their flow issues.

TheDick

Idk I think my particular div mgr did I on purpose to squeeze my center into absorbing more volume in less time. He got sent another facility in my division cuz that bldg needs it's own division manager!!

542thruNthru

The language does not require the company to call all drivers in by 9, it says the company cannot require employees to make stops after 9 or discipline drivers for refusing to make stops after 9. It gives the drivers who want the hours a great opportunity to get them, and protects those who don't want excessive OT. It also seems as though you could call it quits any time after 9 if you decide you've had enough.

The problem I see is that it states deliveries/pick ups. What my and I'm sure tons of other managers will do is require you to go to another driver at 9pm and unload your remaining stops into that drivers truck. Of course this driver will probably be 20min away, plus unload time. Then drive back to the building. So you still won't be getting off work till 1030ish.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Idk I think my particular div mgr did I on purpose to squeeze my center into absorbing more volume in less time. He got sent another facility in my division cuz that bldg needs it's own division manager!!
I don't see how they can seriously justify making decisions that make it impossible to deliver air on time. Maybe there is a consensus in upper management that time commitments don't matter, or there's a metric they follow that allows for a certain amount of late air. But my thinking is that there is a failure somewhere if we aren't getting out of the building before 9:30. Having a curfew will lead to more missed, which will put more pressure on the powers that be to fix the failures that cause the late leave building times, or put more routes in the plan. My guess is they would rather do the former.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The problem I see is that it states deliveries/pick ups. What my and I'm sure tons of other managers will do is require you to go to another driver at 9pm and unload your remaining stops into that drivers truck. Of course this driver will probably be 20min away, plus unload time. Then drive back to the building. So you still won't be getting off work till 1030ish.
Except that driver won't have to deliver either. If that driver wants the work, and assuming he/she still has more stops, and assuming a 9 am start time, there's a good chance they won't get done in 14 hours.

35years

Gravy route
This is a good proposal in addition to 9.5 protection (8 P.M. would be MUCH better). But without 9.5 protection I would be punching out at 9:50-10:00 P.M. everyday with the curfew, considering the drive in and checkout. In practice this only cuts an hour off of daily peak hours, and really no impact the rest of the year.

If we can't have both, I would take the new everyday 9.5 protection language over the 9 P.M. curfew. Peak would still be 10-11 P.M., but the other 10 months would be awesome with no 9.5s worked.